Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Using a GH2 for a travel documentary
    Question
    I am planning on filming a documentary film about traveling. The documentary will focus heavily on interviews with travelers and short clips of scenery. I wish to maintain a low profile while in poor areas and I also want to travel with the lightest/smallest amount of gear as possible. I am considering buying the GH2 w/ a few lens once my project is funded.

I am thinking to buy the kit 14-14omm lens and a
    LEICA DG SUMMILUX 25mm / F1.4 ASPH. Would these two lens be adequate for most purposes?

Also, does anyone know if the GH2 is light enough to be stable on the Manfrotto 682B Self Standing Monopod? I am considering on buying this instead of a tripod.
    http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-682B.../dp/B0009PSF9O

2. Collapse Details
    If you plan on using the sound for anything other than a quick internet-posted video, also consider an external audio recorder. The GH2 records sound alright but you can't monitor it and the quality isn't great.

My ultralight travel kit includes exactly those two lenses, plus a Lumix 7-14.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks, this is audio equipment I currently have:

Tascam DR-07mkII Portable Digital Audio Recorder
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...G&A=details&Q=

Audio-Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone
    http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica...5999112&sr=1-2

I will probably upgrade to a Zoom H4n and a Rode VideoMic once I get more funding for my project.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowboardz View Post

I am thinking to buy the kit 14-14omm lens and a
    LEICA DG SUMMILUX 25mm / F1.4 ASPH. Would these two lens be adequate for most purposes?
    My choices also. Just bear in mind that the Panasonic Leica has no IS and is virtually useless for video handheld where any kind of camera motion is concerned. However, with proper support and for taking RAW photos it is exceptional.

Happy travels.

5. Collapse Details
    The GH2 would be a great travel camera. It's very lightweight. I recommend the 14-140mm lens, but that's just me. Having the extra zoom has come in very handy.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneinapond View Post
    My choices also. Just bear in mind that the Panasonic Leica has no IS and is virtually useless for video handheld where any kind of camera motion is concerned. However, with proper support and for taking RAW photos it is exceptional.

Happy travels.
    Do you have any other suggestions for a fast second lens?

7. Collapse Details
    GH2 is a perfect camera for this - especially hacked. Interviews with travelers sounds like you need a fast & wide lens for interviews in tight, dark places - like planes, trains & automobiles...
    Maybe something like this? Noktor 12mm F1.6 https://vimeo.com/30097165
    Thanks,

Harry
    Sunny & Mild Media

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Pallenberg View Post
    GH2 is a perfect camera for this - especially hacked. Interviews with travelers sounds like you need a fast & wide lens for interviews in tight, dark places - like planes, trains & automobiles...
    Maybe something like this? Noktor 12mm F1.6 https://vimeo.com/30097165
    Thanks, I was considering the Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.1, but the lens you suggested seems like a good option too.

9. Collapse Details
    If you're already considering a Nokton 50, you may also consider the Voigtlander Nokton 25/0.95 and especially 17.5/0.95. They will be more "normal" and "wide" vs. the more telephoto angle of view vs. a 50mm.

I'm loving the heck out of my 17.5. I think it's a sweet spot on the GH2 of just wide enough in normal mode (~35mm equivalent) and just telephoto enough in ETC mode (~90mm equivalent). Being such a fast lens, it's fairly easy to keep your ISO low and avoid the high-ISO-noise issues of ETC mode. The image is good wide open and sharp as anything anywhere at f2 or slower.

10. Collapse Details
    The Lumix 20mm f1.7 is a great lens too. Very tiny, makes the camera about as small as it can get but still takes excellent images.
    Check out my short films on Vimeo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast