Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Set construction time
    Bronze Member
    I don't know how many builders, if any, are on here; but what would be the average build time for the interior of a house on a sound stage? Looking at houses in the range of 2000 sq. ft. to 4000 sq. ft.

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    ins't that a bit too much space?

is that like a sitcom/daytime drama (open face/fourth wall/ 2D), or on a rotating platform. multilevel?

does that include the stage floor, or just the walls? any other interior constructions, stairs, any other mock-ups, fire place, doors, windows. how many partitions, rooms. are the walls for a contemporary house, or a classic or period peace or a western.

3. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    I need to rebuild the interior of two house minus a few rooms (doors in a hallway that don't work). Primarily I'm doing it because 1.) I can't find the exact location I want, and 2.) we're filming most of the film in NYC, and it would be a PITA to move to another location just for house interiors.

So I'm probably going to be building all 4 walls of every room.

Here's rough layouts of a few other locations I need to build:

Apartment set:
    http://www.diamondintheroughthemovie.com/apartment.png
    The master bedroom in this set would actually have another set inside of it. It's not necessary to actually film in that room, so I'm sticking another single room set in there.

Diner set:
    http://www.diamondintheroughthemovie.com/diner set.png
    Last edited by Andrew McCarrick; 04-30-2012 at 01:57 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Senior Member gonzo_entertainment's Avatar
    Lot of "It depends", do you have 4 or 5 experienced carpenters, painters, etc... or 2 guys who kind of know what they're doing?

To frame, hang drywall, trim, paint, the whole nine yards, anywhere from a few days to a month or more.

5. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo_entertainment View Post
    Lot of "It depends", do you have 4 or 5 experienced carpenters, painters, etc... or 2 guys who kind of know what they're doing?

To frame, hang drywall, trim, paint, the whole nine yards, anywhere from a few days to a month or more.
    I'll be hiring people that actually know what they're doing. Probably a crew of 5-8.

6. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    oh, i thought it was like a theater stage or sitcom set.

well, the diner looks like a regular diner, a bit bigger with booths on both sides. but are you willing to pay for all the booth, and counter accessories. and do you need the kitchen. how many scenes or minutes are you going to use the diner. and how much would it cost to strike a deal to rent a place (after hours if necessary). barring in mind that a diner usually has a glass side looking at a street, are you going to make an underground diner/restaurant.

if the walls and the floor are made at the same time and your buying counter/tables/booth accessories/kitchen accessories, 7-10 days should do it for the diner(no pluming or electricity).

what's the 'L' and 'C' in the apartment?

the apartment looked a bit weird, first time seeing 3 different hallways/corridors in one apartment. and the guest bedroom has a bathroom but not the master bedroom. usually bathrooms and kitchen are close together and on the same side of the building(helps in pluming and what not). master bedroom is in the middle of the apartment, usually every room has a window? and the bathrooms are odd shaped? there is a hallway that just have bathroom doors? is this a real apartment or did you make the design yourself?

7. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    oh 5-8 is big crew. if they just stand in the place(2000ft), it will be a bit crowded. they will be in their own way. all you want is a faux apartment right? the diner is just four walls, or do you want them to do the booth and counters and kitchen in the apartment?

8. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amr Rahmy View Post
    oh, i thought it was like a theater stage or sitcom set.

well, the diner looks like a regular diner, a bit bigger with booths on both sides. but are you willing to pay for all the booth, and counter accessories. and do you need the kitchen. how many scenes or minutes are you going to use the diner. and how much would it cost to strike a deal to rent a place (after hours if necessary). barring in mind that a diner usually has a glass side looking at a street, are you going to make an underground diner/restaurant.

if the walls and the floor are made at the same time and your buying counter/tables/booth accessories/kitchen accessories, 7-10 days should do it for the diner(no pluming or electricity).

what's the 'L' and 'C' in the apartment?

the apartment looked a bit weird, first time seeing 3 different hallways/corridors in one apartment. and the guest bedroom has a bathroom but not the master bedroom. usually bathrooms and kitchen are close together and on the same side of the building(helps in pluming and what not). master bedroom is in the middle of the apartment, usually every room has a window? and the bathrooms are odd shaped? there is a hallway that just have bathroom doors? is this a real apartment or did you make the design yourself?
    Yeah for the diner, kitchen isn't necessary, don't plan on building that, just in the diagram for reference.

I did do the layouts myself.

You make a good point about the apartment master bedroom, not having a window.

The bathroom at the end of the hallway is a dual access bathroom. There's one door in the hall way, and one in from the guest bedroom. The other bathroom is only accessible from the Master Bedroom.

WC= Walk-in Closet (accessible from the Master Bedroom)
    C = Closet (one in hallway, one for Guest Bedroom)
    L = Laundry (accessible from hallway)

And just to note there will be 5 or 6 sets we need to build.

The apartment, the diner, two houses, a police interegation room, and maybe another.

The police interegation room would be placed inside the Master Bedroom (since we don't actually need to film in the master bedroom, nor the master bedroom bathroom).

We're probably looking at a sound stage that's 15,000 sq. ft. total.
    Last edited by Andrew McCarrick; 04-30-2012 at 04:17 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    oh, i thought the walk-in closet was another bathroom(WC).

if you want to adjust the floor plan, i Google-ed apartment floor plan quickly.

http://apartments-in-prague.org/rent...floor-plan.jpg
    http://www.housing.uci.edu/cv/Images/floorplan_000.gif

just out of curiosity, what genre is that movie?

10. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Thanks for the link.

It's a Drama. You can read the synopsis here: http://www.area51entertainment.co/in...mondintherough

I'm working on launching an indiegogo campaign soon.

Currently looking at Madison Davenport, Maddie Hasson, and Daveigh Chase to star. Currently in talks with Maddie Hasson's manager.

Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Diamo...69935059780446
    Last edited by Andrew McCarrick; 04-30-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast