Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    I am really hard pressed to think of what question the Cinezip answers when used in a manually operated mode as seen in that NAB footage. Unlike a standard slider (or a good stabilizer), which should provide a very smooth and controlled move, this will produce images that look roughly like handheld without the footsteps. However you are limited to a specific path and height.

Where I could see this being useful would be in an overhead situation like the point to point cable systems in use at the Extreme Games etc.; with a wide lens pointing down, this could be a good tool.

The two major things that separate this from the pro cable systems are remote pan and tilt and a stabilized platform. So again: limited use, and an effect that only approximates what it is trying to emulate.

As a point of comparison, a Merlin or Blackbird in the right hands can duplicate the look of the most expensive bodymount stabilizer with little to no compromise. It takes plenty of practice and talent to do so, but the hardware is capable. I'm sure someone will come up with some interesting shots with the CineZip but I think it's more of a wow factor than a clever design.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

2. Collapse Details
    Does anyone know how the Glidecam HD4000 compares to the Merlin and Blackbird?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12