Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Blog: Why I Bought a C300 PL Camera
    Canon C300 PL camera? What was I thinking?

http://ssvhd.blogspot.com/2012/05/ca...hat-was-i.html

Jeff Regan
    SHOOTING STAR VIDEO

www.ssv.com

New: Canon C300 PL, Panasonic HPX255 cameras, Canon CN-E 30-105mm, RED 17-50mm, AllStar 80-200mm, GL 11-16mm, 18-35 Cine zooms, AllStar 50mm, RED 85mm primes.

Panasonic HPX2700 P2 Varicam,
    Sony EX1, HXC-100K cameras, Arri, Chrosziel, Elements, Sachtler, Zacuto support, FSI, Leader, Panasonic, TV Logic HD LCD monitors, MYT Works 4' slider, Arri, LTM Pepper, Chimera, Kino Flo, F&V lighting. HD Fly Pack with Panasonic HS410 switcher.

2. Collapse Details
    Your blog article finished before I was rewarded with any real usable information. I was waiting for a deep discussion/suggestion why one would go for PL mount (like it is some type of avant garde decision). please elaborate more on this article. an EF mount provides electronic control of affordable ef lenses. and will accept a ef-pl adaptor costing less that 250gbp of you really want pl mount. this blog post seems like a pointless marketing exercise

3. Collapse Details
    Then you weren't reading the same article I did.

The OP clearly states:

"So the C300 makes sense, especially for rental, because it costs more to buy than a DSLR. The final question was, which lens mount? The C300 makes you commit to either a Canon EF mount body or motion picture standard PL-mount body. A bit of a conundrum. Clearly, if you are buying a C300 and own a bunch of modern Canon EF lenses, the choice is fairly simple--go for the EF mount.

However, if renting a C300, why not choose lenses that are made for motion pictures vs. still photography as long as there are affordable options? The PL-mount is more rigid than the Canon EF mount. A Cine zoom allows you to change focal length without having to refocus(many 35mm DSLR lenses are not parfocal, so require refocusing when changing focal length), has very precise control of iris and focus vs. no manual iris ring and auto focus optimized still lenses. Cine zooms and primes don't breathe when focusing, most don't ramp down when zoomed in, have precise lens markings for distance, gears for motors and follow focus, are very rugged and reliable and, of course look fantastic.

Sure, some Cine glass is VERY expensive to buy and even rent, but there are affordable solutions, like our RED 17-50mm T2.9 compact Cine zoom at under 4lbs. and $100 with rental of our C300 PL, or our amazing Arri Alura 18-80mm T2.6 Cine zoom, which offers a very flexible focal length range, negating the need to change lenses all day long. We'll soon be adding affordable Cine primes as well.

So, for under $475 per day, the Canon C300 PL with compact RED Cine zoom, offers a beautiful, convenient, flexible, reliable, post friendly, true video camera with Cinematic aesthetic not previously possible."

What is unclear?
    Matt Gottshalk - Dp/Editor
    McGee Digital Media

EPIC-X #00740 "Decker"
    Duclos 11-16mm
    RPZ 17-50mm
    Red 50-150mm
    Panasonic HPX-250
    Canon C100 and Ninja 2 recorder
    Nikon D800

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by richg101 View Post
    Your blog article finished before I was rewarded with any real usable information. I was waiting for a deep discussion/suggestion why one would go for PL mount (like it is some type of avant garde decision). please elaborate more on this article. an EF mount provides electronic control of affordable ef lenses. and will accept a ef-pl adaptor costing less that 250gbp of you really want pl mount. this blog post seems like a pointless marketing exercise
    Thanks for the feedback. EF mount is the obvious choice for those that are migrating from DSLR's, and own lots of those lenses, no question. EF offers a wide range of DSLR lenses, Zeiss CP.2 lenses, and the new Canon Cine zooms and primes, plus they have electronic control, as you stated, and also image stabilization. With a Canon L series lens and the C300, you have iris increments of 1/3 stop, not bad.

However, IMO, nothing is better than a de-clicked manual iris. Zooming on a modern DSLR lens, just doesn't cut it, not in the same league as parfocal Cine zooms. Focus, well, this one should be obvious to anyone who has shot with or AC'd a modern DSLR auto-focus stills lens vs. a Cine lens. NO COMPARISON.
    The Cine lens has so much more rotation, is incredibly precise, doesn't breathe, has detailed distance markings on both sides of the lens. It's about repeatability and reliability and precision--things just not possible with auto-focus stills lenses. They're designed for.....stills. If I'm shooting a narrative, there's no contest.

The EF mount is just not rigid enough. Even smaller prime lenses should be supported when using the EF mount. PL-mount is much more rigid, very important when exerting the torque of a follow focus.

Most stills lenses don't have as many iris blades as something like a Zeiss Compact Prime(yes, some Cine lenses only have 7 iris blades), aren't matched within a set, aren't as rugged, aren't the same size/weight, don't have the same outer diameter as a Cine prime set. Stills lenses often aren't parfocal, they ramp the light level downward when zoomed in.

It really boils down to one thing, in the end: stills lenses are for stills, Cine lenses are for motion pictures. There are exceptions to the rule and great things can be accomplished with the former and some examples of the latter aren't stellar.

For me, it's simple, once you've shot with Cine lenses, it's hard to go back to stills lenses. I do like older Nikon AIS manual primes, however, but they often have image shift when using a follow focus, plus clicked iris rings, focus breathing, focus the wrong direction and aren't as sharp as modern lenses, includig Nikon EF and Canon L series.

Final point I was trying to make was, if renting, why not rent the best? Motion picture lenses are acknowledged to be just that in most circles. The difference in day rate can be minimal or much higher. YMMV.

Jeff Regan
    SHOOTING STAR VIDEO

www.ssv.com

New: Canon C300 PL, Panasonic HPX255 cameras, Canon CN-E 30-105mm, RED 17-50mm, AllStar 80-200mm, GL 11-16mm, 18-35 Cine zooms, AllStar 50mm, RED 85mm primes.

Sony EX1, HXC-100K cameras, Arri, Chrosziel, Elements, Sachtler, Zacuto support, FSI, Leader, Panasonic, TV Logic HD LCD monitors, MYT Works 4' slider, Arri, LTM Pepper, Chimera, Kino Flo, F&V lighting. HD Fly Pack with Panasonic HS410 switcher.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    With a Canon L series lens and the C300, you have iris increments of 1/3 stop, not bad.
    Just a small correction: with Canon EF lenses, you can actually use 1/8 stop increment adjustments via the "fine" iris control setting. Still not as smooth as a stepless aperture, of course, but it does allow for very precise exposure control.
    Cinematographer | Director | Producer

Twitter: @BrianCWeed

6. Collapse Details
    Scorcese said at the c300 launch "they've made the camera's smaller, now if only they could make the lenses smaller"
    re: PL
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

7. Collapse Details
    There is no doubt PL is the better mount if you want the best image/focus.
    If I were in a neighborhood of a PL-rental-house I would have considered it despite my EF collection.

But for my work (sports, docs, and some commercials) the lighter, stabilized EF lenses are sufficient.

@richg101: I donīt think there is a PL-EF mount that really works with all PL lenses

8. Collapse Details
    I think Jeff explains it just fine.
    If we were interested in the C300 it would be PL mount as well.

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the correction Brian, forgot about fine control wheel on aperture, plus focus works for EF lenses using the WiFi dongle to a computer, right?

There are some small PL's, Zeiss CP.2's aren't that big and weight around 2lbs, RED RPZ 17-50mm compact Cine zoom(in picture) weighs under 4lbs, Duclos modified Tokina 11-16mm is small, Angenieux 14-45mm Rouge is small(and very expensive), Zeiss Super Speeds are quite small.

I think the key is in what type of projects are being shot. For narrative, PL lenses are very useful. Pretty much anytime there's an AC.

C300_RED.JPG

Jeff Regan
    SHOOTING STAR VIDEO

www.ssv.com

10. Collapse Details
    Jeff, you mentioned rigidity of the EF mount. I read a comment on Laforet's blog about EF lenses flexing when pulling focus. Have you encountered that at all?

Cooke Panchros are another relatively compact set of PL lenses. They weigh in between around 3.5 and 4.5 lbs / 1.5 to 2 kg. They're not cheap compared to DSLR glass (around Ģ25K / $40K for a set of six), nor are they that fast, but Scorcese used them on Hugo, so the quality's there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast