Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    15fps clip in 23.97fps sequence
    Working in Premiere Pro CS4. All my footage is 1920x1080 23.97 fps expect for one clip, a time lapse that was made with some app on an iPhone. The time lapse is 1280x720 15fps.

What can I do to get these to work best together?

I'm fine with upscaling the timelapse. It's the frame rate that I'm uncertain about. I tried using "Interpret Footage" and setting the clip to 23.97 fps. I don't fully understand what this is doing.

2. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    to simplify, lets imagine that the frame rates were 1:2 relation in fps.

do you want to?

1- have the time-lapse play at the regular speed as if it was on the ios app - have the program create extra frames to compensate for the fps difference.

2- have the time-lapse play 2x as fast(takes half the time on the timeline) - have the program drop the frames on the timeline without creating extra frames.

3. Collapse Details
    It is going to be difficult to make it work without a lot of compromise -- ghosting, choppiness. They are just not compatible frame rates.

If it's absolutely essential, to the exclusion of everything else, that this footage look its best, then I'd edit on a 60p timeline and export that way. The 24p will still look like 24p and the 15p should look right. But you won't be able to edit or export as 24p, so this isn't ideal.
    LEARN FILMMAKING -- DIGITAL DOWNLOADS OF GREAT PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Amr Rahmy View Post
    2- have the time-lapse play 2x as fast(takes half the time on the timeline) - have the program drop the frames on the timeline without creating extra frames.
    Totally fine with this. When I interpreted to 23.97 fps it did that.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jimerson View Post
    It is going to be difficult to make it work without a lot of compromise -- ghosting, choppiness. They are just not compatible frame rates.
    The timelapse is of some people working and shot at 10 second intervals, so it's choppy looking already. I went ahead and started working on my montage in a 23.97 sequence using the 15 fps clip interpreted as 23.97 fps. The ghosting is pretty bad, but I can live with it.

I guess another option is to go back to the phone and see if there are different export options. I wasn't the one who shot the time lapse.

5. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    edit: can you go step by step

1- make a 23.97 fps sequence
    2- drop the time-place in the time-line
    3- playback the footage to see what is happening
    4- change the time-lapse interpret setting as appropriate
    Last edited by Amr Rahmy; 05-01-2012 at 10:17 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    There's no ghosting in the original time lapse file. I can go through it frame by frame in Quicktime and everything is normal.

Tested a few settings. Here's what I found:

Adding timelapse to a 15fps sequence produces no ghosting.
    Adding timelapse to a 24fps sequence without interpreting the footage produces some ghosting.
    Interpreting timelapse to 24fps, then adding to the sequence produces a lot of ghosting.

7. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    edited the post

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks for all the replies!

I was able to go back to the person with the iPhone and get them to re-export it at 24fps.

There's no ghosting when playing back with Quicktime.
    Unfortunately there's still a little bit of ghosting in the sequence since it's now a 24fps in a 23.97 sequence (that's as accurate as the app would allow for during export).
    Interpreting the footage to 23.97 makes it much worse, so I'll settle for this small amount of ghosting.

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    you must have a blending option, or something checked for the interpret not to function properly. since the image does change duration.

10. Collapse Details
    Un check 'Frame Blending'
    www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast