1. Collapse Details
    The Run Down on MXF files
    I'm used to using a DVX100B. I'm now using a HVX200a and some things, no matter how much time I research, I can't find the straight answers to.

MXF Files are one of them.

I'm a PC User. I use Vegas Pro. And I tend to speak in non technical terminology.

So here it goes:

With the DVX Camera, you shoot on Tape. You capture the tape. Once captured, the files show up as thumbnail images. If you just want to view them without using an editing system, it's simple. You double click the thumbnail image file and When you double click the thumbnail images, Windows Media Player opens up and you can watch it. Very, very simple.

With the HVX, here's where I'm at so far:
    I capture (offload) the data off of the p2 card.
    Images do not appear like they do with the DVX captured footage. Instead what happens is, there a CONTENTS file. Inside the file are 6 more files. One being a VIDEO file and one being an AUDIO file.

If I go into the VIDEO file and click one of the MXF files, the VLC player opens up and it plays the video. NO AUDIO.
    If I go into the AUDIO file and click on of the MXF files, the VLC player opens up and it plays the audio. NO VIDEO

QUESTIONS:

1. Is there an equivalent simple way to view the MXF files from the HVX without using an editing system, like with the DVX and I'm just missing something, or is this just the way it is? Meaning, you can play video or audio separately, but you can't view them together and that's it?

2. The MXF files in the folders just show up as white. With the DVX files there were video images, so I actually could tell visually what scenes I was pulling up to play. With the HVX files, they're white. No images, So i'm having to guess. Is there a way, to see these files like with the DVX or is just kind of the way it is with the HVX files?

Again, I would imagine these are basic questions, but after spending 2 hours searching for answers, I can't find much, so I'm giving up and asking the experts.

Thanks in advance.

2. Collapse Details
    When you import media, Vegas will bring everything associated with the contents over. Many use the DVFilm Raylight plug-in, which gives you native MXF editing. It will also convert into AVI files if you need to work across into non-Vegas platforms. Primer.
    Erik Olson

3. Collapse Details
    To view the files, download and install the P2 Viewer application.

To work with them in Vegas, you have to do as Erik said, and use the Raylight plug-in. There is no other way.

4. Collapse Details
    Is there a way to change file names in p2 viewer? I haven't been able to find it.

Again, with DVX you capture the video, and the file is right there. You can see the image of the clip and can change the file names right there. It's about as simple as it gets. Is there an equivalent to doing that with the HVX files? I can see the files in p2 viewer, but can't rename them. And I can't rename them in the initial file folder because I can't see the thumbnails. So I'm kind of trapped. Is there a convenient way to see the thumbnail of the file and change the name at the same time in p2 viewer?

5. Collapse Details
    No. But you can name them in the camera with metadata, which Raylight can read and display within Vegas.
    LEARN FILMMAKING -- DIGITAL DOWNLOADS of great training programs!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE

6. Collapse Details
    I'm still trying to find the best way to manage and organize my files. The fact that I can't rename the MXF files is making things difficult.

I'm working with hundreds of files and need to be able to change the names of the clips conveniently. Can I convert MXF files to AVI files without losing any quality? I believe once they are AVI files, I can rename files and work with them easier.

7. Collapse Details
    Name a folder on your comp. Off load the P2 Card media into that folder - name it as u wish.
    Import P2 files into your editor, rename the clips there.
    Chris Tompkins

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bigox View Post
    I'm still trying to find the best way to manage and organize my files. The fact that I can't rename the MXF files is making things difficult.

I'm working with hundreds of files and need to be able to change the names of the clips conveniently. Can I convert MXF files to AVI files without losing any quality? I believe once they are AVI files, I can rename files and work with them easier.
    You should always use P2 Viewer to transfer your cards from the camera to your computer.

In P2 Viewer, you can change the User Clip Name of any clip.

In Vegas, Raylight will display the User Clip Name under the Title column in Detail view. You can move the Title column to be the first one.

This will not change the actual file name, but you will be able to sort on it, etc.

9. Collapse Details
    is there any advantage to keeping the files in mxf format as opposed to converting them to avi in Raylight?

10. Collapse Details
    You keep the metadata. And you won't be able to use/play the Raylight AVIs on anything which doesn't have Raylight installed.