1. Collapse Details
    Panasonic AGAF102 v Sony HXRNX5 or 7 which one to buy????
    I am about to buy a new camera I have been looking at the Panasonic AGAF102 v Sony HXRNX5 or 7 and I am would like to hear from someone who has used both. I have used the Panasonic and I like the low lite caperbility and the nice shallow depth of field you can get but I like how the Sony feels on the hand and it has a finger survo where the pana does not. Could someone please help???
    And
    I am excited about the new Black Magic?????
    Should I wait????
    Thank you
    John

2. Collapse Details
    Paddy2,

I don't have the exact combination of cameras you mentioned. But I recently got the AG-AF100 to replace my 5-year-old Sony V1U. The reason I got the AF100 was to get a lot of manual control (I guess that makes me a control freak). The Sony was very convenient for run-and-gun situations, but I found that my style of shooting was more of a careful set up of each shot, and the automatic features of the Sony often got it my way. (Back when I was a still photographer, I loved to use a view camera, and often used a tripod even when shooting with a 35mm SLR, so that should give you some indication of my shooting style.) Also, the AF100 would let me use the collection of Nikor lenses I had from when I was a still photographer.

So the question is: What type of shooting to you like to do? Careful adjustment of all the controls? Or rapid-fire capture of unpredictable events, hoping the automatic settings will be good enough?

BTW, you can get somewhat shallow DOF with that Sony, but you'll want to use ND filters, and have the zoom at a longer focal length.

Ken

3. Collapse Details
    While I haven't shot with the NX cameras, I've used a smattering of Sony's other HDV and XDCAM cameras, use to own a Sony Z1U, and own an AF100.

They are two different platforms for different applications. The AF100 and other large-chip, interchangeable lens cameras are stronger for interviews, narrative, and commercial (as stated before, where you have more time to compose your shot). Smaller-chip cameras with integrated lenses are stronger for quick shooting with unpredictable pacing and no chance for retakes, and limited budgets (lens prices add up fast). Each can overlap into the others' "domain," often with very good results from a capable operator.

The Blackmagic Camera is a very niche product almost exclusively for studio and narrative work with limited shooting durations and extensive support equipment. I'd only consider it after extensive and thorough research and consideration of how it would be used.

Whether or how long you should wait depends upon when you need to do the project and make back the purchase cost. A huge lead time on technology buys simply doesn't make sense in today's fluctuating camera marketplace.

4. Collapse Details
    I completely agree with mcbob. I own a Sony Z1 since some years now and I bought a AF100 recently. I intended first to sell my Z1 and keep only the AF100, but I soon discovered that, in many situations, typically "run and gun" it would be really hard to use the AF 100. Short DOF is nice... when you can take your time to focus... but when everything is moving quickly that's something else. I like large DOF, one-push-autofocus, servo zoom and (for me) better handheld ergonomics of my Z1 when I have to shoot quick action and moving subjects. But when I can take my time to choose the lens (I have 10 different DSLR lenses, primes and zooms), to measure lights and contrasts, to frame and focus, I really love to use my AF100.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by phde99 View Post
    I completely agree with mcbob. I own a Sony Z1 since some years now and I bought a AF100 recently. I intended first to sell my Z1 and keep only the AF100, but I soon discovered that, in many situations, typically "run and gun" it would be really hard to use the AF 100. Short DOF is nice... when you can take your time to focus... but when everything is moving quickly that's something else. I like large DOF, one-push-autofocus, servo zoom and (for me) better handheld ergonomics of my Z1 when I have to shoot quick action and moving subjects. But when I can take my time to choose the lens (I have 10 different DSLR lenses, primes and zooms), to measure lights and contrasts, to frame and focus, I really love to use my AF100.
    Thanks for your views I think I will have to do more homework. I will let you know the way I go
    John