Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Defence Mechanism
    With trepidation I open my thread...

...if I am to fail let it be publicly with copious egg on my face!

poster_sml.JPG

DEFENCE MECHANISM

In the aftermath of a war that destroyed civilisation a lonely civilian comes upon a
    cybernetic soldier, still standing his post decades on. After permitting the civilian onto
    its territory the soldier finds its routines interrupted by the new stimulus. Over time an
    unlikely bond forms between the pair, each finding something they are missing in the
    other. As its defences are penetrated physically and psychologically the soldier ultimately
    finds some humanity in itself.

2. Collapse Details
    This will be my first scripted film, my first attempt at editing with FCP, and operating a camera I'm only just getting to grips with. My people resources are limited (cash too for that matter) so I will have probably have to perform more roles than humanly possible. Worst case scenario I'll have to act - ugh!

BUT

For the first time I have a SCRIPT.

I have a POSTER (half the battle?).

I have one of my two leads (a man mountain keen to play my soldier)

Have sourced most my locations (permissions just need rubber stamping)

Should have all the equipment I need (the basics: camera, lenses, lights, audio)

I know a few musicians so hope to get a score done for beer

Have a couple of leads on make up artists: one will need to be paid (properly), the other is still learning

I have someone wanting to do the lighting (really wanted to do it myself but have to take the help offered)

Have half the script-essential props either in hand or on the way

Already have the materials to build any set required (this fest was announced the day I was about to start construction of a set for something else I was working on - lucky!)

For someone who couldn't organise their way out of a wet paper bag I'm already much further along than I thought I would be. So time to put it all on the line and start a thread!

If there is anyone in Perth who wants to get involved with this project, shoot me a PM. As it stands I'll be taking on more roles than I could expect to do well, even if I had unlimited time. But no matter how it turns out, as long as I turn something in I'll finally be able to call myself filmmaker! Still in pre-production, need to finalise the shooting schedule but aiming to get it done in two weekends with a third for pickups if required. Then I've got to cross my fingers and hope that the editing goes smoothly (not aiming to do anything fancy). The time for reading about it and doing endless camera tests is over! Time to see what I have learnt...
    Last edited by Egg Born Son; 05-08-2012 at 08:53 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Welcome aboard. THis is what the fests are all about - getting people to make something and if you can do that - good, bad or ugly, you're doing and not talking making you already a winner in my book.

Start looking around for local film group meet ups etc to get some crew. Any local facebook groups in your area? Get yourself some crew. Try starnow.com.au for some local actors - dont cast based on look alone, can this guy act? Thats going to go along way to what your end result is.

And, if you want someone to review your script drop me a message admin@scarlet-films.com and I'll give it a review for you.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

4. Collapse Details
    if you can pull it off, it sounds great!
    But will say this because I have been through it, dont bight off more then you can chew. Short films dont have to be miniature feature films

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the responses. It's starting to dawn on me that yes, maybe I have tried to take on too much. With the passage of another week all of a sudden 3 months doesn't seem like such a long time. Still haven't found my second actor, unsure of whether to use my locations or build sets. And a shaving motif I used in my script because it is a simple idea is beginning to prove logistically bothersome but is too critical now to remove. A couple of essential items I bought on ebay don't seem to be too concerned about my schedule and I may be giving myself only 2-3 weeks of post production in the end, argh! I don't think I'll ever have the right to criticise a bad movie again as long as its finished! I've read that it's the hardest thing you can do, making a movie. I'm believing it right now.

I will take you up on your kind offer Noel, just trying to adjust the script to meet my new set of limitations. Mustn't lose sight of the fact that the end goal isn't to make a good film, it's to make a finished film that I can learn from.

6. Collapse Details
    what I would do, is make a "piece" of said film. Use all the resources you have and just take a small portion of it to complete it.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Born Son View Post
    Mustn't lose sight of the fact that the end goal isn't to make a good film, it's to make a finished film that I can learn from.
    You're my new favourite member. Got your email - will get through it.
    w: Noel Evans TV

e: noel@noelevans.tv
    p: +61 (0) 408 455 374

8. Collapse Details
    How's it coming?

I'm intrigued by the poster and hope the film is coming together just as nicely!

9. Collapse Details
    It will be a miracle.

My actors let me down on Saturday and the shoot was aborted at the last minute (literally). I just got contacted by them keen to get out and have another go but I think weather will beat me. My lengthy illness pretty much hamstrung this project and I lost my preferred actors, location and ideal weather with the revised schedule. The script can no longer be fulfilled, I have some alternate ideas but it is no longer tight and I'm struggling to find a new scene to show the transition from a cautious tolerance to a co-dependent relationship between the two characters. Without that the film will be weak no matter how good the other parts. I am considering doing a playdough animation of the original script as a backup plan. Failing that I have an alternative idea I can do with the neighbours kids.

I have learnt a lot even without getting it shot yet. My initial planning was perfect, I had everything accounted for and ready to go. Had I not gotten sick I'm fairly confident things would have gone reasonably smoothly, none of the disasters I've faced would have come to pass if I'd been able to meet my schedule and I would have had a months leeway. In some respects I'm glad it's all hit the fan because I've learnt a lot and will be better prepared for the next one. But I would have liked to see the film I intended to make. I'm still determined to do something. I pretty much have to commit to a course of action by this weekend and stick to it or the deadline will sink me (if it hasn't already).

Thanks for your interest. I'm keen to see what everyone else is up to. Not a single logline has failed to pique my interest.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Born Son View Post
    It will be a miracle.
    I understand. So many things have to fall in place for a film to come together. It sounds like a long shot, but I do hope your miracle comes to pass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast