1. Collapse Details
    Keying with ultra-key
    I am about to shoot an interview using a chromakey green background. My client might want to use their (green)company logo to be keyed in as the background.
    My question is:
    If i pull the key - green channel- does this keep me from replacing the background with anything green?
    www.prudentmedia.tv
    C100; AG AC-160a; GH2
    Canon 24 - 105mm f. 4L;
    Canon 24 - 70mm f. 2.8;
    Rokinon Cine 85mm T 1.5
    Lumix 14 - 140; Lumix 12 - 35;
    Lumix 20mm;

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tazza View Post
    I am about to shoot an interview using a chromakey green background. My client might want to use their (green)company logo to be keyed in as the background.
    My question is:
    If i pull the key - green channel- does this keep me from replacing the background with anything green?

The 'key' operates on the layer that has the greenscreen. Hence, any other layer is not affected by the keying. However, in the greenscreen layer, if a person has something 'green', that may be a problem, and may require a garbage matte to 'cover' the green areas of any clothing. However, if the person moves, you may have to do a traveling matte to compensate.

I've only used the AE keying, Keylight, and there were a number of controls which allowed one to try to get the best key out of the screen.

3. Collapse Details
    My skills are limited to using he Ultra Key plug-in in Premiere. So if I'm understanding correctly each layer of video on the time line has it own RGB channels - so if I have to lay in a green colored logo, and it obviously needs to live in a different layer of video, I'm good to go.
    Thanks for the info.
    www.prudentmedia.tv
    C100; AG AC-160a; GH2
    Canon 24 - 105mm f. 4L;
    Canon 24 - 70mm f. 2.8;
    Rokinon Cine 85mm T 1.5
    Lumix 14 - 140; Lumix 12 - 35;
    Lumix 20mm;

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by tazza View Post
    My skills are limited to using he Ultra Key plug-in in Premiere. So if I'm understanding correctly each layer of video on the time line has it own RGB channels - so if I have to lay in a green colored logo, and it obviously needs to live in a different layer of video, I'm good to go.
    Thanks for the info.
    My assumption is that the Ultra-Key plug-in you are using in PP, works on individual clips, 'layers' is sort of perhaps the wrong term to use in PP, more of a AE term... but in any case, the plugin should only work on the clip you apply the plugin to, and not others in the sequence.

5. Collapse Details
    Short answer: This will not be a problem.

Longer answer: The Ultra plug in only affects the clip that you assign the effect to. Therefore, if your green logo is a separate clip on the timeline (a jpg, png, or psd) the ultra key plugin will have no affect on this clip.