1. Collapse Details
    Lavs and connectors---- do I need many or can I use adapters?
    Hi All,
    I am considering an new lav (currently have a countryman B6 with XLR for a wired setup). The Rode Lav is supposed to save money because of their swapable connectors, but I'm curious why I can't just get an adapter for the Sanken Cos-11 and have that be the same thing... like can't I just get the lectrosonics or mini connector for a wireless transmitter and just plug an adapter to XLR for when i want to go wired?
    Thanks!!
    sns
    The actress slipped into the water.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by shortnstout View Post
    Hi All,
    I am considering an new lav (currently have a countryman B6 with XLR for a wired setup). The Rode Lav is supposed to save money because of their swapable connectors, but I'm curious why I can't just get an adapter for the Sanken Cos-11 and have that be the same thing... like can't I just get the lectrosonics or mini connector for a wireless transmitter and just plug an adapter to XLR for when i want to go wired?
    Thanks!!
    sns
    Yes indeed. Such adapters/power supplies are readily available, albeit a bit pricey (about $100 or a little more). One such is the Eumel from Ambient. Note that a simple connector adapter, say 1/8 TRS to XLR off the shelf at your local music store, will NOT work, it must also function as a power supply. You need a some electronics inside to drop the 48v phantom coming through the XLR down to the ~3 to 5 volt power needed by the lav that's normally supplied by the wireless transmitter, or you need one with a built-in battery, and it needs to put that voltage on the proper conductors in the cable to the lav capsule as required for the particular mic.

3. Collapse Details
    Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
    Yes indeed. Such adapters/power supplies are readily available, albeit a bit pricey (about $100 or a little more). One such is the Eumel from Ambient. Note that a simple connector adapter, say 1/8 TRS to XLR off the shelf at your local music store, will NOT work, it must also function as a power supply. You need a some electronics inside to drop the 48v phantom coming through the XLR down to the ~3 to 5 volt power needed by the lav that's normally supplied by the wireless transmitter and it needs to put that voltage on the proper conductors in the cable to the lav capsule as required for the particular mic.
    Correct - thoth the adaptors actually do more than this.

The mic. is unbalanced and the output fro the XLR is balanced.

So as well as taking the 48V phantom power and down-converting it to 5V plug-in power, it's also balancing the output.
    John Willett
    Sound-Link ProAudio Ltd.
    Circle Sound Services
    President - International Federation of Soundhunters (FICS)
    Chairman - British Sound Recording Association (BSRA)

Recorder: Nagra VI, Nagra SD, AETA 4MinX
    Mics: (all pairs): Sennheiser MKH 20/30/40/800/8020/8040/816F, Neumann KM-D series. Plus: Soundfield SPS200, Neumann TLM 103, KMR 81i + loads more
    DAW: Sequoia
    Monitors: Geithain RL906, Harbeth M30A, K+H O110D
    Headphones: Sennheiser HD 25-1, HD 800
    Monitor Controller: Grace m903

4. Collapse Details
    OK, now I see, this makes sense. Thanks for the great info guys! Love this forum. So the swapable Rode connectors replace $130 connectors, not simple cheap ones. I was confused because I've heard of people buying a set of different lavs for different inputs. Is there a general setup you guys recommend? Meaning, is the Rode the way to go, or is a Sanken Cos-11d with some of these adapters the way to go? I know it all depends on $$ and situation, but just curious to hear recommendations. I used to have a G3, but its gone now, so was considering a Lectrosonics. Would be nice to have a mic that could be wired, and go into a g3 and a lectro. Hmmm. Thanks for helping a new guy!
    The actress slipped into the water.