Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Optitek adapter with manual lenses?
    i got my optitek adapter a couple days ago and put a nikon g 24-70mm zoom on the camera to do tests and such with the new camera. everything works fine with this lens. i only just now put one of the zeiss lenses on and can't seem to get the iris to work. neither the prolock's iris ring nor the iris ring on the lens will do anything.

i'm going to try to contact Jacek at a decent hour for the west coast, but not sure how reachable he'll be on a weekend. in the meantime, any clues?

2. Collapse Details
    d'oh! false alarm. i didn't realize the iris position on the lens has to be stopped all the way down in order to engage the adapter's control.

3. Collapse Details
    I know others here are very happy with the adapter but I'd love to hear your impressions. I've been using the MTF for a while now and while Im happy with it there are a few things that constantly annoy me. BTW, how long did it take to arrive once you ordered it?
    http://www.billthomasphoto.com/
    Sony F5 / F3/ EX-1 / Nikon D800 / BMPCC / Atomos Samurai / Zeiss & Nikon lenses

4. Collapse Details
    What annoys you with the MTF?

5. Collapse Details
    I have the MTF but made the switch to Prolock last September. Its a bit harsh to compare the two because the Prolock is so much more expensive. If you shoot a lot of documentary stuff and need to adjust the iris all the time fluently, the Prolock is the better choice. It allows for real smooth precise Iris adjustment. The MTF has the tricky screw in the iris ring that constantly want to fall out and does not feel strong enough for constant iris adjustment. But for its money its a quality product. I still have the MTF if somebody is interested, let me know.

6. Collapse Details
    Just to clarify there are two distinct features that separate the ProLock from the other adapters
    1. Positive locking of non modified, stock Nikon F mounted lenses.
    As opposed to standard spring tension based F mount Optitek mount turns standard Nikon mounted lenses into "PL" style lenses.
    This feature eliminates any lens movement in relation to the camera.
    This is especially important when using follow focus, zooming , etc. Traditional (Nikon) F mount has inherent slop in it since it was designed for Still cameras and using controls while recording the image had not been in the (camera mount) designer's scope of work. Simply put traditional F mounts were not made for motion cameras.
    BTW same goes for Canon EF, M43, E mount etc.
    2. Adapter based Iris control . This is a traditional (legacy) iris ring that is part of the (prolock) adapter that allows for G- lens iris control. Not only it allows to set the iris but does it via standard iris ring with scale, gear (for motor hookup) and is placed in a very accessible manner. The scale on the ring is calibrated in F stops and is very easily and quickly adjustable to match the lens on the camera perfectly.
    BTW even for manual Nikon lenses equipped with the iris ring most users end up using the mount adapter iris control (you have a choice of iris control for manual lenses) because the mount iris ring is easier to access, stepless and quicker to use.
    Hope that helps...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by optitek; 04-30-2012 at 10:42 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Jacek,
    As yuou know I am an owner and user of course of the prolock.
    I was just curious what fotojourno was annoyed with on his MTF. i'm betting its slop in the connection and a loose iris control.

8. Collapse Details
    Post #5 & 6 pretty much sum it up for me in regards to the MTF. Dont get me wrong, the MTF has served me very well and Im quite happy with it. The ProLock while more expensive seems to address the issue's I've experienced regarding the lens shifting slightly in it's mount when follow focusing and give's you a visual reference as to what f-stop your at with G series lenses. With the MTF, when you decide on your aperture locking it in with the screw one handed while hand held shooting can easily lead to the aperture collar moving and changing your exposure. For studio or controlled environment or on sticks this is less of a problem.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenilenapi View Post
    Jacek,
    As yuou know I am an owner and user of course of the prolock.
    I was just curious what fotojourno was annoyed with on his MTF. i'm betting its slop in the connection and a loose iris control.
    I was writing my response before I saw yours but you nailed it.

10. Collapse Details
    As opposed to standard spring tension based F mount Optitek mount turns standard Nikon mounted lenses into "PL" style lenses.
    That is so true, if you change lenses often Prolock is the way to go. It is an absolute solid mount. no play whatsoever. as opposed to spring based mounts ( as the original Nikon )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast