Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    24fps panning/fast moving
    I have a 5d mark ii and I'm just getting into shooting at 24fps. My questions is how the hell do you pan without the video being so stuttering/choppy. I've tried to play around with the setup setting shutter speed at 30 and 500 both isn't much of a difference...still choppy! I've seen some videos with people panning much much faster then me and still be able to get it smoother then me. What else can I try? Any suggest is appreciated thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    Adding motion blur in post could work... Setting the speed higher could actually cause more of that "stutter/choppy" look, as the frames would be sharper .
    I find panning with a wide shot works very well to reduce that choppy effect.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mikster View Post
    I have a 5d mark ii and I'm just getting into shooting at 24fps. My questions is how the hell do you pan without the video being so stuttering/choppy. I've tried to play around with the setup setting shutter speed at 30 and 500 both isn't much of a difference...still choppy! I've seen some videos with people panning much much faster then me and still be able to get it smoother then me. What else can I try? Any suggest is appreciated thanks.
    The recommended panning speed, or object speed on a static shot, is 5 seconds to cross the entire width of the frame... any faster and 'stuff happens'.

Increasing the shutter speed will actually 'enhance' the strobing effect...

And that's just for real(tm) film... for DSLR's the problem is also exacerbated by the fact that the regions of the sensor are not read out 'instantly', and so there are artifacts due to that cause. There are some programs or NLE plugins, I've read here and there that do some form of mitigation, but that is one of the problems with the DSLR's these days.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mikster View Post
    I'm confused by the fact that both 1/30th and 1/500th of a second look similar -- the difference should be striking, with the first using much motion blur to mask the strobe effect, the second dramatically revealing the time differential between frames ... at 24Fps and 1/500 of a second, there is a terrific amount of movement/motion/action that occurs between frames, with 1/30 of a second there is almost no time between frames ...

If the two look similar, I wonder at whether you're actually describing an effect not related to framerate at all ..?

Cheers,
    GB

5. Collapse Details
    Cinematography/Lighting Mod Ryan Patrick O'Hara's Avatar
    This is an issue on every camera, even film cameras.

If you consult the American Cinematographer's handbook, you will find a chart of safe pan speeds.

In the 9th Edition, the charts for 35mm film can be found on pages 815-817.

Focal length of lens and frame rate of camera, will change the speed (degree's pan per second) depending.

As an example, if shooting 35mm film, on a 50mm lens shooting 24fps, a smooth, non-jittery 90* pan will take 23 seconds. That is the recommended speed for a completely jitter free pan.

Look into it, it's very informative.

If cinematography wasn't infinite, I'm sure I would have found the end by now.

6. Collapse Details
    Senior Member gonzo_entertainment's Avatar
    I understand how much it sucks. I certainly have been in situations where a whip pan was really what I needed to do, but it just doesn't work well, especially on digital. Adding a fair bit of motion blur in post seems to work best. The ASC standards were developed from experience, not arbitrarily.

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks for all the great replies. I'm gonna try out the motion blur in post to see if that really does help. I'm normally on the glidecam turn left and right all the time therefore trying to pan real real slow is pretty hard to do. I guess i'll just practice more. Does shooting at 24fps make the footage look a bit sharper? I didn't know setting the shutter speed slower actually helps with the stuttering...logically I was thinking faster shutter smoother image....I guess I had it all wrong there.

8. Collapse Details
    A trick to use is to have something move through the shot, and you follow that think - be it a person, or a car or whatever. Then you don't notice the 24p artifacts. 24fps is the reason they have everything on tracks in big Hollywood movies. It's really hard to deal with.

Food for thought:
    Work Examples - Vimeo - Fun Video - My Music
    Sony EX1(Pair) :: FCStudio3 :: MacPro 8 Core :: Senn G3 Wireless
    Rode NT1, NTG-2, NTG-3, NT3(Pair), NT4, M-Audio Sputnik, AT4033a(Pair), AT4053b Hyper

9. Collapse Details
    OK, we will NOT start another frame rate debate. It's been done to death, many times -- there's nothing left to be said. Thanks.
    LEARN FILMMAKING -- DIGITAL DOWNLOADS OF GREAT PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE

10. Collapse Details
    I don't debate. There's just useful info in the video to help one decide how much extra they want to work to make 24p work.
    Work Examples - Vimeo - Fun Video - My Music
    Sony EX1(Pair) :: FCStudio3 :: MacPro 8 Core :: Senn G3 Wireless
    Rode NT1, NTG-2, NTG-3, NT3(Pair), NT4, M-Audio Sputnik, AT4033a(Pair), AT4053b Hyper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast