View Poll Results: Will you buy the 1D C if it is priced at 10k USD?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 12.35%
  • No

71 87.65%

Thread: 1D C Pricing

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yoclay View Post
    Chuck Westfall pretty much says that the 1DC is not much better than the Mark III when shot at 1080p in his video with Dan Chung.
    Well, granted we have higher res sensor (5DIII) and aliasing/moiré under control in both models, I guess 5DIII might even be sharper, shouldn't it be? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by yoclay View Post
    So basically you get 3 things: 1080/60p, 8 bit 422 on clean HDMI out only (meaning you need an external recorder - which defeats the purpose of the small form factor) and 4k (at 24p only) for an extra $12000. Sound worth it ?
    Not to me.
    Not to anyone else, unless there are other interests to not post about ;-)
    RED ONE @home
    Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
    RED ZOOM LENSES
    RED 300mm LENS
    Who am I?

* LINK *
    ** IMDb **

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Birch View Post
    As far as I know, that has not been determined.... The only comment I have heard about the 1080p mode was when it was intercut with the 4K footage.... That is gonna be noticable.

But, if you have, say, a web video to do (or 720p) then it is a great addition to have. For Scarlet, you'd have to shoot in 4K/RAW and downscale.. Not a plus point
    Jay, I think you guess I like your posts either on dvxuser or reduser : ) And it is true the first part of your post. But as I already could say to you before, let's not to confound camera companies. Canon had part of their 1D/C's R&D previously paid spread along their DSLR line.
    RED ONE @home
    Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
    RED ZOOM LENSES
    RED 300mm LENS
    Who am I?

* LINK *
    ** IMDb **

3. Collapse Details
    Kudos to the people supporting this product.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dcloud View Post
    Kudos to the people supporting this product.
    Jay and me, we're both supporting the product, yes. Both see the product as unique indeed. Funny the fact both of us even use the same adjective to call it, earlier and today. Even though, as you see, we don't share necessarily the same POV on the facts.

1D/C is unfairly overpriced. It is a steal, no doubts. But not exactly in the same use the word is meant to be written through the forums. I guess Jay has no connection with Canon unless as customer, well, not only guess but am convinced of that. He just comes from reduser where everything is priced differently. In any case, as posted, we should remind ourselves Jannard/Jarred are building a company from scratch. Canon is only taking advantage from RED price list.
    RED ONE @home
    Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
    RED ZOOM LENSES
    RED 300mm LENS
    Who am I?

* LINK *
    ** IMDb **

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Graemsay View Post
    In terms of the shortcomings, if people who shoot video and film for a living are OK with 8 bit, then I can live with it. A higher bit depth means more compression to hit a given bit rate, and more artefacts, which include as banding. The Canon outputs at 500 Mb/sec, versus 440 Mb/sec on the Scarlet, so despite the lack of RAW I wouldn't be surprised if it generates better results.
    Have you seen Jpeg vs Jpeg 2000 tests? I'll give you a hint, one of them wins by a mile...

Edit: Also, the Canon is saving an RGB file, so that's 4k x 3 compared with RAW which only has to save one value per pixel.
    Last edited by Gabrobot; 04-23-2012 at 12:21 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrobot View Post
    Have you seen Jpeg vs Jpeg 2000 tests? I'll give you a hint, one of them wins by a mile...

Edit: Also, the Canon is saving an RGB file, so that's 4k x 3 compared with RAW which only has to save one value per pixel.
    Indeed. But according to the reports, it is 100% free of visible artifacts on big screen, sharp enough on 4K side, so anything enough to be considered as... enough to be considered to ;-)
    RED ONE @home
    Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
    RED ZOOM LENSES
    RED 300mm LENS
    Who am I?

* LINK *
    ** IMDb **

7. Collapse Details
    Emanuel how do you see this compared to the c300

8. Collapse Details
    I can't help but conclude that the 1DC is the 1DX with a different/added set of low-level drivers - even at $10,000 it seems over-priced. I think $8000 sounds reasonable.

9. Collapse Details
    The kind of project that I am planning, the 1D C would be suitable. 15K USD is a lot for me. If it is brought down to 10-11K USD, then I am definitely in. Some say that the price may come down to 12k levels but not 10. What bothers me more is that this camera will chew up cards like an elephant gobbling up bananas. So 4K acquisition is not for everybody, even if you just want to future proof your work. A Lexar 128GB professional 1000x UDMA card is 799.95 USD and is out of stock in B&H. So the overall cost of memory cards for a wildlife guy like me has to also go into the buying decision.

I guess Canon knowingly priced it at 15k USD, else a few guys would have bought it out of lust and gone bankrupt buying memory cards, upgrading their editing systems... However, if you are shooting on the sets, then definitely you can download and can do with less cards.

Jokes apart, I saw Shane Hurlbuts blog and he has said that he was using a hand assembled camera where the high ISO was limited to 1250 or so and he was not able to go beyond f2 or something. So very shallow depth of field in low light had contributed to the apparent difference in quality between the 1080p. He has also said that he was thinking that since it was a dream sequence, people won't mind. However, we should accept that there may be a big difference in quality between the two. Hope to see a sample from a post production camera. The problem is unless you see it in the big screen in a 4k projector, one won't know how good it is.

In the BTS footage of Ticket, the way the 1DC is handed by Shane Hurlbut to his assistant in the ramp, I feel that is huge. Else you would need a crane or something to film from the first floor to the ground floor level. I think this camera is a no brainer for large production houses to buy/rent. I am sure Canon will do the necessary tweaking of firmware to add features and this camera is going to work well.

In this forum, there were initially lot of people who disliked the price of C300 and now we see a big and ever growing owner base of that camera. I feel it will be a similar case with the 1D C.

10. Collapse Details
    The massive plus point , to me, is the DSLR body.

When I shoot with the HVX or, on occasion, a Scarlet/Epic... I get hassled by the general public, this is distracting and can affect the shot I am after (especially nature stuff). A DSLR rarely brings this problem.

I imagine this is way down the list for most people.... But as I have pointed out before... Not everyone on this forum is doing narrative or even broadcast. Image acquisition serves many industries these days.

Of course, stealth shooting will be a huge plus point to most here too.
    stylecreative.net - Designer/Video/Music bloke

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast