Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Art of the Bag - a Speed Bag Story
    Fellow DVXUsers, I guess it's my turn for a Kickstarter go-around. A bunch of you know me here and I hope that counts for something. For the last year, I've been really getting into the Speed Bag as an addition to my regular workout routine. It has become an addiction. I kid you not, if you try it, you will get addicted! I've also found a large community of others that have the same addiction. Through that community, I've gotten to know the 'Speed Bag King", Alan Kahn, author of "The Speed Bag Bible" (http://www.speedbagcentral.com/) and the man that started it all. He is a wizard on the speed bag and a mentor for pretty much every modern speed bagger....and a heck of a nice guy. He has been promoting the speed bag as not only a great workout, but a rehabilitation tool that has help paraplegics and people fighting Parkinson's Disease (http://www.rocksteadyboxing.org/).

Then there's his 'Punchdrumming(TM)', which is hitting the bag to music and improvising like a drummer or percussionist....really cool stuff!

So you can see there's a lot of very interesting angles here and I'd like to explore them in a short documentary. Alan Kahn is on-board as well as many other prominent speed baggers; Zach Ruffo (aka SpeedBag Skunk, Everlast), Tim Platt (owner of the Speedbagforum.com)...and even Brian Tichy (Whitesnake drummer http://www.briantichy.com/)!

Please take a look and if you can (before spending all your cash on that BMC Camera) find it in your heart to help support the film, click one of those pledge buttons. Every $1.00 counts and is most appreciated! I'm not looking for much, it's mostly for travel so I can get to these people.

Even if you can't kick-in, please feel free to "Post & Pass" the link to anyone and everyone that might be interested.... 'like' the Facebook page... you guys/gals know what to do.

Thanks in advance for taking a look. - Zaza

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...peed-bag-story

http://www.facebook.com/artofthebag

Official web site: http://www.artofthebag.com/

Last edited by ZazaCast; 12-17-2013 at 09:07 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Brian Tichy, Whitesnake's drummer and speed bagger extraordinaire, now has a custom speed bag platform that is part of his drum kit. He has incorporated the speed bag into his drumming!
    You can check it out on a few current episodes of VH1's "That Metal Show".
    http://www.vh1.com/video/that-metal-...playlist.jhtml

I can't wait to interview him for this film...

If you haven't already, please checkout the kickstarter page and show your support.
    Ever $1.00 helps.
    Last edited by ZazaCast; 05-03-2012 at 07:09 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    What a great community of filmmakers helping fellow filmmakers create their vision....thanks to all for the generous pledges!
    It's always good to be reminded of what DVXUser is all about.

4. Collapse Details
    As the funding drive continues....I'm gearing-up for the SPEED B.A.G. III gathering in July.
    If you're interested in this activity at all, you should check it out....all the best will be there.

If you haven't already, please be sure to checkout the Kickstarter Campaign

5. Collapse Details
    Update:
    I've been talking to Zach Ruffo (aka Speed Bag Skunk) from Everlast and he's totally on-board. Again, as I speak to these guys, I'm always surprized as to how passionate & more then willing they are to share any information and promote this healthy addiction. I've been noticing more & more that we are a country that is getting 'bigger' and more sedentary, it's all over the news. Our kids may be in trouble if they don't get off their computers and cell phones, start eating right and get moving. I feel my generation (and as a parent) is kind of responsible too. I, like many of us, has had a battle with my genetics all my life...this has been passed down to my children. I really don't want them to have to struggle as I have.

This is another aspect of this project... to help promote a well-rounded, healthy lifestyle. Like we've all heard, "find your passion...something you like to do as a career and you'll never have to work a day in your life.". I think this should apply to all aspects of our life...and we'd all be the better for it. It's taken me all these years for the lightbulb to go off! Speed bagging is something I really enjoy doing so it doesn't seem your exercising and it's a great workout!

Checkout Zach on the Speed bag... and a regular workout... it's really amazing to see the strength and agility the human body is capable of...all human bodies, yours & mine included! [well... maybe not mine at the moment...but I'm working on it! ]

WOW... just WOW!

Please take a look (if you haven't already) and pledge...remember, with Kickstarter, if you don't reach your goal, no one is charged a penny.
    Any level is MOST appreciated. Please help me make this film.

Best,
    -Za

6. Collapse Details
    ....contacted Everlast, Title Boxing & Ringside Boxing...they have interest! Fingers-crossed they might come through.

14 days to go on the campaign, man these are a LOT of work. Would love to see more support from fellow filmmakers.

Onward...
    Cheers!

7. Collapse Details
    Tip of the hat to DVXUser (and mighty fine actor) Tom Marshall.... Thanks Tom for the generous pledge!

8. Collapse Details
    TITLE Boxing has offered their support to the film! ....and a whole bunch of great equipment.
    Thank you TITLE for believing in the project.

If you're looking for great equipment visit TITLE Boxing (they support indie filmmakers).
    http://www.titleboxing.com/

9. Collapse Details
    Despite my best efforts....and with 3 days to go.... the Kickstarter looks like a fail....
    BUT, thanks to a bunch of dedicated "pledgers" and the kind generosity of TITLE Boxing, the film will still be made!

Learned a lot about people, filmmakers and running a Kickstarter campaign, so there is that.
    1. It's a LOT of work (and unless you have a hugh fanbase or are a social media butterfly, crowdfunding might not be for you)
    2. Times are tight and so are most people (unless you're talking about a new camera, lenses or some other goodies you just have to have)
    3. $1.00 pledges (just as a show of support) aren't even worth posting. Most of my pledges were in the $100.00 range (interesting)
    4. It looks like Kickstarters for a product (pre-sales if you will) are the most successful.

I'd recommend a few well placed & pitched emails or phone calls... you might be surprized on the funds you can gather quickly, allowing you
    to spent all that other time on preproduction for the film.
    Last edited by ZazaCast; 01-24-2013 at 07:27 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Well... back from 4 long days of shooting at SPEED B.A.G. III in Keyport, NJ....and it's looking like I got a bunch of good stuff!
    (22 hours of footage to go through and organize).

I thought some of you might be interested in my little interview set-up? Since it was just me, I needed to keep it light, easy to move and hopefully get a good look for the film.
    I rented a suite so I'd have a little room for the interviews, as you may know, speed bagging is NOT a quiet activity!

All I brought were a couple clip-on work lights with CF bulbs, a diffuser gel to tape on the front one, 2 boom mic stands, my reflector (jammed in the side of the couch cushion for bounce), my Senn. 416, the Senn G3 lav. and of course the AF100 (Nikon 18-105mm) on a tripod. I used a Title banner as a backdrop.

These are just grabs right from the camera....no CC or anything yet.

Here's what it looked like

Had to be careful with the angle of the shots, if the person was framed too far off to the right, the banner would read "TIT BOX" (Title Boxing) behind them ... couldn't have that!
    I shot from different angles and had them answer question...and tell their story multiple times. I found with each take, they were more at ease with me & the camera.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast