Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
    If it were me and I needed a camera right now... A used FS100 or AF100.
    If I didn't need one right now, I'd wait and see.

By the time you spend your money trying to make a DSLR workable with all the rig crap and external audio fix and such you could be shooting with a real video camera.
    +1

In spades.
    Matt Gottshalk - Dp/Editor
    McGee Digital Media

2. Collapse Details
    You are really going to miss the servo zoom and on board audio going to a DSLR for the type stuff you shoot.
    Yeah, I've thought about that but to be honest I'm bored with my shooting style, perhaps not being able to rely on zooms would force me to think more creatively. On board audio is a concern, although 90% of the stuff I do has all the sound redone in post. In all honesty, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H98UQ_qUqzY this is the kind of style I'm shooting for.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Plazm View Post
    Yeah, I've thought about that but to be honest I'm bored with my shooting style, perhaps not being able to rely on zooms would force me to think more creatively.
    Or... it could turn out to be limiting & expensive buying lenses to cover different things.

Bored with your shooting style? Do you really think a shooting style is about what camera you happen to own?

Having watched the new video you linked to, I see some slow motion, overused slider shots, and a bunch of tilting dutch angle style handheld shots, but to be honest, nothing that would make me watch the video for more than a couple of seconds before I clicked off.

If you want a DSLR then pick one and start shooting. But remember... the camera, any camera for that matter, is just a tool. It's you that will be the determining factor in the success or lack there of in your shoots.

All the Best!

Dave
    David W. Jones
    www.joneshdfilms.com

4. Collapse Details
    Or... it could turn out to be limiting & expensive buying lenses to cover different things.

Bored with your shooting style? Do you really think a shooting style is about what camera you happen to own?

Having watched the new video you linked to, I see some slow motion, overused slider shots, and a bunch of tilting dutch angle style handheld shots, but to be honest, nothing that would make me watch the video for more than a couple of seconds before I clicked off.

If you want a DSLR then pick one and start shooting. But remember... the camera, any camera for that matter, is just a tool. It's you that will be the determining factor in the success or lack there of in your shoots.

All the Best!

Dave
    Noted, thanks for the adivice.

5. Collapse Details
    The sony 2100 was good, but I actually recommend the Bosch KDF-1. http://www.tvcameramuseum.org/bosch/kcf1/p1.htm

6. Collapse Details
    Actually I'd echo all who've mentioned before. If you need great still too, the Canon. For vid only, for sure the GH2.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosimo Bullo View Post
    Actually I'd echo all who've mentioned before. If you need great still too, the Canon. For vid only, for sure the GH2.
    Another thing that makes the choice so hard. I'd love to get into photography which is what makes me lean towards the Canon but the more thought-out video aspect of the GH2 pull me in that direction. :P

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Plazm View Post
    Another thing that makes the choice so hard. I'd love to get into photography which is what makes me lean towards the Canon but the more thought-out video aspect of the GH2 pull me in that direction. :P
    I had a young opinionated shooter tell me the same thing, GH2 is great for video but sucks for still pics.

I shot stills of the same subject with both my Canon and Panasonic DSLR cameras. OK I said, which one is which? He could not tell which still was from which camera, but he assured me that which ever one was taken with the Canon was better. Go figure!
    David W. Jones
    www.joneshdfilms.com

9. Collapse Details
    I had a young opinionated shooter tell me the same thing, GH2 is great for video but sucks for still pics.

I shot stills of the same subject with both my Canon and Panasonic DSLR cameras. OK I said, which one is which? He could not tell which still was from which camera, but he assured me that which ever one was taken with the Canon was better. Go figure!
    LOL. People are funny.

But seriously, I can see the difference. You can get close with a very convoluted workflow that involves silkypix and hoping everything is sharp without being able to really tell in the camera (that darned stills playback bug that slightly blurs everything), but the same can be said of the converse- the Canon takes great video, and side by side at 720p most folks can't tell the difference. I would still prefer each for specific tasks more than the other.

My 2 cents.
    FOR SALE: Panasonic G6 Kit with spare battery. Click here for details.

Making movies, and the internet a happier place.
    Twitter: @theRombus
    Click Here to view my Techcitement articles

Black Panasonic GH2 | Silver Panasonic GH2 | Bunch of Canon DSLRs w/Magic Lantern and audio monitoring | DVX100
    Vintage lens fanatic | More accessories than I care to list anymore

10. Collapse Details
    Well I do own both, so there ya go. Bottom line, they all shoot pretty darn good stills and video now.
    So I'd just pick a camera and start shooting. If it's not what you need, sell it and get what works for you.
    David W. Jones
    www.joneshdfilms.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast