Thread: EVF for the F3

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Hi Peter,

I have read that the EVF of Alphatron http://www.alphatron.tv/evf.html is very good. By far the best I ever used say Alister Chapman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zDwdUtfM_8

Happy shoot!

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by petermullett View Post
    thanks Fotojorno and J Cummings....First the Zugato set-up, is that with the Z Finder, I can't remember what the one I had briefly last Fall looked like?
    My problem with that set-up is that it looks like one has to un-lock / lock a couple of "joints" to make any adjustment. Maybe I'm wrong, but that would negate me using it if that's the case. I move my eye and head angle around too much and when filming with the Aatons I'm constantly adjusting the VF to a new position...easy to do with those finders.
    It's good to see that black camera tape still has work to do on digital rigs!
    J Cummings's set-up looks really interesting, in fact I did look briefly at the Pro-VFM at Abel's in NYC before leaving for France in February.....Liked what I saw, but didn't try it out. Did you already have a finder to go onto the Abel mounting rig or did you have to buy one? Which one is it, I can't make that out in the photo's?
    Powering options, to run that finder and the camera do you need to have the Anton Bauer pack?...My guess is yes.
    Thanks again for showing these two solutions to me, I really appreciate it......Now if only we could safely remove the useless rear eyepiece completely without major surgery on the F3!
    My F3 has had it's "tail" "docked" like Fotojorno's.

Peter
    Yes, it is the Zacuto EVF and the gaffe tap is to prevent from losing the eyepiece, a little bump and it unsnaps pretty easily. Removing and reinstalling the EVF is perfectly repeatable. Slide the EVF off the vertical rod and then unscrew the "erector set" off of the small silver female rod "Zud" thats attached to the Berkey. Or jusr slide the EVF off and leave the whole mount attached if you need to go on and off throughout the day.
    http://www.billthomasphoto.com/
    Sony F5 / F3/ EX-1 / Nikon D800 / BMPCC / Atomos Samurai / Zeiss & Nikon lenses

3. Collapse Details
    I bought the kinotehnik evf and so far I find its very good. has lots of nice features but for me its secure and is designed like a proper viewfinder. the price is what sold me on it. I wanted to use hdmi as a viewfinder is the only thing I want to connect hdmi. very clear screen which, while its not as clear as the retina display on the new alphatron by all reports, is more than enough for the job. focus is easy and it has assist etc. nice addition is the aa battery packs that can be inserted if the main dtap source is running low. I'm at a point where I'm tired paying 1000 plus for everything I want to add to my camera so at 750 euro its great value

4. Collapse Details
    I knew the Kinotehnik was a promising EVF but after looking at the video shown below I am pretty sold on it except for the HDMI connectivity which is a dealerbreaker in my books. The whole six minutes is worth taking in but at 4:20 is where they start talking about the friction plate style mounting/swivel system which is what we all want.

I must say I am quite enamoured with John Cummings' EVF setup which is from what I have seen to date the best setup (around 5 grand). The second best solution assuming the mounting system works out is the soon to be realeased Alphatron/TVLogic EVF (about 2 grand with Letus Mount listed below):

http://blog.abelcine.com/2012/04/16/...alphatron-evf/

paired up with untested the Letus EVF Knuckle:

http://www.letusdirect.com/cart/mcs-...k-release.html

5. Collapse Details
    Baltimore USA & Villefranche de Rouergue, France
    Hello litpixel, very interested in your post. The Kinotehnik seems to come the closest in terms of what I would like to have in an EVF. The mounting options though are a little vague on their website so I am still trying to figure out how i'd mount the thing if I buy one. I have a Berkey top plate plus the front extension on my F3, do you know how I'd be able to mount the EVF on such a rig? How do you mount yours?
    I'm with you as far as just using the HDMI, I use the SDI outs for the PIX 240 anyway and I really like being able to use rechargeable AA batteries on this EVF.
    Pricing is also an issue too, again I'm with you on the 1K price tag that seems to be the norm' for anything added to our gear. In fact even when I was still buying accessories for my Aaton kits I referred to pricing out anything in CPU's, ( Camera Purchase Units, at $1000 per unit ). That doesn't seem to have changed too much.
    Thanks for any additional information you can provide.
    Peter

6. Collapse Details
    I will be holding out for the TVLogic and the Letus mount. I have the Cineroid SDI now and a Noga arm. Kinda still dig the Noga arm, its nice to be able to extend it as much as a VF extension. (But ya it gets loose..)
    The extra bit of resolution, is whats going to make the difference and the ability to close off the diopter from the sun is HUGE. With the F-3 and the Clients, that still want to feak'in run and gun with it.... Having that better resolution is what i'm looking for. The red peaking helps but, still need just a bit more, to be comfortable and fast.

For me, its just why have 480 when you can have 640 and both HDMI and SDI.
    Jason P Davenport
    Director of Photography

www.jasondavenportdp.com

7. Collapse Details
    I mentioned on the "other" board, but I had the letus mount, and it really doesn't work perfect. Viewfinder sits too far back, even with all the adjustments, so I just made my own custom mount, and its working out pretty good so far.

8. Collapse Details
    Ah, Thx man. That's a bummer, thought the letus looked like it would work. Good to know.
    Last edited by Jason Davenport; 05-23-2012 at 11:07 PM.
    Jason P Davenport
    Director of Photography

www.jasondavenportdp.com

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by petermullett View Post
    Hello litpixel, very interested in your post. The Kinotehnik seems to come the closest in terms of what I would like to have in an EVF. The mounting options though are a little vague on their website so I am still trying to figure out how i'd mount the thing if I buy one. I have a Berkey top plate plus the front extension on my F3, do you know how I'd be able to mount the EVF on such a rig? How do you mount yours?
    I'm with you as far as just using the HDMI, I use the SDI outs for the PIX 240 anyway and I really like being able to use rechargeable AA batteries on this EVF.
    Pricing is also an issue too, again I'm with you on the 1K price tag that seems to be the norm' for anything added to our gear. In fact even when I was still buying accessories for my Aaton kits I referred to pricing out anything in CPU's, ( Camera Purchase Units, at $1000 per unit ). That doesn't seem to have changed too much.
    Thanks for any additional information you can provide.
    Peter

Hey Peter

It comes with a sort of right angled system that sits into the front accessory shoe of the F3. Its surprisingly solid and allows for movement in all directions. Basically its quite a simple system that sits the viewfinder a range of different heights and distances from your eye. so it has full adjustment in terms of placement and locks off. so to me it functions like a regular viewfinder. I suppose there is the danger I might break off the hotshoe but I cant see that happening. I was goin to hold out for alphatron etc but all I need is a clear viewfinder to shoot with. that functions like a vewfinder I am used to and gives that 3rd point of contact I need for handheld. this does all that with a quality display and a host of useful functions. at the price I think its smashing value. and it works a treat

ps I am sure as it has a front shoe plate adapter to secure it, it could also come with the a screw on the end to screw into your berkey. probably best email Tarmo or Tonis for more details on that

actually heres a demo vid of it on an F3 http://vimeo.com/40759910
    Last edited by litpixel; 05-24-2012 at 08:17 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JDDalllas View Post
    Ah, Thx man. That's a bummer, thought the letus looked like it would work. Good to know.
    Yeah I know what you mean, I thought it would be the end all..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast