1. Collapse Details
    Non-Panasonic lenses and adapters... help for understanding
    Hey,

New to the GH2 here. As far as I can gather, Micro 4/3 is a tough one to find at a local shop within 500 miles of me so driving in to "test drive" some lenses isn't within my range of options.

Instead, I am looking at the internet route and buying some slightly used non-panasonic lenses with 4/3 adapters but I have some concerns.

I am hoping this awesome community can help me out with those.

* Do any adapters fit more than 1 brand of lenses (EG: 1 adapter to fit cannon and pentax)?

* Does a Cannon adapter fit all cannon lenses or only Cannon lens models w-y?

* Is there any risk of damaging the camera with any of these adapters?

Thanks so much!

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gundar View Post
    * Do any adapters fit more than 1 brand of lenses (EG: 1 adapter to fit cannon and pentax)?
    No.

* Does a Cannon adapter fit all cannon lenses?
    No. You'll need separate FD and EF adapaters depending on which lens type you choose. FD is popular because of the ability to manually adjust the aperture.

* Is there any risk of damaging the camera with any of these adapters?
    This really depends on the user. Anything can damage your camera if used incorrectly. However, generally speaking, no, there isn't a risk. Buy quality adapters and be careful.

3. Collapse Details
    1) Each adapter fits a specific CAMERA mount. So, for example, Pentax lenses plus any 3rd-party lenses that use Pentax mount can all use the same adapter. But you can't use both Pentax and, say, Nikon.

2) Early FD Canon mounts are completely different from recent EF camera mounts. In addition, the more recent lenses (Canons and also Nikon G, Pentax DA, etc) do not have aperture rings, and in those cases you need to find adapters that can control their aperture.

3) The main problem with cheap adapters is just they tend to wobble (although some are fine). I have seen folk complain of fine metal flecks ending up on their sensor (cheap soft metal, perhaps?).

4. Collapse Details
    1) Yes. For example, a m4/3rds to Canon EOS adaptor will fit many Tamron, Sigma and Tokina lenses, as long as those lenses have an EOS mount.

2) No. You need to also look at the lens mount type, as well as the brand. For example, Pentax K mount adaptor will fit all K-mount lenses but will not fit Pentax screw mount lenses. Canon and Leica are other examples of manufacturers with multiple lens mount types.

3) There is nothing about lens mount adaptors that will make them predictably damage the camera. There is nothing about their design which will interfere the camera from operating as it would with a native lens. Using an adaptor also will not void your warranty. However, there are always rogue examples which can be attributed to poor manufacturing or defective products, so we cannot garauntee that your camera will not be damaged in any way by the use of an adaptor. One thing to keep in mind is that lenses designed for full frame cameras will tend to be a lot bigger and heavier than micro 4/3rds lenses, and as a result will often need to be supported by some kind of lens brace. Some longer lenses have a tripod plate built in, and a few adaptors have a tripod mount incorporated in their design - this is a good idea as it transfers the weight of the lens onto the solid metal adaptor rather than onto the lightwight camera body, minimising the chance of breakage.

When purchasing lenses and adaptors, consider having an individual adpator for each lens, rather than one that permanantly stays on the camera. You'll find you have much more felxibility and choice if you do this. After all, one of the big advantages of micro 4/3rds is the wide variety of lenses available, so there is not much sense in locking yourself into one mount.
    Wedding/surf videographer on the Gold Coast, Australia.

Canon 5dmkIII & 60D, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 150-500mm OS.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks so much.

I am really looking forward to the 4/3 system as far as lense changing goes.

What are your suggestions for adapters? I see lots of good things with Fotodiox... Is that a good brand in your opinion?

6. Collapse Details
    I picked up the cheapo 20 dollar photodiox m43 to nikon adapter, been using all my nikon glass perfectly fine. There's not a whole lot going on with these adapters, they really either work or they don't. (or the backfocus could be off, but I haven't heard of a single report of manufacturing that bad anywhere)
    (9:38:44 PM) ngubbet: ROYGBIV 4:4:4:4:4:4:4

7. Collapse Details
    +1 fohd. Thanks so much again!