Thread: Wedding DVD?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CapVideo View Post
    Who watches DVDs any more? Aren't we passed that?

Skip the cost of manufacturing and distributing DVDs. Send them a digital file via Mediafire or something similar. Emphasize that digital file delivery is FAST. You'll be the only person in your area offering it and therefore can charge a higher rate. And you'll save yourself time.

Or (I'm assuming you shoot in HD) make Blu-Ray discs. Offer them as a premium to your clients.
    Yeah that sounds good. I guess I could just upload the whole wedding up onto youtube and be done with it lol :-)
    I do offer blu-ray as well so that's fine. The digital file is definitely something I can offer and taky's idea for flash is brilliant I never thought of that cheers :-D I only saw one local competitor offer the digital option and they were doing it physically, providing a media player which is a waste of money imho.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Taky View Post
    That's true! But the generalization goes both ways. You have no problem playing DL disc on your 1988 Sony DVD player. That doesn't mean everybody else will not have problem with DVD DL discs.
    Some will. But the point is, it's not a general problem. A DL DVD is going to be fine for almost every client. If someone has a problem, then find a way to fix it, but warning someone away from DL as a general matter isn't warranted.
    LEARN FILMMAKING -- DIGITAL DOWNLOADS OF GREAT PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE

3. Collapse Details
    I'm just sharing my own experience in a public forum (as DVXuser is). I don't know why sharing or warning fellow members here a potential issue is not warranted.

To me, DVD DL compatibility is still a valid concern. Like I said, it will be a non-issue as time goes. It's up to the content owner to decide using DVD DL or other delivery method. For me, I rather delivery something that has less potential issue.

4. Collapse Details
    I'm just sharing my own experience in a public forum (as DVXuser is). I don't know why sharing or warning fellow members here a potential issue is not warranted.

To me, DVD DL compatibility is still a valid concern. Like I said, it will be a non-issue as time goes. It's up to the content owner to decide using DVD DL or other delivery method. For me, I rather delivery something that has less potential issue.
    Agreed, and I believe sharing is still a valid concern (not spreading FUD). Wedding videos in particular are a very emotionally-charged topic-- if the DVD doesn't work for grandma, then it's "The Revenge of Bridezilla!"

And Taky's earlier point about how the layer switch point is added for DL discs is very valid as well because different authoring tools do this differently (some causing more glitches than others).

If maximum compatibility is the goal, then single layer is still the ideal option for burned discs. However, if discs are being pressed, then DL discs are definitely the better option.

5. Collapse Details
    Taky,
    Does the Epson printer you have on this link http://lacoloronline.com/blog/?10199...uction-at-Home , does it come with the DVD or Disc maker?
    Philip Bloom Certified Cinematographer

6. Collapse Details
    Yes, that's the one I am using. Epson artisan 730. It comes with the PrintCD software. I use photoshop to do all my design. Just use printcd to print only.

7. Collapse Details
    Yes, that's the one I am using. Epson artisan 730. It comes with the PrintCD software. I use photoshop to do all my design. Just use printcd to print only.
    Awesome! Thank you. What settings do you use to print to the DVD's, Matte paper? Plain Paper? Inkjet?

8. Collapse Details

The chances are extremely small that there will be a problem. Warning away from DL in general IS unwarranted. Sure, there's a 0.01% chance of a problem. If so, deal with it then. Don't base your entire operation around that very, very, very slim chance.
    LEARN FILMMAKING -- DIGITAL DOWNLOADS OF GREAT PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJITSU View Post
    Awesome! Thank you. What settings do you use to print to the DVD's, Matte paper? Plain Paper? Inkjet?
    I select printing on premium surface DVD. DVD cover insert is printed on costco paper. You can check my blog post, I have photoshop templates you can download.

10. Collapse Details
    I just had an extremely awesome conversation with Taky. He really knows his wedding stuff. We talked for about an hour and he had so many ideas and advice on this subject. I can't thank him enough. Most people will not like to talk about their business and give out advice but Taky did, I am ever so greatful and hope that I can also follow his footsteps in becoming successful in Wedding Videography..or I should say..very successful. I have done quite great this year and when I heard his marketing strategies, I was amazed at what I could have been doing as well. Thank you Taky, I will remain to be a fan of your work and of your sharing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123