Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Collapse Details
    How important is reference audio?
    #1
    Default
    Running a cable to camera isn't always easy, and I don't have a wireless hop!

    I'd love to hear some post insight on the importance of a reference track.


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,901
    Default
    and how important is dead-on sync to you (or more importantly, to the clients or audience who are expecting you to deliver professional quality work?) No one said the job was easy but you have to be willing to do whatever it takes to deliver state-of-the-art performance.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Section Moderator Alex H.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    6,908
    Default
    But with a proper slate, it isn't a huge deal... and as long as there's a mic on the camera, you have at least a very rudimentary reference track.
    Formerly known as C2V
    ------------------------------------------------
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #4
    Senior Member gonzo_entertainment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    1,445
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex H. View Post
    But with a proper slate, it isn't a huge deal... and as long as there's a mic on the camera, you have at least a very rudimentary reference track.
    Exactly. We just use the built in camera mic. It doesn't have to sound good, it just helps to have it there.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #5
    Senior Member unclebob6958's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Greenwich, CT
    Posts
    625
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex H. View Post
    But with a proper slate, it isn't a huge deal...
    They've been doing it that way with film for over 80 years - and still do it that way. Sometimes it's amazing how lazy and spoiled we have become with all of the work-saving technology available to us.

    My wife is a graphic artist and can remember when you literally had to cut with a razor blade and paste with adhesive. As a photographer she also developed her own B&W film. I remember when the studio where I recorded went from eight to 16 tracks.
    Filmmaking is the art of being invisible; if anyone notices your work you haven't done your job right.

    Peace,

    Bob
    alcoveaudio.com


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #6
    Senior Member gonzo_entertainment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    1,445
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by unclebob6958 View Post
    They've been doing it that way with film for over 80 years - and still do it that way. Sometimes it's amazing how lazy and spoiled we have become with all of the work-saving technology available to us.

    My wife is a graphic artist and can remember when you literally had to cut with a razor blade and paste with adhesive. As a photographer she also developed her own B&W film. I remember when the studio where I recorded went from eight to 16 tracks.

    We still don't use any of that plural eyes, duals eyes, etc... stuff. Having the reference audio waveform there just shaves that syncing to the slate down from 30 seconds to 20 seconds because you can get it close by just eyeballing the wave forms.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #7
    Sound Ninja Noiz2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Detroit & SF
    Posts
    4,832
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex H. View Post
    But with a proper slate, it isn't a huge deal... and as long as there's a mic on the camera, you have at least a very rudimentary reference track.
    So to be specific the the question it is useful to important to have some reference track married to the video. A slate will get you sync at the head and your drift should not be significant if your takes are in the less than ten min. range.

    The reference track is important when you have problems and are trying to sync with a bad slate or after you have made some cuts and sync has slipped because of some silly user error. It's a really nice safety net but it is not necessary IF you have followed a strict old school slating and documenting workflow.
    Cheers
    SK


    Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise
    Bugín out of Babylon



    ďIt ainít ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, itís the things that people know that ainít soĒ

    Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #8
    Senior Member AtticusLake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Poole, UK
    Posts
    438
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Noiz2 View Post
    A slate will get you sync at the head and your drift should not be significant if your takes are in the less than ten min. range.
    If you're worried about drift, just capture a tail slate -- easy enough if you're already doing the head slate.



    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #9
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by AtticusLake View Post
    If you're worried about drift, just capture a tail slate -- easy enough if you're already doing the head slate.
    Tail slates are often far from easy - itchy trigger fingers always hit the switch too soon. I've missed hundreds of tail slates in my career.


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #10
    Sound Ninja Noiz2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Detroit & SF
    Posts
    4,832
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by nothing View Post
    Tail slates are often far from easy - itchy trigger fingers always hit the switch too soon. I've missed hundreds of tail slates in my career.
    And it doesn't fix the sync just lets you know you are off. With some math you can get in the ballpark of the shrink/stretch you need on the take BUT that is only if the drift is constant.

    My vote, you still want a reference if at all possible.
    Cheers
    SK


    Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise
    Bugín out of Babylon



    ďIt ainít ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, itís the things that people know that ainít soĒ

    Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio


    Reply With Quote
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •