1. Collapse Details
    Good DSLR video monopod for travel
    Hi I was looking online for a good video monopod and obviously this one looks perfect. I'll probably get it for my pro work.

http://www.learningdslrvideo.com/man...bhdv-1-review/

However It looks far to big to be carrying in a backpack and I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a good monopod that I could bring in a back pack on holidays. I'm going to Mongolia this summer and I would really love to have it for taking some nice shots while on holiday. I'm 6' 4" so quite tall which might make it difficult to get one big enough for me. Ideally it would be one with a fluid head. Any suggestions that don't break the bank?

2. Collapse Details
    The 561 is one of the handiest pieces of gear I've used and would definatley reccomend for pro work. Unfortunately it's a bit heavy and bulky and you'll probably hate traveling with it.
    If you're backpacking or traveling with a DSLR or light weight camcorder, I'd suggest getting a smaller consumer style monopod (such as this). They're not quite as solid but they're dirt cheap and easy to travel with.

3. Collapse Details
    you have to ask yourself whats important. does every ounce matter? or is usability king?

i have that manfrotto monopod rig and i love it. the little feet are an awesome feature (it can actually stand on its own in some cases) and having a head (even entry-level as this one) rather than just a camera mount is extraordinarily handy

4. Collapse Details
    I think I've found a solution. What do you guys think...

Velbon UP-400DX (UP4DXII) Monopod

Manfrotto 080 Monopod Belt Pouch

I decided through these two videos...

(from about 3:48)

(from about 1.55)

Overall not very expensive too :-)

5. Collapse Details
    you have to take youtube reviews with a grain of salt - ESPECIALLY with all the self-qualified, DSLR "experts"
    the guy in the bottom video clearly doesnt even know what "fluid" means...

it depends on what you want to do with it. if you just want something thats small and light or simply to hold your camera while youre standing still. about anything will be fine.
    if you want to support the camera smoothly with a degree of movement, i'll tell you this - buy once, buy well.

6. Collapse Details
    well I ordered the gear, I stated above. I'll let you guys know what I think of it when it arrives. :-)

7. Collapse Details
    Manfrotto is a part of the Vitec Group, and they have actually trademarked the phrase "true fluid head". So all that nonsense at the beginning of the first video is really outrageous crap. That video head is not a fluid head. It is a very poor friction head without even any incremental settings and certainly not fluid cartridges. So how can they call the cartridge at the base of the monopod "a true fluid head"? The answer is that they can't, but by using the phrase they give the impression that the whole system including the 701 head is using fluid cartridges. VERY deceptive and certainly they merit being taken to court on that one.

8. Collapse Details
    If you are looking for a really nice lightweight monopod for travel than this is the one I have and really like it. I use this more for photography than video but if just want some stability with great travel weight and size it's great. I have the 561B when I'm doing more serious work.

http://www.amazon.com/Sirui-P-326-6-...6446258&sr=1-1