Thread: Anamorphic 7D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Almost all of the cheap methods of going anamorphic are going to be very problematic. But if you go legit with a lomo, or an Isco you can get great results. Unfortunately the iscorama lenses are way overpriced, and you can get a good deal on a Lomo but more often than not you will have to put several hundred bucks of servicing into what you bought.

But you can get good results even with a 16x9 sensor. I ended up blowing up the footage I shot for this short, and it came out pretty ok.

"That's what happened to this friend of mine. So he had a lobotomy. Now he's well again."
    http://www.robmneilson.com

2. Collapse Details
    Do note that if you're going to lomo method on a 7D you will only be able to mount the roundfronts. If you want the cheaper squarefronts you will need to go mirrorless.
    "That's what happened to this friend of mine. So he had a lobotomy. Now he's well again."

3. Collapse Details
    Does anyone know if I will lose stops on my 7D with one of these anamorphic lenses on it?

4. Collapse Details
    any glass will lose light. most projector anamorphics will be less than one stop (many as little as 1/4, a few as much as 2), integrated anamorphic/taking lens solutions such as lomo will have f-stop/t-stop as marked. Cinemorph lists as 2 stops.

5. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Jordan Scott Price's Avatar
    I am selling the Panasonic 1.33x Anamorphic Adapter over in the Marketplace. Unique anamorphic look when mounted onto any SLR lens.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...orphic-Adapter

6. Collapse Details
    Before I got my legit lomos I had an anamorphic front from a squarefront, and adapter that via step rings to a Helios 85mm. I could barely detect a loss of light with that setup.

7. Collapse Details
    ^ from my research the majority of anamorphic glass is in the range of around 1/4 stop of light loss (although a few like Hilux are 1 1/4 or higher). I've got three and I can't detect any light loss by eye with any of them. I assume it's so low because it's trapping twice the light the light of a regular lens, but that is a total guess - it could conversely simply be because it's not spherical.

Jealous of the lomos. I've got a 1.7x off a 16mm slide projector, a variable prism panatar (which I think has alignment issues) and a huge cinema projector lens. I could've bought a bargain Sankor or Kowa for little more than I spent (with shipping) but I've learnt a lot from having the three types to compare and now I know where to put my money if I buy another. Only the small 16mm slide projector lens is of a practical size. A bit soft in its close range but I suspect a diopter might sharpen it up - if I can ever find one that is. Just got beaten in auction for the only +0.5 I've seen on ebay (dammit, only by $10 too)!

8. Collapse Details
    What size thread diopter do you need? I have one laying around somewhere that I bought for when I was pairing up anamorphic lenses...I might not be able to find it in all my clutter of crap, or if it will even fit your 16mm projector lens but I know I have one!

Found it, Hoya 49mm +4 diopter! Want it? Super tiny thread, was meant for my Helios 55mm lens.
    Last edited by robmneilson; 05-16-2012 at 02:08 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Born Son View Post
    A bit soft in its close range but I suspect a diopter might sharpen it up - if I can ever find one that is. Just got beaten in auction for the only +0.5 I've seen on ebay (dammit, only by $10 too)!
    I have several +0.5 diopters in 72mm thread size. Even some super rare, larger ones for the Iscorama 54, Hypergonar etc.
    These are all great quality optics for your lenses, not junk. I use them anytime on my Iscorama.
    If you want to buy one just send me a pm.
    The +4 diopter would only be good for macro work. The most useful diopter power for anamorhics are the +0.5 and +1 (getting two +0.5 is probably the best solution).

10. Collapse Details
    I think he just put a mask on in the post, like a black bar on top and bottom.

Talking about aspect ratio, this video is also shot by a DSLR. https://vimeo.com/32627818

Does anyone know how to export it to this kind of aspect ration?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast