1. Collapse Details
    Need help constructing some sort of a bike rig
    So I need to create some sort of a rig for a documentary that we're shooting.
    bike.jpg

The bike is going to be ridden in a city environment so it's going to be hard for us to follow it with a scooter or something.
    Anyway I need some shots from the bike itself. I don't have any angles planed as of yet. I just wanted to get some input before hand.
    We are filming with HPX171. So that's a 2kg camera. I don't want to use a DSLR but if it's going to be much easier maybe (maybe) I'll use one.

Has anybody created a rig for a bike?

Thanks!

Br
    S
    Sanjin Švajger

2. Collapse Details
    Press pause on this to see some rigs - may inspire you

Some notes..
    Heavier camera = harder - seriously consider a GoPro/Sony NEX5-16mmPancake

Handlebars - the riders moves these all the time to keep balance - creating a very sick making shot

Smooth road - even the best mount will create shaky footage if the road is rough (unless its a very special mount)

I can provide more info via PM if you want..

Good luck

Sam MM

ps I also built a rickshaw which is towed by a bike and the 'talent bike' follows it or rides beside it
    using a steadicam you can get smooth footage
    Last edited by morgan_moore; 05-11-2012 at 03:12 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Well, if you need shots of the bike itself as its being ridden... then realistically you need to to mount the camera on a bike and ride beside it. Probably mounting the camera somewhere across the top bar of a men's bike, or across the handle bar would be the best place.
    But it sounds like your working within tight spaces and need something small and light.
    Why not use a Gopro2 camera?? Its got a good fisheye and you can mount it just about anywhere.
    Also a DSLR with a ultra wide on it makes a lot of sense in this case well.
    Rollerblading camera man with a steadycam rig?
    If you plan out your shots well you can use any number of vehicles for capturing your shots: Off the side of a car window, scooter, another bike, rollerblades, maybe even someone on a skateboard being pulled by a bike.

4. Collapse Details
    Looks interesting. Some rods or something is going to be a must I see - if I'll want to have some flexibility...
    The bike will be ridden in a city, so that means paved roads and side walks.

I have the same 2 sided clamps as this fellas in the video. Although they are plastic not metal. Hm...
    Thanks for the vid Morgan!
    Sanjin Švajger

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by daihard View Post
    Well, if you need shots of the bike itself as its being ridden... then realistically you need to to mount the camera on a bike and ride beside it. Probably mounting the camera somewhere across the top bar of a men's bike, or across the handle bar would be the best place.
    But it sounds like your working within tight spaces and need something small and light.
    Why not use a Gopro2 camera?? Its got a good fisheye and you can mount it just about anywhere.
    Also a DSLR with a ultra wide on it makes a lot of sense in this case well.
    Rollerblading camera man with a steadycam rig?
    If you plan out your shots well you can use any number of vehicles for capturing your shots: Off the side of a car window, scooter, another bike, rollerblades, maybe even someone on a skateboard being pulled by a bike.
    I'll definitely think of a way to shoot the rider yes But I do need some shots from the bike itself. I'll look into gopro2!
    Sanjin Švajger

6. Collapse Details
    You must understand why the handlebars are a bad mount point due to the contiuous undulations of the riding action
    my rig is attached to the frame and goes out in front of the handlebars..

Also check my post again .. I added a rickshaw vid..

S