Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Born Son View Post
    If you upgrade to a tapeless option you will never go back.
    I've heard a lot of people say that over the years, but in all honesty, it's really not all that big of a deal to me. The trick is to just do some work while it's capturing. I can see if your in a rush, then yeah, it's a bit slower. But I know a lot of people that have to convert their data to a codec thats friendly to their editor, and that can take just as long and in some cases even longer than a 1-1 capture. So it really gets down to your patience level.

The DVX is a great cam as you know, I recently saw a piece shot on your cam, rigged with a dof adapter, then it was uprezed for output. I have to say, it looked great, vibrant and beautiful color rendition, it had an amazing filmic look that surprised the heck out of me when I found out it was SD footage.

I remember reading an article, it said something like the hvx and dvx use the same sensor or something Like that, But the jest of it was there was very little difference in actual resolution. it said something about pixel shifting to make more native resolution. I wish Barry would chime in here and clarify this as I barely remember. At any rate, its a great cam, always will be, and there's no reason you cant still make some money with it. thing is built like a tank, why they dont build to that level of quality anymore is beyond me. Money I suppose. I would keep it, for what their selling for, it's really worth holding on to.

2. Collapse Details
    Originally Posted by Egg Born Son
    If you upgrade to a tapeless option you will never go back.

Regarding this whole debate ... it really comes down to what you're using the camera for. If you're performing any type of high-volume work where it's essential to get your files transferred quickly, then tapeless is nice. It saves time. But if you're a film student, hobbyist, whatever, and you have the time to capture footage, then tape is still practical. I actually find the capturing process extremely beneficial. It allows me to review all my footage in detail (as it's being captured/played back). It seems like someone who cares about their work would want to review all their footage anyway as part of their workflow.

3. Collapse Details
    This thread caught my eye, so here are a few thoughts from a former DVX100a owner:

Positives
    The cam has a lot of mojo
    For DVD delivery and some web work, the cam is still very relevant
    Your tape is your backup plan
    Cheap to own
    Forgiving on focus

Negatives
    Slower workflow using tape into NLE
    Tape mechanisms require care and maintenance (parts?)
    Only 4:3 native, 16x9 loses some resolution

Grant

4. Collapse Details
    If you know how to light, the DVX is freaking amazing.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HorseFilms View Post
    If you know how to light, the DVX is freaking amazing.
    I agree with that statement 100%

6. Collapse Details
    No that this is a really good reason but, I like the professional look the camera has (compared to a DSLR rig)

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by 100B-user View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you. The technology is taunting me to move beyond tapes, just as memory cards enticed me enough to give up my film cameras for digital...although I will on occassion dust off my Mamiya RB 70. I've actually considered the Nikon D7000 as a combo for video and stills. However, sound is a big issue. When I play with the demo models at whichever electronic store I'm visiting, I sigh, then I come home and admire the beauty that the DVX100b has and I'm grateful for all it's great service it continues to give me year in and year out. Sometimes, old faithful friends can be trusted more than new exciting ones.

I have to say, after using both the DVX100a and two D7000,s. The sound from the D7000 surprized me. We had the DVX locked down in a corner shooting wide with audio set for low and high on the seperated channels. Moving around filming with the D7000. There was a DJ and a guest singer. The sound levels went through the roof and we had no one at the DVX to make adjustments, AGC turned off of course. The audio from the Nikons was excellent. I was shocked, from my experience with the DVX and clipping. Audio from the Nikon's saved the event. Just delivered it and watched it on the clients huge flat screen with an awesome sound system and I was impressed totaly with the Nikons. Love my DVX100a and it did come in very handy. Just wrote all this to say, don't count everything you read about the Nikons as being truth. They do perform. I was shooting at 2200 ISO and 3200 ISO. The DVX was set to 6db. World of difference.

8. Collapse Details
    Nice for vehicle mounting. 24pA will upres pretty nicely for this kind of work. And as was mentioned above, two more pristine channels of XLR audio. I rig mine with a stereo mic from time to time and throw a tape into it. Easy sync with FCP X to my HPX170 shots. These cameras have great color. And as someone also said above, there is nothing like that 2002 look...

9. Collapse Details
    I have just recently purchased an AF100 and will be shooting a short at the end of this month. I currently don't have any plans to get rid of my DVX100a and will probably have fun with it during this shoot as a camera to capture "behind the scenes" footage as the short is being shot.
    Eric Walker
    EverWalk Productions

10. Collapse Details
    We've had times where we hadn't used the DVX in maybe nearly a year. But every time it pops up in the office, when we use it again for logging an old tape, for that one specific job or occasion, it does still amaze. And always we refer to it as 'good old DVX'. It really is still good, and I often wish it wasn't sd. Today I logged some footage with it, last month finished a video with it and it does still look really good. We shoot RED nowadays and while that footage is fantastic, I still long back to the use of the DVX often. It's just such a fun and good camera to use. *sigh*

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast