1. Collapse Details
    Matching Panasonic HVX 200a with Canon 5d Mark III
    I'm going to be shooting a wedding with 2 5D mark IIIs, but I will also be using an HVX 200a as the main camera for the ceremony.

Does anyone have recommendations for what scene file settings I should use on the HVX to be able to match the footage?

2. Collapse Details
    i would recommend to use cinelike-D and Technicolor Cinestyle if you have good light conditions on the whole wedding, for low light i would use b-press (less noise on the hvx) and neutral, or even the standard file on the 5D...

3. Collapse Details
    Sorry Stefan,

but i think what you suggest is wrong. In any case - dark or bright scenario, makes sense to capture as much information as possible then grade it. B-press gamma on hvx does nothing except compresses blacks and in dark scenarions this is the worst thing you can do. Instead, use cinelike d, which captures biggest dynamic range, do not compress black as not having any info in the shadows will not let you grade anything properly. Noise can always be cleaned up to some level, but image information - cannot be recovered if it's not there.

So i would suggest shoot both camera and as much neutral settings capturing as much info as you can , at night - especially in dark areas and then grade it in post. It is impossible to exactly tell what settings to use, you would have to work a lot to match those cameras in post production.

Regards,
    Tomas
    Freelance steadicam camera operator
    www.tomasriuka.lt
    vimeo channel

4. Collapse Details
    Hello tomas,

i agree with you in terms of dynamic range, the more information the better... but i simply hate the noise you get from cine-d in low light, could be pretty difficult to match the "non noise" 5d with a noisy cine-d picture of an hvx, you will see the difference in quality afterwards...

regards