Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Wedding lenses. So much choice, don't want to get it wrong.
    Question
    Hi everyone, I've read so many threads, both here and on other sites but still not certain I'm going the right way.

I'm about to move from Sony Z7's to two FS100s or a fs100 and a fs700. I have no current lenses apart from a few minolta mds and a minolta 70-210 f4 i use with my vg10.

I need fast lenses for weddings but trying to figure out how important Image stabilisation is. For now it seems the only way to get IS/OS is to use the kit lens (too slow) canon lenses with metabones adaptor (Hard to get adaptor at the moment) or sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 with OS in an alpha mount.

I'm worried about going the wrong way and because I have to buy lenses for two cameras thats a lot of money to invest. At the moment I'm leaning towards sony lenses such as a 16-50 2.8 because it's parfocal and the sigma 70-200, both with the la-ea2.

Anyone else that does weddings or work in low light situations have another solution? Sony's lens roadmap say they are going to release some fast wide zooms and long zooms which is probably what I'l end up with, but I need something to use for the next year or however long it takes them to bring them out.

Appreciate the help. Michael.

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Frankly, the best image stabilizer is a tripod/monopod. It simply cannot be beat. Outside of that, go for the fastest lenses you can afford.

3. Collapse Details
    Hi gary, i hardly, if ever take the camera off tripod . if is isnt something to worry about do you think i'd be better with some nikons and the novoflex adaptor? so many factors!

4. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Nikons are the best all-around lenses you can use, considering that they are so adaptable. You can simply purchase another Nikon G adapter and to put them on practically any other camera you may one day own. I personally have a set of fast primes in the Nikon F mount with manual aperture as these are even more compatible still. I use them on a GH2, but I can rest easy knowing that an FS100/700 or C300 or anything is merely a decently priced adapter away.

As for zooms, don't go slower than a f/2.8, and I especially recommend the Nikon G version of the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 because that can give you a lovely wide that always seems to really open up the space.

5. Collapse Details
    nikon 17-55mm 2.8 is a great lens, sharp wide open & nice bokeh at the long end of the zoom - recommend the novoflex adaptor

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MBradshaw View Post
    I'm leaning towards sony lenses such as a 16-50 2.8 because it's parfocal and the sigma 70-200, both with the la-ea2.
    Sony 16-50 2.8 is parfocal? You might want to check on that.
    Sony FS 700 / Sony FS100 (x2) / BMCC 2.5/

7. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    I use the Nikon 17-55mm F/2.8 and Nikon 80-200mm F/2.8 for event coverage.

The 80-200mm is parfocal. Haven't been let down by these two yet seems to be
    a good deal in terms of coverage. Not to mention they are just plain sharp. That
    80-200mm is an amazing pick for sharpness and just overall quality.

8. Collapse Details
    yes the nikon 80-200 is another great addition, you will need lens support - wasnt aware its parfocal, will do my own test but read somewhere else it wasnt so would always refocus after zooming

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ade4all View Post
    yes the nikon 80-200 is another great addition, you will need lens support - wasnt aware its parfocal, will do my own test but read somewhere else it wasnt so would always refocus after zooming
    By my tests, focusing on something zoomed and then zooming all the way out I have been
    able to verify it remains in focus. Also you are very correct a lens support is a must with
    this one. It's quite heavy! Worth the weight however.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Johnston View Post
    Sony 16-50 2.8 is parfocal? You might want to check on that.
    http://www.shawnlam.ca/2011/sony-sal1650-on-nex-fs100/

This is where I get the Info that the Sony 1650 is parfocal. Apparently some people have had to send them back until they get one but they are supposed to be parfocal.

In terms of nikons lenses with manual iris what should I be searching for to find these? Is there a particular range or mount to search for?

Appreciate this, seems I'll be getting Nikon stuff now. Adaptors are cheaper too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast