1. Collapse Details
    Can I remove a -10db pad from a Lav?
    I found a guy who is offereing a decent deal on some mke-2 lavs. The only problem is they have a -10db pad on them and that may not work for my recorder. I know most pads are just a resistor in series somewhere in the line, Does anyone have experience removing these things or is it not possible?

2. Collapse Details
    Any thing is possible if you have the right skills and proper equipment. I'm sure if you take them to your local Pro audio repair place one of their techs can do this for you.

Good luck

3. Collapse Details
    Can't you just turn up the gain? I have a pair of small condensers with switchable 10dB pads, almost never switch them off. That said I mostly record loud things but it almost always sounds better using the pads combined with the increased sensitivity of a higher gain setting. Never used a lav though, I don't know if rustling clothes would be improved or made worse. I would assume improved. Why would they add parts to a lav without a performance gain. Engineers aren't stupid and bean counters don't like extraneous parts.

4. Collapse Details
    What type of connectors are on them, and can the seller tell you in what manner attenuation is achieved?
    I don't have any MKE series mics, but my Countryman (B3/6) mics where sold in three sensitivity options, which where specific to the capsule, and could not be changed by eliminating resistors in the connector.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Born Son View Post
    Can't you just turn up the gain? I have a pair of small condensers with switchable 10dB pads, almost never switch them off. That said I mostly record loud things but it almost always sounds better using the pads combined with the increased sensitivity of a higher gain setting. Never used a lav though, I don't know if rustling clothes would be improved or made worse. I would assume improved. Why would they add parts to a lav without a performance gain. Engineers aren't stupid and bean counters don't like extraneous parts.
    EBS,

clothing noise, or any other noise, is not changed by pad usage. pads are there to allow for recording things with different levels, e.g. a soft spoken monolog and an operatic performance. Some lavs, countryman B6 for example, are available in different sensitivities for just this reason.

Regards,

Ty Ford

6. Collapse Details
    Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by mattharris19 View Post
    I found a guy who is offereing a decent deal on some mke-2 lavs. The only problem is they have a -10db pad on them and that may not work for my recorder. I know most pads are just a resistor in series somewhere in the line, Does anyone have experience removing these things or is it not possible?
    No, you can't remove the 10dB pad.

All MKE 2s have a 10dB pad compared to the original version - they were originally called the "red dot" version (as there was a red dot on the package to identify it) and this became the standard version. All the newer "Gold" versions also have the same sensitivity.

As it is all in the electronics inside the moulded head you would have to completely destroy the microphone to remove the pad.

But you should find it fine as it is.

BUT - a word of caution - if they have been used on stage, worn on the head, they could be suffering from sweat damage - in which case I would not touch them with a bargepole.

Otherwise, the MKE 2 is a superb mic. and one of the best around.
    John Willett
    Sound-Link ProAudio Ltd.
    Circle Sound Services
    President - International Federation of Soundhunters (FICS)

Recorder: Nagra VI, Nagra SD, AETA 4MinX
    Mics: (all pairs): Sennheiser MKH 20/30/40/800/8020/8040/816F, Neumann KM-D series. Plus: Soundfield SPS200, Neumann TLM 103, KMR 81i + loads more
    DAW: Sequoia
    Monitors: Geithain RL906, Harbeth M30A, K+H O110D
    Headphones: Sennheiser HD 25-1, HD 800
    Monitor Controller: Grace m903