Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sewolla View Post
    Just got a new AC160 last Tuesday, shot a concert with it and my HMC150's and it was a mixed bag with the 160. Had a pretty severe auto focus problem the first half of the show in which it would hold focus for 15 to 20 seconds then go soft until I zoomed out or panned to another musician. Second half of the concert the AC160 performed flawlessly inauto focus. The difference was that in the first half there was a strong side light caused by an open door to the outside that was closed during the second half.
    Well, yeah. Given how crazy lighting can be in a live music show, it seems like any auto-focus system would have issues.

Do you run your camera in full auto mode as well?

2. Collapse Details
    Chris, thank you for the fast response!
    In re-examining the footage, it looks like my focus issue may have been more due to somewhat tricky lighting, that fooled the AF system.
    I have another theatrical shoot this Sunday, I will try your technique and see how she goes.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
    Well, yeah. Given how crazy lighting can be in a live music show, it seems like any auto-focus system would have issues.

Do you run your camera in full auto mode as well?
    This time, yes it was on auto as I was "focusing" on helping a new shooter on the stage left cam, with their set-up. She was running my HMC150. Hadn't had this happen before with the 150, so I thought it would be Ok. Your comment about crazy lighting affecting any af system may be right, I might have been just lucky up to this point.

4. Collapse Details
    Wasn't the new 130A and 160A releasing today i heard no new of it yet? when are they releasing the new ones? waiting for the 160A and hope they fixed the auto focus issue

5. Collapse Details
    @Chris... I am still with my 100' surveyor's tape.

Carrying this around is a minor inconvenience relative to the two-step platform ladder that I usually carry so I can be above the tallest people at an event. Having an 89 inch tripod helps a lot here.

The Bosch DLR130K sounds good. I would caution against mounting it as it could point directly at someone if inadvertently switched on. Having it on a lanyard probably is a better solution.

With the new light you recommended (very nice light) I now have two camera bags to carry, plus a tripod, two very heavy construction lights, and two backpacks filled with 100' extension cords, power bars.

As of next week, I will be adding a Gliders Grey to this. Thank goodness I listened to you and did not go for the Kenyon gyro gear.

So much for trying to be inconspicuous.

At the weekend two-day cultural event that I filmed, one of the entertainers came up and asked me who I was - I responded "I am from the future, here to record your event". They did not say anything after that.

6. Collapse Details
    Hi Walter

I still just trust the camera as I normally don't need to zoom from distances that I cannot judge...Now I threw out my worklights out as the stands and heads are so heavy and halogen lighting is so hard too!! I use a neat pack which has a head with 8 fittings on it and I have 8 x 55W CFL lamps for it...watt for watt they push out more than halogens and the light is a lot softer too!!!

Good luck on the weekend....what you need is a big decal on the cam saying "QCTV Camera 1" no-one will then question you and will assume you are an important TV cameraman!!

Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12