Thread: audio for movie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Noiz summed up exactly what I was going to say. I'll just add that for me, the budget will dictate the number of "fixes" the director gets in post production. If it's no/low budget, I would usually give one pass of fixes, and that was it. If it's a big budget major release, then you do what you have to do to get it done. In the end, I think post sound people will tell you that there is something in every single film they've worked on that they didn't like but there just wasn't time or budget to fix.
    David Fisk
    Sales Manager
    K-Tek/M. Klemme Technology Corp.
    dave@ktekbooms.com

2. Collapse Details
    Senior Member gonzo_entertainment's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ReelFilmGeek View Post
    If only that was so easy
    Sometimes I forget how lucky I am.

3. Collapse Details
    I already read through the link that you guys posted up, and also the stickies. For the past 10 month since I got my first DSLR, I have been spending all my money on video equipment and spending all my times on forums and youtube. I was so obsessed with getting the best video quality possible. I bet there's a lot people like me that only care about video and not audio. Instead of focusing so much on video, I think I'm going to start focusing more on audio. So does anyone know where I can go to learn more about audio?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ReelFilmGeek View Post
    If only that was so easy
    Try Craiglists
    The name is Ewan Lumsden

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Nhat Nguyen View Post
    So does anyone know where I can go to learn more about audio?
    I don't think my route is going to be much help. I had done sound in theatre and recording for many years when I managed to start doing films. Working for and then with many talented folks for another ten years or so doing sound post.

I have taught a schools and can't really recommend that as a learning path for sound. There are books and DVD's, and some of them are actually pretty good, but that is like learning tennis by reading about it. It can help but it's a muscle you have to exercise and the only way to do that is to do it.
    So find someone doing post and intern for a couple of years. That would be a start.

Or go Gonzo and get a partner who lives sound and learn from them. Though personally I would do what YOU want to do and others to do the rest. Go for sound if that is what drives you. But if you would rather direct, direct. They get paid better.
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise
    Bug’n out of Babylon

“It ain’t ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, it’s the things that people know that ain’t so”

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Nhat Nguyen View Post
    So does anyone know where I can go to learn more about audio?
    Try this first: http://dvxuser.com/articles/dvxshop/SoundDVD/

But finding internships, or even finding a sound person who will let you shadow for a while, will provide some invaluable, hands-on experience.
    Formerly known as C2V
    ------------------------------------------------
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

For Sale: Yashica ML Prime Lenses

7. Collapse Details
    do you really want to learn audio, or would you just rather have someone who knows it working for you?
    David Fisk
    Sales Manager
    K-Tek/M. Klemme Technology Corp.
    dave@ktekbooms.com

8. Collapse Details
    If the answer to the above is that someone else can take on learning it you need to have someone else take over. Give them a fancy title and an assignment to learn whatever they can. It doesn't have to be an expert, just one of your friends interested in production. It's a good place for them to start, and you can share your knowledge going forward. None of my regular audio people were audio for video experts until I pushed them that way.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Noiz2 View Post

Also most new filmmakers don't shoot in a way that allows for really clean dialog tracks. They haven't padded everything down so you get a lot of set sounds that are often not removable.
    Good post, Noiz. Can you please elaborate on padding everything down?

Thanks.

10. Collapse Details
    Have you every been in a real sound stage or recording studio? There are sound treatments all over and in the wall designed to kill echos/reflections and temper the room, and isolate you from the outside world. Now compare that to your standard indie level shoots. No one ever thinks about the hardwood floors, the neighbors AC, being in the flightpath of LAX, being next to a busy street........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast