Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    If you could only have three lenses for the C300...
    Hey guys, first i'll admit that i've never used a camera with interchangeable lenses. So, i'm very new to this. However, everything i see from the C300 looks stellar. I don't care about the specs, i just think this camera, it's codec and workflow and clips i've seen all seem like exactly what i'd wish for. To give an idea, i do You Tube videos. Lots of green screen. Some vlog style videos, where a shallow DOF would be nice. We cover some events too, like Comic Con. Hoping to produce more cinematic looking content in the near future.

IF i splurge on the C300, i could probably swing just two or three lenses to start out...

Which lenses would you say are the "Must haves" for the C300? Maybe somewhat affordable, they don't have to be the very super best lenses ever.

Probably not an easy question, so thanks for any input!

2. Collapse Details
    Ef 16-35, 24-70, 70-200

3. Collapse Details
    For event / doco I'd say 17-55 F2.8 EFS IS, 24-105 F4 IS, 70-200 2.8 IS. 24-70 has no IS and 16-35 restricts you to wide in my opinion. I like to change lenses as little as possible so prefer a decent range. 17-55 gives you wide out to a usable mid tele. 24-105 is a great range if you don't need super wide. 70-200 is just lovely if you need to work on the long end and all three have IS.
    Last edited by jagstang; 04-24-2012 at 01:49 AM.
    See my blog at www.pauljoy.com

4. Collapse Details
    Duclos 11-16, Fujinon 19-90, Duclos 70-200.
    David W. Jones
    www.joneshdfilms.com

5. Collapse Details
    I am using the 24-105 for doc-work and it is great on the C300, because you can always compensate the relative slowness of the lens with higher ISO.
    It is also easier to focus than many 2.8 lenses.

For more cinematic looks I can recommend Samyang lenses (35/1.4 and 85/1.4). Both not stabilized, so you need a rig/shouldermount, but they look great, have a nice focus throw and look better than Canon glass for a smaller price.
    You can also use the Sigma 30/1.4 with great results on this cam.

If I had only 3:
    Canon 17-55IS or Tamron 17-50VR
    Canon 24-105
    Samyang 85

6. Collapse Details
    17-55, 70-200, 24 1.4

7. Collapse Details
    24mm L f1.4 II (a most amazing lens on crop cams and for stabilizer work)
    50mm L f1.2
    70-200mm L f2.8 IS II

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadN View Post
    Hey guys, first i'll admit that i've never used a camera with interchangeable lenses. So, i'm very new to this. However, everything i see from the C300 looks stellar. I don't care about the specs, i just think this camera, it's codec and workflow and clips i've seen all seem like exactly what i'd wish for. To give an idea, i do You Tube videos. Lots of green screen. Some vlog style videos, where a shallow DOF would be nice. We cover some events too, like Comic Con. Hoping to produce more cinematic looking content in the near future.

IF i splurge on the C300, i could probably swing just two or three lenses to start out...

Which lenses would you say are the "Must haves" for the C300? Maybe somewhat affordable, they don't have to be the very super best lenses ever.

Probably not an easy question, so thanks for any input!
    Assuming your getting the canon mount the 17-40 is parfocal and so is the 70-200. Throw in a fast 50 and supplement as you go.
    FOR SALE - Sennheiser Evolution G2 Wireless

My Videos On Vimeo
    http://www.vimeo.com/eriknaso
    Twitter: ErikNaso
    Blog www.eriknaso.com
    Cams: C100, C300, GH4, A7s & anything else I can get my hands on.
    Lenses: More than my wife knows. ssshhh....

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by c3hammer View Post
    24mm L f1.4 II (a most amazing lens on crop cams and for stabilizer work)
    50mm L f1.2
    70-200mm L f2.8 IS II
    very nice list.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Naso View Post
    Assuming your getting the canon mount the 17-40 is parfocal and so is the 70-200. Throw in a fast 50 and supplement as you go.
    That's great advice, and I didn't know that the 17-40 is parfocal.

My first 3 lenses were the 24L, 50L, 85L. Nice set for narrative & lowlight, but my next two lenses were the 16-35L & 24-105L IS - and of all of those, I use the 24-105L IS the most. It's an incredibly versatile lens on the C300. My next lens will likely be a 70-200L IS, but I'm not in a huge hurry for it. So far this kit has suited my purposes extremely well. I went with all L series so that I would have the option for full-frame if/when I pick up a 5dIII.

edit: personally, I'm really not a fan of the 24-70L lens. Can't put my finger on exactly why, but I just don't like find it nice to use.
    Cinematographer | Camera Op | Occasional Director
    IATSE Local 600

Twitter: @BrianCWeed

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast