Thread: Transmission

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Transmission
    Transmission_sml.jpg

Three people sheltering from a storm at a remote tv repeater station discover that something is literally in the air.

2. Collapse Details
    Just couldn't write my way into the last fest. Thought I was going to miss this one too, pre-occupied with warfest. But after being laid up in my disease ridden bed for the last 3 weeks I've been able to cook something up during my more lucid moments. Just hope I'll find time to read everyone's entry, with warfest production delayed 3 weeks i've got a massive month ahead...

3. Collapse Details
    .jpeg ruined my poster
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Egg Born Son; 06-06-2012 at 04:40 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Woohoo! Submitted!

5. Collapse Details
    Great poster. How do you all do these posters?

6. Collapse Details
    Can't speak for others but mine was made purely with the limited digital manipulation available in MS Paint. My source photos were a sunset (manipulated to look like storm clouds), a tower that I superimposed from another photo and crude lightning elements I did by hand. Then I converted the file to 4-bit colour to make the disparate elements gel together. Changed all the colours to make them high contrast (green against pink etc) to generate a bunch of artifacts as I converted it back and forth between different bit depths and formats (.png, .jpg, .bmp, .tiff etc). Final colouring and then added the text. I've got three other posters I made using similar tricks, the whole process took about 2-3 hours for all four including photo selection. The final bitmap looks a lot better with very crisp lines on the text and low contrast 256-bit colour to make it pop off the screen. Had to convert it to .jpeg though for the site to accept the upload and the way it displays here is a disappointingly reduced quality, especially unwanted artifacts around the text. Not that it matters, the script is the important thing. Look forward to reading them all.

7. Collapse Details
    Impressive technique on putting the poster together. I love when people take the technology they're given and they push it way beyond what you'd expect it to do by their sheer inventiveness. Very cool!

8. Collapse Details
    Yeah, between computers right now. Saving up for a dedicated editing computer and don't want to delay it by buying a stop gap so have been using the work laptop for everything at the moment. So Paint it was. I'm sick of jerryrigging everything in life and am looking forward to having the right tool for the job. But you're right, there is a certain amount of satisfaction making tools do things they're not supposed to. I once repaired a washing machine using nothing more than a garlic press and a butter knife...girlfriend thought I was nuts!

9. Collapse Details
    She was probably right - anyone who writes or makes films IS most likely nuts. Did her clothes smell like garlic afterwards?

10. Collapse Details
    Women are always right. Just ask them. No, in this case she was right. I broke both the press and the knife in the process but in my defence I did fix the machine. Was treated with suspicion every time I entered the kitchen for weeks after that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast