Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Nvidia Video Cards and MacPros
    OK, Time to call in the big guns. I have a MacPro 5,1 with OS X 10.6.8, 26 GB Ram, ATI Radeon HD 5870 Graphics card. I want to upgrade the video card to speed up Premier Pro, After Effects....Several times I was about to buy the Nvidia Quadro 4000 for Mac then reading the reviews scared me off. Kernel panic, crashes, only one DVI port. My Radeon is rock stable, I prefer stability to speed. Is anyone using Nvidia cards (CUDA) with a MacPro and do you have these problems? Thanks

2. Collapse Details
    i was looking into this quite awhile ago and "macvidcards.com" sells all varieties.

the guy at this place "reflashes" pc versions to work on macpros. i was looking into a GTX285 which always seemed very solid when they were made for mac and most people on the Premiers forums said this was the best bet to get. of course its hard to find an authentic mac version these days so a reflashed one is what most people do.

now the negative...this guys that does this is not responsive at all. i posted several posts/questions on his website forum (that has almost no traffic and maybe he doesnt look at it much im thinking) and i got *ZERO* information back from him in the least so, i never ordered. i have a 4,1 macpro and an older 2,1 macpro. i was trying to find out if it would work on the older one since i wanted to outfit both but later i found out thru other internet research that the 1,1 macpro would not work.

if you can figure out exactly what your wanting to order from his site i gather that the guy is reputable from the research i did. just dont expect to get any info from him.

one package he was selling was a dual GPU setup with a flashed GTX285 plus the old GT120. this was the ultimatte Davinci Resolve setup on his site. the GT120 was just for the displays and the other dedicated for the app.

ill be curious to see what kind of luck you have. id still order if i could could get a pulse out of this guy.

david

EDIT: ok i just checked the forum on macvidcards.com and the guy did finally answer some stuff (4 months later haha). still i cant really clearly understand WTF he is talking about or at least im not really sure what to buy and the pitfalls of a few of the options.

maybe someone on here thats either smarter than me or has been down this path with getting reflashed card can inform us a bit.

thanks
    david
    Last edited by david_p; 04-27-2012 at 01:20 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Hi guys, i'm currently looking forward to build an "hackintosh - mac pro" there are several unofficial cards working on osx, just by installing kexts which are drivers or batches to enable those cards - get more information, how-to's and kexts on http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

You can specify your system on this page and check out which operating system supports which cards... hmmm was that correct spelled in english? ^^

regards

Stefan

4. Collapse Details
    thanks stefan, thanks for that link and ill be looking into it.

david

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks everyone. I could not image I was the only one with these questions. I will keep you updated on my search.
    Thanks again,
    Scott

6. Collapse Details
    I bought two GTX 470's from Macvideocards and they work fine. The issue is power connectors, you may not have enough if you want to keep your graphics card and ad an Nvidia card as well.

Here is a thread where I explain how to deal with all of these questions:
    http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/277/11710#11723

Here is an excerpt from that thread in which I responded to someone else:

Re: Configuring both a GTX470 and a Quadro in a MacPro 3,1
    by Clayton Burkhart on Nov 11, 2011 at 12:33:21 am

Ok there is a smart way to do this which allows you to cable internally without having to keep the door of your Mac Pro open:

If you look very carefully you will notice there is only one small place where you can pass your wires through from the drive bay to the lower portion of your computer. It is in the front upper corner just above the 1st hard drive bay. That is where you will pass the Molex wires through.

Next you need to determine if it is a conventional molex or an Sata adapter in your optical drive bay. I forget which generation Mac passed over to Sata. If it is Sata you will need this kind of adapter (ignore the French, you can find this in the US as well):

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=350384917315

You will then need a molex extension cable which you are going to cut off the male plug on. This can be a Y splitter cable if you need two power plugs (as on a GTX 285 or GTX 470) or only a single cable for something like the Quadro 4000.

You then pass the cables through the corner slot I spoke about and reattach a new male plug from a cheap kit like this:

http://www.aquatuning.us/product_info.php/language/en/info/p7334_Stromverso...

What I did actually was very carefully break the original male molex plug, keeping the wires intact on their little pins. I then just reslotted them into a replacement plug from this kit.

After you just need to connect a cable like the following to your extension cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-Pro-6-Pin-4-pin-Molex-Video-Card-Power-Cable-/2...

This cable can be found much cheaper elsewhere and if you are near a cheap reseller for gamers, he probably has a ton of extra cables like this which come with many video cards today.

I use the app "Hardware Monitor" to check temperature and power usage for my two cards, but honestly I have never seen my two internal GTX 470's go over 380 Watts combined when working in Davinci, FCP, AE etc. For gaming it might be an issue, but for our work there really is not an excessive load on the power supply.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by yoclay; 04-28-2012 at 11:30 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    The best graphic card experience in MacPro for hard work, is the MacVidCards offering the GTX 580
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nvidia-GTX-5...item35bbf54321

Has a lower GTX570 with 2.5GB or 1.3GB.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nvidia-GTX-5...item35bbd08f2c

I you work in 3D, use the Adobe Creative Suite, Davinci Resolve, this a way to go right now, till Apple upgrade the graphics card offers in the Mac Pro.
    www.cajitacreativa.com
    Sony a7/fs100 | Lumix GH4
    | Olympus OM-D E-M1

8. Collapse Details
    that GTX 580 looks inviting but i noticed in the specs that its rigged to work in Lion with no mention of SL. ive been holding off going to Lion because of a lot of plugs for many programs that i use. i know i probably need to bite the bullet and upgrade all of those plugs at some point.

thanks to those that have provided good information to this thread.

david

9. Collapse Details
    I had a 5870 in my 12 core MacPro running Lion from the start but later on decided to downgrade to a 5770 to make room for an additional quadro 4000 for cuda. Works perfectly fine. I got a 30" NEC and an old 23" ACD hooked up to the ati, the quadro is only for gpu power for resolve. For performance in resolve you will need two cards, one for the gui and one for speed. As I also use a blackmagic decklink for monitoring from premiere and resolve, the mercury engine in pp does not work as of cs 5.5. This should have changed whith cs6, but I had no time to try that yet.
    All in all, I am happy withe that setup.

cheers
    martin

10. Collapse Details
    For a long time I’ve been considering the Nvidia Quadro 4000 for Mac. The reviews I read were split, greatest thing since sliced bread to worst thing ever invented. Recently I had a Premier Pro project with several video tracks with several effects added. My MacPro usually is fine, although I might have to lower the resolution. This project really taxed my system. I can see more of these kind of projects on the horizon so I took the leap and purchased the Nvidia Quadro 4000 for Mac from B&H. I upgraded the Mac’s operating program to Mountain Lion, I read it has the drivers built in for the Quadro. I installed the Quadro next, could not have been easier. Started the computer downloaded the Cuda update from Nvidia so the Adobe programs can use the Quadro’s Cuda functions. Both monitors work great, all my programs work. Now Premier Pro will run everything I can throw at it, full resolution, always a green light. Same for After Effects, I cannot believe how fast it renders now. All my fears were put to rest. I had no problem with installing the new operating system, and no problems installing the new video card. I hope this helps if you are sitting on the fence like I was.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast