Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Awesome hack, guess 15 mins of video per 16GB of SDHC card is to be expected. Any change a Flow Motion lite could get close to, or near quality footage but with a smaller footprint? I've been playing around with the max/bit rate settings and the file size difference is marginal at best, maybe the difference of 5 min or so (36min, vs 29min). So it looks like this one is a winner, but with a trip to the store for more SDHC cards.

2. Collapse Details
    @jbcon Flow Motion's 24L, FH, and H video modes are designed to keep peak bitrates below 60Mbps. This should give you about twice as much recording time on your SD card, while maintaining motion picture quality very close to that of the 100Mbps 24H, HBR, and SH modes.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the input, don't know why I didn't think of jumping down to the 24L setting....

I did do this for a few test yestarday and can say now am more confused as to what to do than before. I shot the same scene in both 24H and 24L; a 20 second pan across my bar at home during a dinner party. The 24h file was 158MB, the 24L was only 78MB, which for me over a week long shoot would be the difference I am looking for in file size... however there is a noticeable difference in quality, of which I am sure I notice a whole lot more than anyone who will ever see my footage will ever pickup on, but its the priniciple of the thing right?

Despite going ahead and ordering a few more SDHC cards last night, I am still undecided as to which to shoot at. Over a weeklong shoot my collection of cards will give me aprox, 8 hrs at the 24H setting and nearly 11 hrs at the 24L which is huge over 1000's of shots.

More to be helpful to others who might find themselves in the same boat as me, more than looking for someone's suggestion, or input to help me, here is a frame grab from the two videos, albeit compressed and shrunk-down in the photo; but I think the differences are huge, especially if you look at the wording on the bottles.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks for sharing your test. Even for this grandpa who mainly shoots family it is a struggle to select how much quality is enough. I imagine for professionals the answer is highest quality for sure, but the rest of us struggle the most with how much is OK... Al

5. Collapse Details
    For me there is a very fine line between quality and storage space. What I carry with me for recording media is one thing, but when I get back home and transfer everything to the computer it has to be stored someplace and that takes up room as well.

I am struggling now even with nearly 6TB of storage at home whether to keep all my footage as it comes out of the camera and the .avi's that I transcode before editing. While I generally transcode to a fairly high quality I am of the mind that I do not need both, but ever so often I find a clip that I didn't access during the editing process that I find out later didn't transcode for some reason and if I delete the orginal .mts files there is no getting that file back, so for now I am keeping both, but regardless of how cheap hard drive get, the idea of having that many HDD's that could fail scares me and even using external backup you end up with tons of multiply drives to save off sight...

...anyway I digress this was a forum post about lpowels excellent hack, sorry to have hijacked it with my ramblings.

All my test of this hack show the same thing. The 24H setting if its 100%, than the 24L is about 80% of that as far as quality. Static shots (ones without pans, or camera movement) are closer to 90%, pans and shots with a lot of movement fall off a lot. I would suggest shooting in 24L if you are doing broad static shots and kick it up to 24H for detailed and shots with motions.

This particular project I am preparing for admittedly is a person project, not a paying gig or one for work, but pretty important none the less due to the fact that I am going to a location i haven't been in 25yrs and will serve as a sample documentary for future promotion of my work. I plan on using the 24L setting inside and for closeups while at resturants and for wide static scenery shots outside along the coast of California and switching to 24H for really detailed, low-light shots as well as scenery that I need to pan and has motion.

I only recently switch from a Gh13 to the Gh2, but after trying 6 or 7 other hacks this will be the one that will be on the camera when I leave for the trip. I will cary a couple others I like on extra cards for good measure but do not plan on changing out the hack for the duration.

6. Collapse Details
    I think Flow Motion 2.01 is awesome, I agree. I understand your point about hard disk space. I do not transcode however. I use the mts files directly into my favorite editors: Corel Video Studio X5, and Premiere Pro. Both of these editors swallow mts as made. You must be using an editor that does not work with the mts files from the camera and I recommend you change to an editor that does; it will save you disk space and money in the long run... Al

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jbcon View Post
    ... here is a frame grab from the two videos, albeit compressed and shrunk-down in the photo; but I think the differences are huge, especially if you look at the wording on the bottles.

Thanks for the screenshot! It's very helpful, I love the fine detail in 24H.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Excited to try it out. I was on Driftwood's v9b. Got a 64GB Class 10 Sandisk 30MB/s* card that couldn't handle it. Will either upgrade to the 45MB/s card or use this hack for the time being.

9. Collapse Details
    Excellent work mate, appreciated.

10. Collapse Details
    I guess the correct answer to my question is "it's depend of the situation" but is this hack offer a better performance that the Canis Majoris or...?

Sorry to ask but it's so confusing for people like me who are not camera tuning experts...

thanks

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast