Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    5DtoRGB settings for GH2
    Hey so I just returned from Panama City, Panama. Where I shot a short Doc on my GH2. Now Im working on the post production. I have found the settings that work for me but I just wanted to see what settings everyone else is using. I wrote up a blog post on the settings I use and posted them here.

http://www.crossbowfilms.net/blog/

I found very little help online about this subject and wanted to see if anyone agrees or disagrees with the way Im doing it. I will be editing on FCP7.

Prorez 422.

Decoding Matrix set to (ITU-R BT.709)

Luminance Range is set at (Full Range).

Chroma mode set at (Default).

Post processing set to (None).

Gamma Correction to (1.0)

Again I found very little online about settings or the GH2 and 5DtoRGB so thats why im posting this.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cbohlender View Post
    Prorez 422.

Decoding Matrix set to (ITU-R BT.709)

Luminance Range is set at (Full Range).

Chroma mode set at (Default).

Post processing set to (None).

Gamma Correction to (1.0)
    This all looks good, but I'd use broadcast luminance range instead of full range. The GH2 doesn't write any data below 16/above 235, so you should be fine using broadcast range. Full range will compress the luma/chroma range too much (you can observe this with a waveform or a histogram).
    Thomas Worth
    Rarevision
    Los Angeles, California
    http://rarevision.com

3. Collapse Details
    Filmmaker's Mod
    Agreed. I know I posted using Full Range a while back was what I did, but broadcast range and no gamma correction at all is a better base to grade from. It's just very contrasty at first sight.

I'll probably go back and correct that on my blog soon.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the info! I will change that ASAP!

5. Collapse Details
    Who's that cool looking dude in your blog post?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Worth View Post
    The GH2 doesn't write any data below 16/above 235, so you should be fine using broadcast range. Full range will compress the luma/chroma range too much (you can observe this with a waveform or a histogram).
    Is this really true? I transcode my GH2 footage using FCP Log & Transfer, and my blacks are at zero and my brightest whites are at 255. This is without applying any color correction. I observed this on the waveform, histogram, and also the Digital Color Meter utility on my Mac, which reads the pixels you mouse over with the cursor as an 8-bit RGB value. What's the anomaly? Are others getting GH2 footage that only goes from 16 to 235?

7. Collapse Details
    100% true, the gh2 writes to rec.709 complaint broadcast range h.264. blacks at 16 and whites at 235.

No anomalies, your log and transfer or fcp itself automatically expands these files to full range luma. The color meter utility on your mac is reading the raw RGB pixel data, after your media player has converted the file to 0-255 RGB for monitor output.

Drop a raw MTS in Scopebox or Scratch or something (sorry I don't have more suggestions, I'm not a Mac user), and you'll see pretty clearly it's broadcast range.
    (9:38:44 PM) ngubbet: ROYGBIV 4:4:4:4:4:4:4

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Worth View Post
    This all looks good, but I'd use broadcast luminance range instead of full range. The GH2 doesn't write any data below 16/above 235, so you should be fine using broadcast range. Full range will compress the luma/chroma range too much (you can observe this with a waveform or a histogram).
    Odd because a lot of people use full range for 5dtorgb for GH2.

Can someone tell me why when I use broadcast range I can't see a difference vs. Log and Transfer, but when I use full range, I get the extra latitude just like the samples on RareVision's site? I'm confused? Just bought the program and don't seem to get anything different when using Broadcast range on a GH2 so far.

9. Collapse Details
    Can someone explain the difference between the 601 and 709 decoding matrix? The description says 601 is for SD, and 709 is for HD. Using 709 doesn't look as good as 601 because it gives me banding/noise in the shadows. Perhaps by "HD" they mean it's for cameras that also aren't 4:2:0?

10. Collapse Details
    No, rec.709 is the wider gamut color space that is specified for all HD video. All HD camcorders and dslrs use this colorspace internally when taking the sensors rgb output and encoding it to YUV for recording. rec.601 is the 30 year old, small gamut SD colorspace that was used when broadcasting sd footage over the air forever ago. Taking your gorgeous, wide color gamut rec.709 native mts footage and using this program to comperes that colorspace down to the 30 year old small gamut 601 is a horrible horrible thing to do. As for the banding/shadows, I'd look elsewhere for a solution. Those artifacts are in your original footage, the down conversion to a smaller gamut effects the bit depth among a slew of other things and its process of removing information it's hiding the banding/artifacts

Refer to my post above in this thread Psynema, the gh2 records broadcast range. period. there is no information below 16 or above 235 to recover. I wish somebody would put that in a sticky.
    (9:38:44 PM) ngubbet: ROYGBIV 4:4:4:4:4:4:4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast