Thread: SxS Cards

1. Collapse Details
    SxS Cards
    Hi, I was just wondering what format the files were on the cards? .MOV, .MXF, etc.

Native codec?

Thank you.

2. Collapse Details
    Files are a Mpeg2 format in a SONY wrapper, known as XDCAM. You can download the drivers on SONY's website and you can then edit in the native format so as to maximize quality.

If you want to mix in some 5d or 7d footage you can easily convert that footage over to the XDCAM format. When you take the time to get to know the system it is very robust and produces great results.

Alan

3. Collapse Details
    Can you drop XDCAM files straight into FCP or do you need to transcode?

4. Collapse Details
    Neither one! :-)

You can't use the MP4 files directly in FCP, but you don't have to transcode either. You use Sony's free utility software called "XDCAM Browser 2.0" to select the video files you want, and then choose the "Import for FCP" command. A copy of the MP4 file will be created at the HDD destination of your choosing. The copy will be rewrapped as an .MOV file instead of .MP4. This is NOT transcoding because the video file is exactly the same and there is no rendering involved. The utility software merely changes it from an MP4. to an .MOV and nothing destructive is done to the file.

A good analogy is that if you take a can of Coke and pour it into a glass, the Coke is the same, just the container has changed. There is also no need (or benefit) to transcoding to ProRes. XDCAM i superior to ProRes. I recommend that people keep the footage as native XDCAM all the way through post if the bulk of their footage is XDCAM. If someone decides to transcode to ProRes they are just taking that 12 oz. can of Coke and pouring it into a one gallon bucket. The Coke is the same, but the container sure got bigger! There's no benefit to that.

The XDCAM Browswer utility has many other functions for viewing, backing up, and organizing your original MP4 files, but the workflow for FCP is what I have described above. It is an elegant and very efficient workflow that has no rivals in the tapeless world.

http://www.vortexmedia.com/DVD1.html
    Last edited by Doug Jensen; 05-01-2012 at 06:14 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    It is an elegant and very efficient workflow that has no rivals in the tapeless world.
    While I have only shot in this format - I have edited from several different formats & the XDCAM is smaller, looks great, renders fast (when needed). You can offload cards quickly too since it is only coping & not transcoding.