Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Nhat Nguyen View Post
    so I'm trying to achieve something like this "The Wanted - Glad You Came"
    This appears to be lit by two broad ( large and soft ) light sources that create a fairly soft light. The light spill has been controlled, so it's not lighting up the rest of the room.

If I was trying to mimic this type of lighting on the cheap, then I would use 2 Lowel Pro lights with black-backed white umbrellas ( soft-boxes would be better, but tungsten soft-boxes are expensive ), and be careful to control any light spill. You will also need at least one light dimmer to adjust the ratio of the fill light.
    Cameras : Panasonic GH4 with factory audio fix, GH3 with Grip
    OIS Zoom : Lumix 12-35mm f/2.8, Lumix 35-100mm f/2.8
    Nikon Primes : 24mm f/2.0, 35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.4, 55mm f/2.8 Micro, 85mm f/2.0, 105mm f/2.8 Micro, 135mm f/2.8, 200mm f/4.0
    SpeedBoosters : Metabones Nikon G, Mitakon Zhongyi Nikon F

2. Collapse Details
    btw one thing i do NOT like about Lowel is their stands, they're pretty compact and lightweight but i always fear that they're not stable and/or durable enough, and with super hot lights stability is a top priority.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by eiker_ir View Post
    btw one thing i do NOT like about Lowel is their stands, they're pretty compact and lightweight but i always fear that they're not stable and/or durable enough
    I have no problems with the larger Lowel stands, but some of the smaller ones are very "toy" like.
    Nikon Primes : 24mm f/2.0, 35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.4, 55mm f/2.8 Micro, 85mm f/2.0, 105mm f/2.8 Micro, 135mm f/2.8, 200mm f/4.0

4. Collapse Details
    I have 3 of their lighter weight stand. And though they do feel a bit lean, in nearly two decades of use I've not had one fail. Just drop a sandbag or extension cord on the legs and never give it another thought. Now I wouldn't try to hang a 1k on them... But for a 250 pro, they've served me fine

5. Collapse Details
    so how about I buy this for starter http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ood_Light.html
    and for a stand a cheap impact lightstand http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...uty_Light.html
    and I'm thinking of getting this also http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ctor_with.html

6. Collapse Details
    I've been using Lowell products for over three decades and many will state all the reasons why I should use something else and they'd be right.

7. Collapse Details
    so how about I buy this for starter http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ood_Light.html
    and for a stand a cheap impact lightstand http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...uty_Light.html
    and I'm thinking of getting this also http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ctor_with.html
    ...You probably want to buy the model that comes with a bulb. ( the model you selected does not include the bulb )

Lowel Pro-Light Focus Flood Light

I would also include a spare $10 bulb, as they are rated to only last 200 hours.

The other gear you selected looks ok. I would also add a couple of black-backed umbrellas to make it easy to soften the light from the Lowel Pro light. The 25 inch will create a smaller and brighter pool of soft light, while the 60 inch will create a large and very soft broad light.

Creative Light 25" White Umbrella : $29

Impact 60" Convertible Umbrella : $29

8. Collapse Details
    does the pro light already come with stuff to attach the umbrella or do I need to buy something else? also do you think I should buy barn doors for the pro light?

9. Collapse Details
    does the pro light already come with stuff to attach the umbrella or do I need to buy something else? also do you think I should buy barn doors for the pro light?
    Yes it has a built-in umbrella mount.

And if you can afford it, I would get the barn-doors too. They are very handy when you want to throw a beam of light and still be able to control how far the light spreads.

10. Collapse Details
    barn doors, a bunch of wood clothes pins (c-47s) a roll of black wrap and a variety of diffusion, correction and effect gels and you'll be ready to handle most basic situations

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast