Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Forget the LED light and kit lens. Buy a real light and real lens Also, I don't see many reasons to buy a 60D for video today.

Where's your tripod?

2. Collapse Details
    If you're in Oz, check out a place called Dragon Image. We purchased a set of soft box lights for about 300 from there - insane pieces of equipment. We have an ACS award winner here and those are his main interior lights. Amazing lights, awesome price. Bulbs are around 85 bucks each and you get 3 for the 3 lights (inc stands) in te box...and we didn't have to change a bulb for...18 months...

3. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unadog View Post
    There should be a newer Canon 4Ti announced in June. Looks like not a lot in the way of a new sensor - 18MP - but some video upgrades. The biggest looks to be full time auto focus during video record.

The nice thing about that camera is that it is likely to save you a bit over the 60D, which is rather dated by now. I don't usually like to buy so late in a product lifecycle.

In fact, I recently needed a body and bought a Canon 3Ti with the 18-55 kit lens as a refurb from Canon Direct for $567 shipped. That might be a way to go if you need a camera soon. I figured the depreciation wouldfn't be much more than $100, maybe $150 max, if I needed to sell (the only reason I got the kit lens was for resale - though my wife likes it.)

Watch for special sale coupons for the Canon Direct site (Techbargains had some posted a couple of weeks back - 20% off.)

I hope rumors are OK here? You can check the canonrumors site, they have been talking about this for a while. He has it as a 2.5 certainty.

As far as the kit: The variable aperature lenses can be very frustrating when you need to shoot wide open, then need to zoom. I prefer an f/2.8 lens constant zoom whenever possible - but those are more expensive of course. My main lens is the 28-70 2.8 L. Around $1,000 or less used. I use it 85% of the time. Or the 24-105 4.0 L at $800 new (out of a Canon 5D3 kit - lot of people buying teh kit to get teh body and selling teh lens.) I have never tried it, but a lot of people seem to like it.

Good luck!

Best,
    Michael

If the Canon 60d is an outdated camera than what do you say about the 7d?... SMH
    Also unlike the Canon t2i series, the 60d, 7d etc hold their value in the market.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by vision_filmz View Post
    If the Canon 60d is an outdated camera than what do you say about the 7d?... SMH
    Also unlike the Canon t2i series, the 60d, 7d etc hold their value in the market.
    I wouldnt say it's outdated, unless your thinking ahead to 4K in which case all our DSLRS are soon to be "outdated" lol

60D is a great camera, although people are right the kit lens is slow

5. Collapse Details
    I would consider it outdated as soon as there's a similar option without aliasing/moire for a similar price (canonrumors says that's june-july, but they also said it was going to be last february...) - regarding the kit lens, I have the 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, and it's great... for the price (awful construction, extremely slow in the long end, but optics are surprisingly decent; I use it as a very nice 18mm f/3.5 prime with IS, it's my go-to lens on the flycam)

6. Collapse Details
    The kit lens is slow, and I've never really liked it much, but it is the cheapest wide and it is useful if you have enough light.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by vision_filmz View Post
    The 7D's been outdated for over a year

8. Collapse Details
    it doesn't matter if it's out dated. If it's got a decent sensor and it shoots 1080p in 24fps, who cares? It's a pretty good damn camera. I use a 5dmk2...it's out dated too...but we love it, produces good images and footage and does what we need it to do. Only a fool would purchase a new camera due to the old one being "out dated" if it's going to have no impact on their work as a whole. A good creative will make a masterpiece out of whatever they have to work with...

9. Collapse Details
    I'd think about an AF100.
    im not so sure i agree with that. i find the af100 a uncomfortable hybrid of a DSLR and video camera without the primary advantages of either...

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven8 Media View Post
    it doesn't matter if it's out dated. If it's got a decent sensor and it shoots 1080p in 24fps, who cares? It's a pretty good damn camera. I use a 5dmk2...it's out dated too...but we love it, produces good images and footage and does what we need it to do. Only a fool would purchase a new camera due to the old one being "out dated" if it's going to have no impact on their work as a whole. A good creative will make a masterpiece out of whatever they have to work with...
    Well, there is SOMETHING to be said for getting better jobs with better technology. I agree with you, mostly, but there's plenty of jobs out there that will hire a DP just because he has a RED ONE, regardless of skill. Will it be a good job? Is it a sustainable business model? Of course not. But it's a consideration.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast