Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Af100 still worth investing in?
    Do you guys think the AF100 is still worth investing in as another camera, or is the current crop of DSLR's taking the cake?

2. Collapse Details
    As a hobbyist, stick to the DSLR. If you care about not having to lug around a bunch of accessories, and to having moire issues the Af100 is a great buy. I have a GH2, D800E, Af100, and Scarlet and my Af100 still makes me money.

3. Collapse Details
    I'm not fond of DSLRs for shooting motion pictures. I have a GH2 and I wouldn't consider shooting work with it in place of the AF100. The control and tools you have with the AF100 make it hands down better and since I can control so much with the image, particularly detail, without the rolling shutter and artifacts make it much better. The better I get the better it looks and you can't beat the price. Really I think the AF100 is hugely underrated.
    Last edited by hscully; 05-15-2012 at 04:53 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    I'm not shooting for hobby at all. I have a GH2, AF100. I am very happy with the AF100 and the ease of use. I like the quality of the image from the AF and the GH2, but I'm curious if I should purchase a camera from a newer crop to stay on the curve instead of purchasing another AF100. The D800 has me very interested as full frame would be nice for wider shots. I'm still not sure if I wouldn't like the aesthetics of full frame as well. Never used one and it kind of intrigues me.

5. Collapse Details
    I think the AF100 is a standout buy. It's far and away the lowest-cost, most-featured digital cine camcorder.

6. Collapse Details
    If the AF100 will get your work done better than other options, and/or get you more jobs simply because it can deliver something you can't already provide, then it's a good purchase. It's currently the same price as the 5D3 and D800, and far more well-equipped for video, so it's (arguably) the best deal out there if you don't already have something of the large-chip variety.

If you're considering purchasing one because producers may be specifically asking for it, I haven't noticed that they are. P2 cameras, EX cameras, and 5D's seem to be what DC-metro producers are specifically requesting, when they specifically request (except when they're requesting RED Epics for no compensation on Craigslist, but that's another matter). Not sure about New England.

7. Collapse Details
    I think it depends on how happy you are with the wide lenses you have for m4/3. Hey, it could be fun but I'm not really interested in full frame myself right now. I admit I was in a commercial shot on 5D and it looked pretty good when they were done with it but I will never forget the the griping sound guy! Plural Eyes anyone?

8. Collapse Details
    If you're considering the D800 for only video, I'd say get the rumored D600. I use the Gh2 for stealth mode especially because it has an electronic viewfinder built in. This is harder to do with the D800 as you have to rely on the LCD or external EVF which doesn't feel very stealthy.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by swanny View Post
    Do you guys think the AF100 is still worth investing in as another camera, or is the current crop of DSLR's taking the cake?
    I'd wait for the BMC to see how that turns out.
    On The Mark Media
    http://otm-rentals.com
    "Bokeh Schmokeh ... look at the girl!"

10. Collapse Details
    Yes the AF100 is still worth investing in. The camera still looks great, plenty of lens options and an overall decent value.
    I've had mine since it came out and has been in use since. I believe a purchase now will see a rather quick return.
    I thought my Scarlet would retire this camcorder, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    Btw, purchased the 35-100 Olympus F2, I highly recommend this lens. That and a wide angle you should be covered for under $8-9K w/accessories.
    James Bridges
    www.typeamedia.com
    HDX900,RED Scarlet #651 Canon mount
    AF100,Canon 7D and too many accessories!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast