Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    formatting P2 cards on a mac
    considering that ive been using P2 for about 5 years now. its kind of embarrassing to have to ask this question. but the way i shoot, ive just never had the need before...

is there a snow leopard friendly mac utility to format P2 cards?

ive searched around and tried the panasonic site, but all i can gather from their "engrish" page is that the formatter software must be used with the P2 drive hardware...

help? in-camera cant be the ONLY option...

2. Collapse Details
    doesn't panasonics program "P2CMS" support formatting p2 cards? i don't know but that program could help you out... http://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/p2ui/guest/TopLogin.do
    cheers

3. Collapse Details
    I don't have a solution but I do have a question. Why? The only reason I know of to format the card is to use it in camera. As I typed I thought of a possible reason. Are you dumping footage during a continuous record?

4. Collapse Details
    Are you dumping footage during a continuous record?
    YEP! my work is usually tv spots, corporate or multi-camera events, so we fill a card, assistant hands the shooter a new card then offloads the full one. and then we reformat each card in camera. the 17 or so seconds to reformat in these cases isnt a big deal. production is stopped or there is always another camera rolling...

but i recently shot a one-camera situation where i wasnt told that id be continually rolling for nearly 4 hours. so i was hoping the assistant could simply stick a formatted card back in the second slot.

5. Collapse Details
    doesn't panasonics program "P2CMS" support formatting p2 cards?
    i'm not aware that p2cms has a format feature... i looked and didnt see anything. but that program is a UI clusterphoque, so maybe it does and i just didnt find it : (
    Last edited by wgzn; 04-30-2012 at 08:55 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    ShotPut Pro has an option to reformat cards.

7. Collapse Details
    And, if its a one time thing, you can download a demo of SPP. I love the program and would recommend it, but you've been happy without it for 5 yrs, so you probably don't need it. ;-)

8. Collapse Details
    at $100, if it works - then its a steal. kinda sad though, i already own their p2 log pro and cant format a damned card : (

9. Collapse Details
    Sounds to me like a "budget driven" shoot/s, by that i mean why can't you get enough cards to use during the shoot, or record to a medium that will take all your expected vision run.
    you could sack the assistant and use their pay to hire some cards, or use a Bigger P2 and have more slots in the camera.
    EG, Who goes hiking with one shoe on ?. or half filling the tank in a race car ?. no doubt this point of view will offend someone.

you only have to buy P2 cards once, and the new E series are not expensive,
    if your shooting TV, corporates, etc you may need to wack on some dollars to cover more cards for future shoots.

Cheers
    Tom4

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by wgzn View Post
    at $100, if it works - then its a steal. kinda sad though, i already own their p2 log pro and cant format a damned card : (
    wgzn, Panasonic have a P2 Format program. I used it to format my P2 cards. I have sold my HVX202 some time ago. Check out Panasonic's software drivers web site. If no luck send me a message and I will see if I still have a copy on disc somewhere.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast