Thread: Marching Home

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by EJBinSD View Post
    Common comment.

If you've read any of this thread I don't think the question should be how are the uniforms so clean for the film as much as why are actual civil war reenactment uniforms so clean.
    This stuff is NOT cheap. The real deal has to be made of wool and can cost upwards of a couple hundred bucks.
    http://www.ccsutlery.com/store/civil...-specials.html

2. Collapse Details
    Really loved that you did a Civil War piece, and also really loved this idea and 99% of the execution. Not sure if anybody else has mentioned this yet but the ending fell a bit flat for me. It was certainly beautifully shot, and I loved the scoring underneath, but I felt like I was missing something: the "so what?" of what had happened. He drops the gun and walks away and... I can't help but feel like someone implied something important and poignant and I just missed it. The whole film up till then was wonderful, some of the best acting I thought in the fest. Great work!!

3. Collapse Details
    Civil War! Love it. The locations, costumes, props, camera, were great. I loved that you were able to pull off such a big idea with only two actors. It felt normal, not out of place. The southern actor was phenomenal and believable. Everything from appearance to voice to acting. The Union soldier did a good job as well but something didn't feel right. It took me a second time of watching to realize what it was: he wasn't scared. He seemed too calm for a messenger boy that has a gun pointed in his face by a Southern soldier who is on the edge. To top it all off the Union soldier has never even been in battle. He should have been wetting his pants trying to talk this guy down! This is one of my only complaints, as a whole this was really well done. The music was great and fit perfectly. One of my favorite films. Great work!

4. Collapse Details
    Nice period piece, always enjoy something out of the box. I do agree with uber clean outfits, no such things in the civil war if you are out in battle. Problem for me is that I just saw "Dancing With Wolves" a week ago, so it makes it harder for me not to compare the outfits, the syntax, and the lack of conflict.

Southern guy spoke more "proper" for the time period, though not spot-on. Clothes on him way, way, WAY too clean for someone who has been out in the field for a period of time. Yankee did not have dialogue that related to the time.

Also, I did have trouble hearing the dialogue from the Southern guy.

However, having said that, BOTH actors were "believable" but I didn't quite get the story in the end. Not enough conflict. Not enough drama. Not enough action. A blow to the head from the butt of a rifle would have caused some bleeding, a cut, something more than what I saw.

Nice use of period piece weaponry, kudos there.

It was a good effort. Music was good, even the music ending "Johnny Comes Marching Home" but I feel that there wasn't enough story. You had two good actors, good costumes, nice setting, but where's the depth of story? Better than past films you've done, so I do give you that!

Good job Zaza on the music!
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
    Portfolio of an Entertainment Blogger

5. Collapse Details
    Nice job, congratulations.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456