Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Graeme,

Am I right in thinking that technically you loose 50% vertical resolution? But with decent interpolation it is not as apparent to the eye? Does your filter use parts of the second field when it detects no banding to reduce resolution loss? Just wondering?

2. Collapse Details
    It's smart, so it only de-interlaces parts of the image where it's needed, and then it uses blending so that any loss is minimised. You can if you want choose not to use blending in those areas, so in that case, you'd be down to 50%, but again, they're moving so you never see it. You can't really get much better without rendering for 13 years....

Graeme
    www.nattress.com - Film Effects and Standards Conversion for FCP
    www.red.com - RED - 4k Digital Cinema Camera

3. Collapse Details
    there is also dvfilmmaker for turing FX1 footage to 24p

www.dvfilm.com

more expensive than graemes, but it works on both Mac and PC, and you dont need any other program/NLE to run it. Just have QT installed. I have used it and got great results (until I bought a DVX100a).

One thing I noticed with post 24p processing- it still does not look as good as capturing in 24p (DVX100A,SVX900) and staying 24p all the way to DVD. I ran a test and found the 60i (and then post processed to 24p w/DVFilm) footage did not look as smooth or a crisp as the original 24p footage. DVFilm looked pretty damn good, but I could tell the difference, and still perfer the DVX footage. Could a regular Joe audience member tell? Maybe not, but there is resolution difference.

Now this test I did was with DVFilm, and not Film Effects (I dont use a Mac), so the above may not be applicable to graemes, his may look better.

P.S. MMM- I hate your avatar (sorry-had to say that: the idea of someone holding a gun to my pussy disturbs me)

4. Collapse Details
    I prefer what I'm doing with Film Effects / Standards Conversion to DV Film Maker, but then again, I would. That's one of the benefits of being a coder is that you can make the visual result suite your own personal preferences.

Graeme
    www.nattress.com - Film Effects and Standards Conversion for FCP
    www.red.com - RED - 4k Digital Cinema Camera

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Edweirdo
    P.S. MMM- I hate your avatar (sorry-had to say that: the idea of someone holding a gun to my pussy disturbs me)
    On the contrary, I love you avatar! I laughed out loud when I saw it.

Hijack over...

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Edweirdo

Dilema...do I change it....hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_E
    On the contrary, I love you avatar! I laughed out loud when I saw it.

7. Collapse Details
    What about loss of resolution when you put gamma etc in post. Isn`t it better to do all in camera?

8. Collapse Details
    If everything is done in camera, you can avoid a stage of re-compression back to DV before outputting to tape.

However, if you are outputting on DVD using FCP and Compressor, or any program that compresses straight from the original source footage; then it will make no difference if you have done the CC in camera or in post.

Obviously you have more control and possibility to change your mind in post, so I would do that personally.

9. Collapse Details
    Hi Graeme!
    I hav some footage on 50i ... used a HDR FX1 E

I want to convert the 50i footage to 30P in POST Production.. I have Nattress software but it only allows me to convert to 25P , thats the highest on Film Effects . I heard and read in a few threads that 30P wud be better, run more smoothly,,,, less stutter choppy and strobe

is there a way to do it ....or am I wrong and the 30p i heard so much about is just the american equivalent to the 25P in europe..
    Im editing on FCP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12