Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by richg101 View Post
    a 24mm f1.8 will give you wide and fast. you cant get that with the gh2 due to the 2x crop.
    the slr magic 12mm 1.6 covers that nicely

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gundar View Post
    In response to RichG's " the people with the money want to see pro gear. not prosumer gear"

That is certainly not the case. Clients looking to have video shot for them, generally don't know about equipment or they would direct what products were used and how the video was shot...

Secondly, once you pretty your gh2 up with a cage, rails, H4n, Rode Shotgun Mic, matte box, an LCD screen, and all the other spiffs, you can't see the name of any camera that is on there.

Any camera that shoots great quality is a great camera. Period.

Stay within your budget while providing the client and yourself with quality video and equipment.
    I'm not trying to play devils advocate here. but with 4k budget, a zoom h4n etc frankenstein rig, all rickety and with those god awful blue handles everywhere, a flappy cheap matte box, etc you'll stand out like a sore thumb at weddings. where the videographer has to be out of the way (like you are not there). We are in a buyers market. and I absolutely promise that when (and they do) the bride groom (or his photographer friend/brother/uncle whatever, who happens to be best man) ask what camera you will use, he will know and respect 'canon 5d mk2'. unfortunately he probably wont have heard of the gh2, and will remember the lumix label from the tiny little point and shoot cameras you see sold a supermarkets.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ade4all View Post
    the slr magic 12mm 1.6 covers that nicely
    but it doesnt. people dont want distorted images for corporate and wedding stuff. they want classical. 12mm is an effect lens ans will not match a canon 24mm on full frame.

4. Collapse Details
    I'm not trying to play devils advocate here. but with 4k budget, a zoom h4n etc frankenstein rig, all rickety and with those god awful blue handles everywhere, a flappy cheap matte box, etc you'll stand out like a sore thumb at weddings. where the videographer has to be out of the way (like you are not there). We are in a buyers market. and I absolutely promise that when (and they do) the bride groom (or his photographer friend/brother/uncle whatever, who happens to be best man) ask what camera you will use, he will know and respect 'canon 5d mk2'. unfortunately he probably wont have heard of the gh2, and will remember the lumix label from the tiny little point and shoot cameras you see sold a supermarkets.
    Unfortunately this is often the case. As others have stated I have seen a LOT of freelance camera operator work that specifies 5d/7d. It's disgusting.

Though, if you have a good portfolio of work you can negate that.

5. Collapse Details
    Imho, 5D or Gh2 on a video gig is still not "professional" looking. These are DSLRs! They are still cameras that shoot video. Choosing your camera based upon the possible opinion of a groom's friend at a wedding sounds less than professional to me

The GH2 makes a more detailed image than the 5D. Some like the look of a 5D. The GH2 is more affordable. The 5D has more lenses that are native and high quality. The GH2 will give you more information in the codec with "the hack"...

These are the types of things i would focus on to make your decision. I own both and use the 5DMKII for still work and the GH2 for video work.

6. Collapse Details
    It's really a question of the right tool for the job.

In my opinion... Your first choice of the XF100 is the right choice. It has the basic tool set needed for the type of work you will be doing which the DSLR cameras lack. Pickup a GH2 or a used GH1 as a second camera.
    David W. Jones
    www.joneshdfilms.com

7. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    a zoom h4n etc frankenstein rig, all rickety and with those god awful blue handles everywhere, a flappy cheap matte box, etc you'll stand out like a sore thumb at weddings.
    He would fit right in actually.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
    It's really a question of the right tool for the job.

In my opinion... Your first choice of the XF100 is the right choice. It has the basic tool set needed for the type of work you will be doing which the DSLR cameras lack. Pickup a GH2 or a used GH1 as a second camera.
    I can see your point but the thing is 'right for the job' isn't the mean thing for me. I know I maybe asking to much but I also want to go out and make beautiful films just for my creativic activities so to say.
    I just saw this vid in an other post, http://vimeo.com/32204670
    http://vimeo.com/33025136 and this one.

Am I to indoctrinated already by the DSLR movement, when I think i won't get that quality out of a XF100?

Furthermore, i don't have any wedding video's on my client list. it's just something I would like to do too in the future. Maybe even more stuff like dance events
    In the upcoming months i will me filming instructional vid's for construction workers (brick laying etc) an promo (comercial like) films.

I feel like with buying an DSRL (more and more leaning to GH2) I am equiped to do that (may not be optimal) but I also can start shooting the beaty footage, wich in the end is my true ambition as a filmmaker.

Thanks again for all the replies. After being directed towards canon (vimeo forum) and then GH2 (eoshd.com) I think this is the right place for the final decision ;-)
    Last edited by JimiHx; 05-15-2012 at 07:44 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    The GH2 will give you the shallow DOF look of DSLRs, while having the same resolution qualities as a Sony EX-series camera. I'm constantly amazed by what I'm getting out of my camera.

However, it's not for the faint of heart. This is not a simple point-and-shoot camera. It can be difficult to hack in the first place, depending on your level of expertise, and there are a number of "gotchas" that range from mildly annoying to potentially devastating (i.e. the 720p HDMI bug). The camera has been out and hacked long enough for people to pretty much know what to expect, and the very first thing you need to do is educate yourself on all potential pratfalls that exist in its use. And, if after going through it all, you're still convinced that the GH2 delivers one of the best images for under $10,000 (and I would argue that it does), then by all means go for it, and happy shooting to you.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
    The GH2 will give you the shallow DOF look of DSLRs, while having the same resolution qualities as a Sony EX-series camera. I'm constantly amazed by what I'm getting out of my camera.

However, it's not for the faint of heart. This is not a simple point-and-shoot camera. It can be difficult to hack in the first place, depending on your level of expertise, and there are a number of "gotchas" that range from mildly annoying to potentially devastating (i.e. the 720p HDMI bug). The camera has been out and hacked long enough for people to pretty much know what to expect, and the very first thing you need to do is educate yourself on all potential pratfalls that exist in its use. And, if after going through it all, you're still convinced that the GH2 delivers one of the best images for under $10,000 (and I would argue that it does), then by all means go for it, and happy shooting to you.
    Thanks Gary, help a lot.

My (hacking) level of expertise is zero, haven't own anything before. Altough i know my way around computers to some level. Would it be wiser to let someone else do the hacking for me?

Considering it not being a point&shoot, that goes for both DSLR's right? Wasn't aware of the 720p HDMi tough, could you maybe point me to a thread about this?
    Anyway, I like life the best when i sometimes just jump in the deep water and work my way out of it. Fully respecting the difficulties combined with my beginners level, i will shoot day in and day out to get the hang of it.
    Roughly how many hours would ik take met to sort of control the camera?

Also, does the lack of moire/alliasing issues with the GH2 makes it a little bit easier to learn to shoot on a good level than with the canons?
    That combined with the auto zoom option as backup makes the GH2 also a more ideally camera to start with as beginner?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast