Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Thoughts on this Canon package
    Hey team, I'm putting a DSLR package together. Total budget is roughly $3400 or less. What do you think?

Goal is good picture + sound for a single shooter. Mostly simple corporate vids (training, etc). Any recommendations for the LED light ($200 range), alternate lavs to the Sony, etc? Weigh in, pros! Thanks.

Canon 60D camera w/kit lens (18-135mm)
    50mm lens
    Juicedlink DT414 preamp
    Rode NTG-2 mic
    Windtech CM-21 mic mount
    Sony UWP-V1 lav kit
    Pearstone lav cable
    LED light with stand
    Sandbag
    Rycote short XLR cable
    extra camera battery
    Sandisk 8GB SD cards (x3)
    SD card reader

2. Collapse Details
    For the super low budget kind of stuff, I'd skip the LED and get a lowel light, the V-light or tota should do you just fine, about the same price range. I can't imagine a $200 LED being very good as a primary light source.

3. Collapse Details
    You might want a wider prime lens, that stock lens (although it can go quite wide) is very slow.

4. Collapse Details
    I'd think about an AF100.

5. Collapse Details
    .. or an FS100

BTW you are missing ND filtration

S

6. Collapse Details
    There should be a newer Canon 4Ti announced in June. Looks like not a lot in the way of a new sensor - 18MP - but some video upgrades. The biggest looks to be full time auto focus during video record.

The nice thing about that camera is that it is likely to save you a bit over the 60D, which is rather dated by now. I don't usually like to buy so late in a product lifecycle.

In fact, I recently needed a body and bought a Canon 3Ti with the 18-55 kit lens as a refurb from Canon Direct for $567 shipped. That might be a way to go if you need a camera soon. I figured the depreciation wouldfn't be much more than $100, maybe $150 max, if I needed to sell (the only reason I got the kit lens was for resale - though my wife likes it.)

Watch for special sale coupons for the Canon Direct site (Techbargains had some posted a couple of weeks back - 20% off.)

I hope rumors are OK here? You can check the canonrumors site, they have been talking about this for a while. He has it as a 2.5 certainty.

As far as the kit: The variable aperature lenses can be very frustrating when you need to shoot wide open, then need to zoom. I prefer an f/2.8 lens constant zoom whenever possible - but those are more expensive of course. My main lens is the 28-70 2.8 L. Around $1,000 or less used. I use it 85% of the time. Or the 24-105 4.0 L at $800 new (out of a Canon 5D3 kit - lot of people buying teh kit to get teh body and selling teh lens.) I have never tried it, but a lot of people seem to like it.

Good luck!

Best,
    Michael
    Last edited by unadog; 05-18-2012 at 09:18 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by unadog View Post
    There should be a newer Canon 4Ti announced in June. Looks like not a lot in teh way of new sensor - 18MP - but some video upgrades. The biggest looks to be full time auto focus during video record.

I hope rumors are OK here? You can check the canonrumors site, they have been talking about this for a while. He has it as a 2.5 certainty.

Best,
    Michael
    Good point. And looking at the 5dMKIII and it's features, you may want to hold on a bit. Some nice feature may trickle down.

8. Collapse Details
    I'd wait for the T5i the 5dMkIIII or the 7dMkIII. By the way I have the sony uwp v1 and you won't be disapointed, see if you can find them on Sonys clearance site. I'd also get a zoom lens with a constant aperature over the 50mm, the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 is really nice.

9. Collapse Details
    I'd definitely go for a constant aperture zoom lens. Your shots will flicker when you zoom in or out with a variable. Tamron 17-50 non vc is a sharp, dependable zoom. Then you might think of a Canon 85 1.8 as a second lens.
    Michael Rockmore

10. Collapse Details
    If you're going for the package today, it looks good. I don't see anything wrong with it except the zoom lens. If you're shooting promo/training vids, you probably won't need a zoom...unless you're shooting Days of Our Lives or some 80's TV series. Although, Magnum PI was freakin' AWESOME!

The 50mm is a damn good lens. If it's either the 1.4 or the 1.8, it's fantastic. Have a look for a wider lens as well with a good speed. I was having a look at the 28mm 1.8 the other day. The only reason for this is that the 50mm with the crop ratio makes the lens around an 85mm lens, and can get a bit shaky if you're going to use handheld a bit. Having a wider lens will allow for a less magnified movement.

Hope this helps

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast