Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Is the Canon 85mm 1.8 overkill for a 60D? video and photo
    I'm itching to buy a prime for my 60D. I currently shoot with a Tamron 17-50, but it would be nice to have something with a shallower DOF. I shoot some photos for fun, usually bike races and cars, so more reach would be nice to have. 70-200 is out of my price range for now. I'm just worried the 85mm would be too long for day to day video work. Maybe a 35mm prime would be better? I don't know... Thoughts?

2. Collapse Details
    I own and shoot with this lens and its pretty good - sometimes prone to ca in certain circumstances. f2 being better than f1.8
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

3. Collapse Details
    Senior Member gonzo_entertainment's Avatar
    That will fall right into the range of my primary lens for closeups on FF (85 X 1.6 = 136mm). It will look awesome I am sure, but kind of limited for general use.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by J Davis View Post
    I own and shoot with this lens and its pretty good - sometimes prone to ca in certain circumstances. f2 being better than f1.8
    thanks for the info! Local shop will have one on monday, I think I'm going to run by and give it a test. I might hate it for handheld photos, which is 99% of the photos I take unless it's timelapse. This would be primarily a video lens.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo_entertainment View Post
    That will fall right into the range of my primary lens for closeups on FF (85 X 1.6 = 136mm). It will look awesome I am sure, but kind of limited for general use.
    That's the other thing, if I'm shooting video of someone, I don't wanna be right in their face with the camera. Then again, I have a HMC150 I could use for that.

6. Collapse Details
    Senior Member gonzo_entertainment's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
    That's the other thing, if I'm shooting video of someone, I don't wanna be right in their face with the camera. Then again, I have a HMC150 I could use for that.
    Like I said, it will be a great closeup lens, maybe some medium shots too (if you're 15 or 20 feet away)

7. Collapse Details
    just watch out for bad CA on high contrast edges in the out of focus background
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

8. Collapse Details
    I use my 50mm more often than my 90mm, but you've got that covered already, and it does add some flexibility; in any case, if you don't need the AF for stills, I'd rather get the samyang 85mm f/1.4: a bit softer actually, but with absolutely incredible bokeh, check the tests in the links here: http://www.similaar.com/foto/equipme...c.html#samyang

9. Collapse Details
    For weddings, I consider the 85/1.8 to be a sniper lens on my 7D. I can catch candids with good isolation and very fast AF.

For video, I used it to isolate couples on the dance floor and used a Manfrottto 560B for support. Worked very well.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    I use my 50mm more often than my 90mm, but you've got that covered already, and it does add some flexibility; in any case, if you don't need the AF for stills, I'd rather get the samyang 85mm f/1.4: a bit softer actually, but with absolutely incredible bokeh, check the tests in the links here: http://www.similaar.com/foto/equipme...c.html#samyang
    you love samyangs. I've been checking them out...very very nice. thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast