Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Bummer. As Chris says, I hope it somehow comes together for you.
    "If they move, kill'em!"

2. Collapse Details
    I officially pulled the plug today. I could blame my first-time actors but it is my fault for not impressing upon them the time demands that were required to get this done. I don't think they appreciated the time required for post-production and that carried into their blasť attitude towards turning up when required. Due to illness production was pushed back into the only time of year that weather is unpredictable here in Perth. So I haven't been able to give more than a couple of days notice of a shooting day and my actors haven't given me the flexibility I needed. The irony is the weather is perfect today. I hope to have another crack at this script next year when the weather is right. No doubt I will have moved on by then but I'll keep it on the backburner nevertheless.

I have still learnt a lot from this process and will enter my next project with confidence. I had intended to submit no matter how far short the result fell of the vision. I thought about making a exhibition entry but in the end the best result was going to be a disappointment. So I made the economic decision to can it. Had it gone ahead this project had it would have come in under budget (an achievement in itself). I budgeted $750 and spent just over $500. While cancelling the project technically puts me over budget, I bought the military equipment bought knowing that it will be reusable in future projects. The set materials haven't been used and so can be likewise recycled. Significantly less than $100 was wasted in the end.

So ultimately I will take the lessons learnt from a full pre-production cycle (which was a success) and an aborted production cycle into my next project. I'm going to spend the next month getting familiar with my NLE (which I only got my hands on today - that played its part in my decision). I have a much better idea of my limitations and will try to cultivate some local contacts in the intervening time. I'm just disappointed to be pulling the plug (mitigated by my Alienfest result). The next scriptfest is expected to tie in with the next filmfest so I'm looking forward to that extended production schedule. I have a much better idea of my limitations and will try to cultivate some local contacts and develop my resources in the intervening time.

I'm toying with the idea for a crude playdough animation but time will surely beat me. Either way I look forward to seeing all your efforts next month. Good luck to all those still in the race and thankyou for those who have offered advice and support. Oh well, decision made now I can sit back and watch the footy. 3 points up at half-time. Go Dockers!
    Last edited by Egg Born Son; 07-08-2012 at 01:19 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Bummer! I'm in the middle of a mountain of CG and know how you feel. Five weeks to go and I'm still sweating blood. I'm lucky - i've worked with my actors for years. they're all pros and know what they're getting into ahead of time. If you really want to do short films, develop a good stock company - actors of all ages. it's the only way to go.
    "If they move, kill'em!"

4. Collapse Details
    gah, yeah I had worried about such, it was ambitious but quite a lot to chew on it seems. :/ Its happened to me many times….. but good luck however in the future!

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Born Son View Post
    I officially pulled the plug today.
    I'm sorry to hear that. I know how hard it can be to mount a production and I really hope you do get to this film in the new year!

6. Collapse Details
    Dang and rats. Really a nice concept. But even without a film, the experience has tremendous value next run.

a

7. Collapse Details
    you should just quickly scramble together an action scene just so you can have something to put in the fest :p

8. Collapse Details
    That's too bad...I loved the logline (I enjoy your writing anyway). But it sounds like you got some valuable experience that will benefit you on your next project.

I recently got my first NLE and camera, so I'll headed down the same road in the near future(hopefully).
    the writer formerly known as "Conlan Forever"

Need a short script?
    Have an idea? Want to collaborate? Contact me.

screenwriter75@yahoo.com

9. Collapse Details
    Sorry to hear about the production. But, I know these kinds of lessons are only learned from experience - I'm struggling with serious time constraints as well. Not sure I'll pull it together in time, so I may just submit the WIP.

For me, it's the feedback that's gold. There are some tremendously generous folks on here that really take the time to provide thoughtful and constructive criticism on each submitted film. That's just plain awesome.
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

10. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I probably pulled the pin prematurely as it turned out. I had a lot of stuff going on at work (almost pulled the pin on that too, bit my tongue and a day later management seems to have capitulated...for the time being) and my friends who were standing in for the actors I lost were proving too unreliable. With the weather (it's winter here) we were only getting one or two days a fortnight that was usable and that had to fall on a Saturday, the only day I could get the location to myself (a WWII naval observation station with decommissioned artillery still in place). On Sundays they run tours and there's picnickers and on weekdays everyone involved works. Plus I didn't give them enough time to rehearse or prepare.

Since I pulled the pin however the weather has been clear and sunny and even warm during the day for 80% of the time. That has been pretty frustrating, I had thought to have another crack but as a one man crew even if I had got the footage I would have only been able to deliver a rough cut with no sound. My work computer went down with a virus and when IT found the editing software I installed on it they got a little...upset with me (going so far as to 'strenuously' refer me to policy) and have locked me down. My own computer died months ago and the replacement I bought hasn't been despatched yet because the seller offered paypal but didn't have a paypal account, refused to get one and paypal wouldn't release the money because the seller couldn't be contacted to say okay...blah blah blah. Paypal's great when it works, the seventh hell when it doesn't. They've now released the money but it will still take a week to clear to my account because....well who knows how paypal works. I digress.

The project is not dead however. I suspect War was the theme primarily because the northern hemisphere season is conducive to outdoor shoots. I will be revisiting this either late spring (Octoberish) this year or early august (Aprilish) next year. I have had some discussions with my actor who is still really keen and now has a better understanding of the level of commitment I need. And I am more sympathetic to the actor preparation I need to deliver. The real actors I had lined up are willing to be contacted for another go if they don't have other commitments when I'm ready and I should be able to get the location back so I might be able to reuse most of my existing preparation as it stands. Not longer being a Warfest entry I can rewrite the script back to the 8-9 minute piece it should have been.

In the meantime I'm working on something else I can make over a long period of time utilising the resources and people close to hand while waiting excitedly for the next fest. There has been suggestions the next scriptfest will be linked with the next filmfest which means extended production time for those making their own scripts so I am really looking forward to that. I'm a little disappointed in being defeated by the setbacks but even moreso because the preparation had been so good (before I got sick). I am the worst organised person in the world so my successful preproduction was a huge point of pride. I've really appreciated the support from you guys and pleasantly surprised by the buzz it generated. I'm hooked, I'm definitely submitting for the next one!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast