Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Reasons to keep the DVX100?
    Hey guys, I know this conversation has been talked about a little bit, but I wanted to throw it back out there for 2012. My DVX100 has been good to me, and now I'm looking to possibly upgrade and sell my DVX in the mix to get a little bit of cash for the upgrade. But as most of us are aware... once you get rid of something, you need it again shortly after. So I wanted to see what most peoples opinions are for keeping the DVX100 in the closet for when you might need it. What are the possible scenarios in todays time that might require to break out the DVX100 over other camera options? So the question here is... To sell or not to sell the DVX100? Or Reasons to keep the DVX100?

Thanks

2. Collapse Details
    If you upgrade to a tapeless option you will never go back.

3. Collapse Details
    Live Streaming, Firewire pass though SD A/D convertor, Old Tape Capture device ( I would never do this with an every day production camera but...), Family Event Loaner, Alternate angle for HD PIP shots, Get that "2002 look", and last but not least you might not get that much for it. I sold mine 2 years ago with 4 big batteries and the Official Panasonic hard case for $500. The AG-HT100G case still sells new for $383.

4. Collapse Details
    I've got one client that hires me occasionally only as a camera operator and wants the raw tapes right after the shoot. If you have a client like that, you have the right tool.

But whenever it is my choice I go the tapeless route. Also as Kgimedia says, I don't think you'll get that much on the used market especially if it has a lot of hours.
    ----------------------
    Chuck
    rendering with pixel
    http://www.digitalspectra.com

5. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Im trying to get rid of my DVX100B with Letus35 Extreme. The sad part is a few yrs ago this whole set up costed me more than $4000.00. Now you can't even get half, not even close to half of that if you try to sell it.

6. Collapse Details
    They make really nice on-set audio recorders. The cool thing is you can capture the slate visually, too. If you're shooting DSLR they can be handy for that purpose. (Or sell it and get a dedicated audio recorder, but you asked...)

7. Collapse Details
    Just did a multi-camera conference DVD series with my two 100's and dvc30 that paid more then I'd get on the open market for the cameras. Client was thrilled and planning on another conference in August. 4x3 no less!
    I'd say that's reason enough to keep them........

8. Collapse Details
    Keeping my DVX's, especailly since discovering the Sony MRC1 works so well with it. Actually works better on the DVX than on Sony cams unless you have the Z5 or Z7 because the DVX controls the start/stop from cam same as on the Z5 /Z7 rather than having to hit the dual record buttons on the MIRC1. DVX is still SD but good SD and the cam is a joy to work with.

9. Collapse Details
    I always keep my old cameras until my newer ones are replaced with even newer one.. then the old one (backup) is sold for penny (yes penny not pennies) on the dollars. I don't have enough room to keep everything I buy. I have found on a rare occasion I need the old/backup camera for an overbooked day.

I sold my DVX100B not because it was the oldest, I owned, but the lens was limiting and I had no use for it since I had other old cameras... so I sold my DVX100B for around 1k, a year or two ago. (my old post will show the time period)

I'd say: It still has resale value and eventually it will 'break' to the point that the repair is higher than the value Soooo try to sell it for a fair amount that you would be happy with unless you need it as a backup.

10. Collapse Details
    Reasons to keep it:

- it has CCDs
    - it's SD. Although it is 4x3... Can it shoot in 16x9?
    - good lowlight - if you need SD.
    - it's a small-ish cam
    - it has very little resale value so if you'll want to shoot something that you'll be scared that the camera might get a bump or to (or worse) use the DVX.
    - try to rent the camera. I'm sure that it would get rented a couple of times.
    Sanjin Švajger

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast