Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    A note about saying your filming a doc, not a feature is good advice. I always take it one step further depending who's asking and tell them I'm filming a tourism video for a foreign audience. Of course most of the countries I go to have Zero tourism so it's rare I get to use that.
    http://www.billthomasphoto.com/
    Sony F5 / F3/ EX-1 / Nikon D800 / BMPCC / Atomos Samurai / Zeiss & Nikon lenses

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwjace View Post
    Any thoughts on stay safe and protected while doing run and gun b roll of local public parks building ect?
    You should be fine in a smaller city like Puebla. Keep your driver and fixer close so they can run interference if needed.
    If you're driving down from Mexico City, you'll see some mountains and beautiful scenery on the trip. Hope you have time to pull over, unpack a little and shoot some of it.

J.Cummings-Lighting Cameraman
    www.cameralogictv.com

3. Collapse Details
    If shooting on the street, keep a real small footprint.
    don't overdress the F3 with all sorts of 35mm stuff. then it will look like a small camcorder. use a small tripod or none. use long lenses.
    and don't stay in one place for long. look relaxed as if you have no worry in the world.
    A lot of people don't wanna rock the boat if its not neccesary.

4. Collapse Details
    Yes, Mexico is a carnet country but there are some different rules related to carnets to Mexico. Good luck! There is a Carnet HelpLine in case you have questions: 800-ATA-2900.

5. Collapse Details
    I use this company for Carnets, you can do it online, once you register. They offer 24hr turnaround.

http://www.atacarnet.com/what-carnet...FQrf4Aod3io6pQ

6. Collapse Details
    Don't trust anyone more than you have to. Try not to make eye contact with people unless your talking to them. Especially women, Mexican guys HATE American guys going down there and checking out or hanging out with what they seem to think are their possesions. Mexico and Brazil are about as dangerous as it gets without being at war. I wouldn't be suprised if they were considered the murder capitol of the world (per capita). Also it's not unusual depending on where you go to see dead bodies dropped off at public squares or popular places. Theres a HUGE drug war going on as we speak, and each side tries to out do the other. And it's daily, as in Everyday there's bodies found. In fact about two or three days ago, a truck dumped 49 mutilated bodies on the highway. Most headless, and armless. Again products of the drug war. Thats why the majority of people that go there rarely leave the resort their staying at. There's also lots of kidnapping that goes on for ransom. Lots of it gets hidden away, or the media hardly reports on it because their afraid of losing the tourism, But I can tell you from experience, it's not a safe place so try to always stay with a group, safety in numbers. Good luck, stay safe.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by maranfilms View Post
    Don't trust anyone more than you have to. Try not to make eye contact with people unless your talking to them. Especially women, Mexican guys HATE American guys going down there and checking out or hanging out with what they seem to think are their possesions. Mexico and Brazil are about as dangerous as it gets without being at war. I wouldn't be suprised if they were considered the murder capitol of the world (per capita). Also it's not unusual depending on where you go to see dead bodies dropped off at public squares or popular places. Theres a HUGE drug war going on as we speak, and each side tries to out do the other. And it's daily, as in Everyday there's bodies found. In fact about two or three days ago, a truck dumped 49 mutilated bodies on the highway. Most headless, and armless. Again products of the drug war. Thats why the majority of people that go there rarely leave the resort their staying at. There's also lots of kidnapping that goes on for ransom. Lots of it gets hidden away, or the media hardly reports on it because their afraid of losing the tourism, But I can tell you from experience, it's not a safe place so try to always stay with a group, safety in numbers. Good luck, stay safe.
    now you scared the guy. it's not so bad, but staying with a group is always a good idea.
    the good news is that you will eat better than you ever did in the U.S. if you like fresh orange juice you will be in Heaven. if you like quesadillas and fresh guacamole this is Nirvana. The people are nice, friendly, and helpful. but be aware of your surroundings and keep your eyes on your gear, for the few bad apples. Puebla is beautiful, especially architecturally. Mexico is a wonderful country, going thru a rough time. No, I'm not mexican, but, as a news cameraman, I have traveled there a lot. by the way, if you have a press pass, bring it. better than documentary: press.

8. Collapse Details
    Our trip went fantastic! No issues at all really the only place we had a problem was in houston coming back into the country they were the ones to give us a hard time.

F3 did really well most people much prefer the picture to that of the f900. My guess is because of the Dof and the picture is a little more saturated naturally compared to the F900. Its real sticking point is doing hand held work. Even with a decident vocus hand held rig the egonomics of the f900 are far better for run a gun. I know the f3 isn't a run a gun camera, but when working the 900 it just makes it even more apparent. I would love it if some company some where some day would make a super 35 camera in a standard ENG camera body. I would love that.
    Mike Jeffs
    Video Production Coordinator
    BYU-Idaho

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12