Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Maybe your best bet is to buy a used FS100 from somebody already smitten with the FS concept who just *has* to have an FS700. The actual release of the FS700, when you can actually walk out of a shop with one, will dip the price of an FS100 lower if you can hang on until then.

OTOH, if one allows the cost of hiring a desired camera as part of your day rate, assuming you're making money with a camera, buy what you need now and start earning - my FS100 paid for its self in less than a year.
    Director/Editor - MDMA Ltd: Write, Shoot, Edit, Publish - Showreel, www.mdma.tv & Blog
    EX1 x2, C100 --> FCPX & now CS6

2. Collapse Details
    I have hard time understanding why people think you can compare these two cams. They are almost a total opposite. One cam can't really do what the other does. I love the concept behind the BMD camera, but it's not for everyone.

First of all, the camera alone consume 18w/h. This is HUGE! The internal battery can't be replaced and last a short amount of time. So you need an external power source. The FS100 for comparison, drain between 5 to 6 W/h.

So you need a rig to support the camera. It's not compact anymore. Now, if you want to put that rig on your shoulder, you will need an EVF. Not new, we are used to that... but the camera have all it,s external connectors on the LEFT side. So basicly, on your shoulder, you will have a bunch of cables in front of your eyes... hum...

The workflow is complicated. To shoot in RAW is not for everyone. Shooting prores will probably be the most used workflow by users. Prores is great for editing, but that's mean you will have to deal with huge data compared to AVCHD.

Another thing is the sensor. It's small, a bit smaller than micro four third. It's true, sensor size is not the end of the world, you can get great images with shallow DOF on this size of sensor, GH2 and AF100 users have proven it. BUT... these camcorders are shipped with a mount that allow the use of specificly made lenses to handle the wide angle end. BMD Camera use an EF mount. Weird choice. of course most of us have an already huge selection of canon glasses, since we all come from a DSLR background. So you might think that a native EF mount is a great choice. It is not. The widest lens you can get, the canon 10-22, will yeild a field of view of 23mm in 35mm equiv. Ok, still somewhat wide, but not much. And if you want a normal field of view, a fast prime for low light application, you will have to rely on a 24 1.4 (55mm equiv) since if you wanht to stick a cheap 50mm on it, you will be in the telephoto territory with a equivalent FOV of 115mm.

A 24mm lens is complex, huge, heavy and expensive.

Anyway. It,s a great concept, and I think it's a brave move from BMD and I hope it will shake the market. But as a practical choice, I think it is not. It's a niche market camera. The FS100 is a versatile camera. It's ok to buy a niche camera, if you understand perfectly your market, and you know you have some use for this specific, weird camera. If you are debating if this camera is right for you in comparison to a versatile camera, ready to shoot out of the box like the FS100, I think the BMD camera is not for you.

Sorry for my bad english skills...

3. Collapse Details
    Can I propose a third option to this? (please don't flame me

I am in the same boat. Been thinking about the FS100 a while and am considering the FS700. I pre-ordered the Black Magic but am looking for something a little more versatile and stealthy. I currently have a 5DMII and a ton of Canon glass.

What about waiting to see what Magic Lantern can do with the MIII?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick View Post

What about waiting to see what Magic Lantern can do with the MIII?
    What professional does that? Fine if you're an amateur and can afford to wait and wait and then be disappointed. The Mk3 has a shockingly average video image with a p1ss poor codec too. Anyone waiting for a C100 will likely be disappointed too.

But why choose the wrong type of camera to shoot video on? By the time you've rigged a DSLR to make it just about usable as a video camera you could've bought a FS100 + metabones adapter.

The more people weigh up the options the more they'll look at the two Sony cameras. Price to features they're pretty much blowing away the competition.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirv View Post
    What professional does that? Fine if you're an amateur and can afford to wait and wait and then be disappointed. The Mk3 has a shockingly average video image with a p1ss poor codec too. Anyone waiting for a C100 will likely be disappointed too.

But why choose the wrong type of camera to shoot video on? By the time you've rigged a DSLR to make it just about usable as a video camera you could've bought a FS100 + metabones adapter.

The more people weigh up the options the more they'll look at the two Sony cameras. Price to features they're pretty much blowing away the competition.
    Ummm... But don't you have to wait for the Black Magic camera, too? I think it's more of a question about what footage you feel more a kin to. I'm hesitant on the FS100 because I still haven't seen any footage come out of that camera that I love. Although, the new firmware is helping. The FS700 stuff looks great and I agree, that's probably the best bet if Sony keeps it around $8K. But this topic isn't about me... If the OP can wait, then I say see how much (and how available) the FS700 is before buying anything. And regarding Metabones, I've been emailing them for over a month to get on a list for an adapter and no response... I'd be hesitant to buy a Sony if you are planning on using Canon glass before you get an adapter...

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Johnston View Post
    Yep, But if you wait till next year, there's gonna be something even better coming out the year after that, so I'd wait for at least 2 years .
    Yep, But if you wait till the year after next year, there's gonna be something even better coming out the next year after that, so I'd wait for at least 3 years .

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks everyone.
    When the FS100 first came out, I wasn't totally sold either. At the time I didn't see the real benefit over a 5d or Gh2. However, after working professionaly now, I completely see the real value of this camera - Low light, SD card, slow motion, XLR audio, peaking, resolution, super 35mm, etc.

These are some of the videos that sell me on the image of this camera.

and the piece by Bloom with the Boxer is nice.

8. Collapse Details
    Another video which sold me on the indie potential of the FS100 was the following 'Saw' style short,
    winner of the 'T' category in the 'ABCs Of Death' competition.. WARNING - VERY GORY & GRUESOME !

Last edited by RedBlack999; 04-30-2012 at 03:37 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    I can't pin point it but i just don't like the colors from anything I saw yet. I feel like my FX100O has better color then the FS100.
    It is so frustrating because I am so ready to get this camera for anything ells it has.
    Anywhere I can download footage of this camera to play with it?

Edit

I think I found something I like.
    It is a bit over saturate but better the anything ells I saw.
    https://vimeo.com/34581697
    Last edited by Nostalgic; 04-30-2012 at 05:06 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Yeah the highlights can get really ugly. Hopefully the fs700 fixes that. I'm hopeful.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast