Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    As with a few members above I'v had no issues with FCP X and AVCHD but why 5DtoRGB I can understand using it for legacy versions of FCP when Quicktime had the occasional glitch but my understanding is that FCPX was built on something called AV foundation (I'm not an expert by the way if Ben is around he can clarify).

So what is AV foundation and what is its relationship to Quicktime ?
    Does AV foundation do a better job of transcoding AVCHD to Prores than Quicktime ?

I have just downloaded 5DtoRGB and i will play with it shortly comparing it to FCPX own transcoding.

EDIT after a bit of Googling... AV Foundation will eventually replace Quicktime but thats way off in the future, its a more efficient/better/clever way of handling video and the new Mac OS is built on it as id FCPX, but quicktime ain't going anywhere soon. Now back to the original question does AV Foundation do a better job of transcoding than 5DtoRGB ?
    Last edited by Vultch; 05-25-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: was Googling

2. Collapse Details
    In FCP X remember to open the footage as a camera archive (you'll need the files to be in the original card directory structure). It won't open the individual clips as files. This is mildly annoying, but copying the whole card file structure is good practice anyway and once you've remembered that it is "Open Camera Archive -> Open Archive" not File Import, it seems to work fine.

Cheers, Hywel

3. Collapse Details
    Cheers everyone, think I've got it now.
    AF100, GH2,
    Blackbird Steadicam
    Rode NTG-2 Boom kit
    Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95
    Olympus 12mm f2
    Lumix 14-42mm f3.5
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8.
    Nikon 85mm f/1.4.
    http://unsignedrus.com
    (London - Los Angeles - Honolulu)

4. Collapse Details
    I have no problem "importing from camera" when the CF card is inserted in the slot in my iMac.

I also have no problem editing and monitoring perfectly through my MX02 to SDI pro monitor with the latest Matrox drivers and 10.0.4, without transcoding or using proxy footage. It will stutter some if you start to edit before the files have finished copying to the RAID, but you can easily start to find the good shots and set up the favourites and keywords while the files are imported this is a huge time saving. I can also do this with my 2 year old MBP in the field. Although the playback on that does not work as well unless you use proxy or "better performance" settings.

I do have the 2GB graphics card and the 3.4MHz I7 with 16GB ram and a TB RAID.

This system runs circles around my 4 year old 8 core MacPro. And it makes FCPX a joy to work in. It is great to work with AF100 footage w/o having to transcode, it also handles XDcam footage natively once rewrapped, big space savings and no lowering of quality as everything is exported as ProRes or directly to whatever type of compressed file you like.

5. Collapse Details
    No problems here With FCPX and either AF 100 files or AVC Intra files. Insert card> FCPX window appears with clips added from card volume and I'm rolling. I'll admit I'm new to FCPX and really haven't edited much yet as I'm in the "getting to know you phase" but I have been playing with different panasonic flavored files and it really couldn't be easier.

I think a previous comment about whether the file structure of the copied card volume is correct might be applicable.

6. Collapse Details
    It's somewhat frustrating, after achieving a modicum of competence in FCP 6 to now have to flail in the wind for such moribund tasks as closing a project to work on another. Does anyone, praytell, know how to close a project and work on another? I'm editing two projects side by side in this marvelous new X, but I can't see how to close one project down so I can compile clips in another.

I put a rough timeline together in X lighting fast though, first nice thing I have to say about the program and the background rendering - very nice.

EDIT: Figured it out. Man, this program is so esoteric. They should have a comparison list, you know, a list or a T-chart of things that have changed, just to give us a running start.
    Last edited by dtzfilms; 05-27-2012 at 04:54 PM.
    AF100, GH2,
    Blackbird Steadicam
    Rode NTG-2 Boom kit
    Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95
    Olympus 12mm f2
    Lumix 14-42mm f3.5
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8.
    Nikon 85mm f/1.4.
    (London - Los Angeles - Honolulu)

7. Collapse Details
    I have no guidance about FCP X. I'm at the stage of roughing things out which is very fast I agree, but the fine details take a bit to work out. Still no problems with ingesting file based material except for he fact that the Help menu in terms of camera compatibility seems pretty outdated.

Case in point: I went through the compatibility menu to see if AVC I was compatible but got no result , yet AVC I plays fine in FCP X.

8. Collapse Details
    Think of FCPX as flying an airplane versus driving a car.

It is very different and gets there in a totally different way, but you get there way faster except if the weather is bad. You need a new computer and fast drives as well as lots of ram and a fast graphics card.

Actually the learning curve is not as severe as getting you private or instrument license. But the best thing is to get a course like Lynda or Larry's.

9. Collapse Details
    For the record (and because everyone seems to ignore it), FCPX comes with a rather decent manual. It's perhaps not as easy to digest as the training courses already linked, but it covers much of the same territory. You can access it from within the software, online, or download a PDF (very useful on an iPad alongside your edit system):

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4681?v...S&locale=en_US

10. Collapse Details
    Cheers, mate. Very useful indeed.
    AF100, GH2,
    Blackbird Steadicam
    Rode NTG-2 Boom kit
    Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95
    Olympus 12mm f2
    Lumix 14-42mm f3.5
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8.
    Nikon 85mm f/1.4.