Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    We asked why they just don't check the security tapes and see who took it, and what I was told is that the contract that is in place prevents there being any manner of surveillance system used inside the convention center... =:O
    Screw that.

I'd go over to the GoPro Booth, buy 4 cameras, mount them up HIGH in the scaffold above my booth, and set them to roll right before we left.

I hate thieves.
    Matt Gottshalk - Dp/Editor
    McGee Digital Media

EPIC-X #00740 "Decker"
    Duclos 11-16mm
    RPZ 17-50mm
    Red 50-150mm
    Canon C100 and Ninja Blade recorder
    Nikon D800

2. Collapse Details
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgeedigital View Post

I'd go over to the GoPro Booth, buy 4 cameras, mount them up HIGH in the scaffold above my booth, and set them to roll right before we left.

You could show those tapes to every convention center employee and no one would know who it was. Guaranteed.

3. Collapse Details
    I have to say, when it comes to the logistics of load in and load out, the Freeman people have it down to a science. I'm glad they handle it and don't let it be a free for all like they do at Cinegear (which is a nightmare, and that show wouldn't even fill the south hall of NAB. Watching them is like watching forklift ballet, and I appreciate the difficult jobs they do. I'm not saying it was or wasn't a person that works for Freeman that took the gear because I don't know. This is just the first time we've seen this much gear stolen from two different audio manufacturers as the same show. If I run video surveillance in our own booth, I'll use small hidden cameras. And, I'll use Doc's protection services..but I gotta warn ya. That would be one BORING job. I've done security for stuff like that, and it's mind numbing.
    David Fisk
    Sales Manager
    K-Tek/M. Klemme Technology Corp.
    dave@ktekbooms.com

4. Collapse Details
    Feedback Score
    But I get to stand around and look intimidating. My favorite role. Plus allow me to beat one or two people throughout the day.......I am a happy camper.

I can draw on my suppressed frustrations from NAMM for motivation. God help them.

5. Collapse Details
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Bernard View Post
    But I get to stand around and look intimidating. My favorite role. Plus allow me to beat one or two people throughout the day.......I am a happy camper.

I can draw on my suppressed frustrations from NAMM for motivation. God help them.
    Unless you're a 'made guy', well, beating up on people willy nilly is a reserved privilege, in Las Vegas. Now if you can arrange to join the strip bar bouncer's union, and just happen to arrange for an intended victim to not be so nice in the bar...

6. Collapse Details
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I hear ya. But there are things I don't talk about.

Vegas.....I got covered. And here you thought I was just a film guy that did weapons and audio. I make connections in this industry as a producer too. I know Vegas.

Heck, if you have the budget, I could arrange a military invasion of the next NAB. We are talking martial law here. Actually sounds like fun.
    Last edited by Doc Bernard; 04-24-2012 at 10:38 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by davefisk View Post
    If I run video surveillance in our own booth, I'll use small hidden cameras.
    They'd just steal those too...

8. Collapse Details
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoclay View Post
    Someone would probably steal the video surveillance system as well.
    I worked at RadioShack for 10yrs. And we use to always get security cameras stolen! Until I just got tired of the theft do I had empty boxes on the floor!

Go figure... Shoplifters aware protective of the stuff they steal!!!

9. Collapse Details
    Feedback Score
    We packed-out as much as we could carry each night from our booth, but, even empty, the average NAB booth is loaded with thousands of dollars of gear that is bolted to truss or suspended. Without breaking your booth down completely, there is no easy way to get it all secured.

Having been a stagehand in a very large city, I can tell you that those convention centers are big black holes where security is very, very lax. There are hundreds of people working in the building at any given time and nobody really needs credentials to move around. In my years at Moscone, I was never shaken-down by security and the IA people (like the Teamsters, decorators, security, services, utility staffers and vendors) moved throughout the entire convention floor and backstage areas with total impunity at all hours. The only pass you needed was to look like you were where you were supposed to be, doing what you were supposed to be doing. And, in a tradeshow, that often means moving pallets or road cases full of million-dollar gear. You could be boosting it, or you could just be pushing empties to dead-storage. The low-pay security staffers weren't about to cross everyone they saw moving equipment around - much less a guy with a spider-web tat on his elbow.

I recall that a few vehicles were driven right out of Moscone during one car show in the late 90s. Most attendees and exhibitors would not suspect that they could have complete access to the exhibits floor and any meeting room that they might want to, but the truth is that they could easily crash most conventions in major US cities without paying a dime. To walk out the door with gear is just another (slightly bolder) move available to anyone daring enough to try it. It ain't robbing a bank.

I hope that Lectro and Zax get their gear back or have some method of being reimbursed through insurance. What a hassle.
    Erik Olson

10. Collapse Details
    Feedback Score
    "They take down all their gear and lock it in Pelican cases that are underneath their covered tables. Whoever stole it just grabbed the cases and walked out with them."

Steel cable through all the handles, wrapped around the table legs and a large padlock might have slowed that one down a bit. But if they really want it , they will get it.
    The first faith based silent film in over 80 years
    www.goodbookmovie.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123