Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Not official, but claiming 13 stops of DR on the FS 700?
    http://vimeo.com/40911166 its just audio (04:10)

If true, that is good news. So far most of the testers have been silent on the issue of DR.

2. Collapse Details
    Well, since it's not official let me say that my FS100, I haven't put it on a chart, but some other guys have, and we, they determined that it's probably at about 18 stops of dynamic range on here. now that is UN believable.

There. see how easy that was? I can talk S&%T out my a$$ too.
    Sony FS 700 / Sony FS100 (x2) / BMCC 2.5/

3. Collapse Details
    The sensor probably is over 13 stops, maybe even 14. Remember that the Nikon DSLR sensors are built by Sony and the D800 is over 14 stops of DR. But the problem is 8-bit encoding. It basically limits everything to 12-stops max. You can get more to 8-bits but it will start deteriorating the middle tones.

4. Collapse Details
    Dark Side of the Camera Postmaster's Avatar
    The preproduction model I had was maybe 11.5ish, max. 12, depending on the gamma curve- which isnīt too shabby ether.

Frank
    frankglencairn.wordpress.com
    http://twitter.com/FrankGlencairn

Real men edit their films in a hex editor.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by maarek View Post
    The sensor probably is over 13 stops, maybe even 14. Remember that the Nikon DSLR sensors are built by Sony and the D800 is over 14 stops of DR. But the problem is 8-bit encoding. It basically limits everything to 12-stops max. You can get more to 8-bits but it will start deteriorating the middle tones.
    So, once the 4k recorder comes, the F700 may be able to realize a higher DR than in its current state at 8 Bit 4:2:0? So that is why the DR of the BMC Camera loses a little bit of DR when going to 10 bit 4:2:2 compared to 12 bit RAW? Does color space also have an effect on DR (4:2:0 vs 4:2:2 vs 4:4:4) or just Bit depth?

6. Collapse Details
    Maybe they are thinking about the RAW/12 bit 4K stream?
    stylecreative.net - Designer/Video/Music bloke

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Johnston View Post
    Well, since it's not official let me say that my FS100, I haven't put it on a chart, but some other guys have, and we, they determined that it's probably at about 18 stops of dynamic range on here. now that is UN believable.

There. see how easy that was? I can talk S&%T out my a$$ too.
    Land that's why camera companies hand out cameras to these numpties as they're guaranteed to get exaggerated statements. It is rewarded by getting the next camera before everyone else. A positive feedback loop.

8. Collapse Details
    DR is not affected by colour sampling nor bit depth.

9. Collapse Details

Really? I always thought that increasing the bit depth, would enables the capture of more gray shades or color tones.
    Dynamic Range refers to the ability to express the full range of tonal variations from lightest light to darkest dark?
    Wouldn't that be affected by bit depth? Or is it just that there would be more 'banding' with lower bit rate but
    not more dynamic range?

10. Collapse Details
    Nope, DR is just the ratio between the biggest value and the smallest value. Bit depth is as you say the resolution between those values.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast